Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
An I weird for liking the Persecution Mania re-record of Outbreak of Evil way more than the original? The riff just sounds so badass with Frank Blackfire playing it.
Nope. As far as I'm concerned, if it weren't for Blackfire, Sodom never would have become the thrash titans that they are known as now.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Slayer - Haunting the Chapel - August 4, 1984

This EP, this little tiny 3-song EP is where thrash becomes THRASH. It's almost immediately recognizable. As "Chemical Warfare" kicks in, there's a noticeable increase in darkness, in aggression, in violence... and then Araya comes in sounding like a demented madman and it's settled: this is what thrash will be. "Chemical Warfare" is easily the best song here, and among the best in Slayer's vast catalog. The other two are still good, just a little less so. The title track really has an "Angel of Death" vibe going on during the verse. The guitar solos are a little more towards that dissonant style that Slayer would develop later but still pretty good, and Lombardo still isn't amazing either. This is some quality, early thrash though. I just wish there was more of it.

Standouts: All three songs, but especially Chemical Warfare

Score: 8.5/10
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM

Voivod - War and Pain - August 10, 1984

This just isn't very good. I've never been a big fan of Voivod, but truth be told I've only ever listened to their first three albums, which is probably the reason I just can't bring myself to listen to their later material. At any rate, we're talking about War and Pain right now, and to me, they should have just called it Pain. It's not a complete train wreck, but this is some pretty sloppy, messy, Motorhead-tinged speed/thrash. The vocals are OK, the lyrics are ridiculous, some nice riffs and leads show up every now and then, and the whole thing just kind of runs into one long cacophony that doesn't hold my attention one bit.

Standouts: Voivod, Blower

Score: 3/10
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - August 15, 1984

So 11 days earlier, Slayer cracks the door to the world of thrash metal open, much like a deranged Jack Nicholson in The Shining with Haunting the Chapel. On this day, August 15, 1984 (coincidentally my younger brother's second birthday) Metallica blasts the motherfucker open with this masterpiece and slays everybody in that dang room! Metallica go at it a little differently than Slayer though. While Jack's simple and effective axe is a perfect metaphor for Slayer's brutal and ultra-violent style, Metallica go with a katana -- an equally effective killing tool, but there is a beauty in its killing style. Metallica make thrash a true artform with this one.

This album is perfect in nearly every way. I've heard it countless times and I can still sit and listen to it, eyes closed, from front to back and not get bored or antsy, as I just did now. The production is unbelievable. You can't show me an album 28 years later that sounds better than this album. The arrangement is masterful. So good in fact that Metallica would virtually clone it two years later with Master of Puppets. The one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Ride the Lightning" is devastating. The following of the beautiful and moving "Fade to Black" with the all-out thrasher "Trapped Under Ice" is equally so. And the album closer, oh what a fucking closer! An instrumental that truly transcends genres, "The Call of Ktulu" is a nearly 9-minute epic, with Cliff's bass wailing and groaning like the mythical sea beast that the song was titled after.

As far as I'm concerned this is the album that really announced the genre's arrival. I had to double-check that it was indeed released in 1984! I mean, look at what we've heard so far. There's nothing that even approaches the level of songwriting, musicianship and production values within the genre.

OK, I guess I'm done gushing. This will probably end up being the longest review I write in here, and it was the easiest as well.

Standouts: Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire

Score: 10/10
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
One who onions things

Yes yes and yes. I couldn't agree with you on this one more, although I'd argue that Reign in Blood has the best production out of all the thrash albums. Still though, to me Ride the Lightning is one of the best metal albums of all time- it's definitely the best thrash album by a long stretch anyway.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 03-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Ride ze Lightning!

Dude, that was a great review. This thread rules because you're putting these albums that most everybody knows into a new light. I knew that Haunting the Chapel and RtL came out in the same year and I knew that RtL was a pretty early thrash album but I never really consider what the scene was like up to that point or how close some of these landmarks actual release days are to each other. Because it seems like so long ago to me, these albums seem to exist in my mind in a vacuum called "the 80's" but the way you highlight them and their predecessors does a great job of demonstrating the musical landscape that existed when these albums were released.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Ride ze Lightning!

Dude, that was a great review. This thread rules because you're putting these albums that most everybody knows into a new light. I knew that Haunting the Chapel and RtL came out in the same year and I knew that RtL was a pretty early thrash album but I never really consider what the scene was like up to that point or how close some of these landmarks actual release days are to each other. Because it seems like so long ago to me, these albums seem to exist in my mind in a vacuum called "the 80's" but the way you highlight them and their predecessors does a great job of demonstrating the musical landscape that existed when these albums were released.
Thanks for the kind words -- you too, Onioner.

That's the biggest revelation I've had so far. I've thought that Ride the Lightning is the best thrash album for a long time, but until I did this I never realized just how barren the thrash landscape was at that point. It's crazy... that album, to me, is basically the pinnacle of the genre before the genre even got going!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Ride The Lighting is a great album, the only thrash album that will be in my top 100 actually, and it will be pretty high up there.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Voivod - War and Pain - August 10, 1984

This just isn't very good. I've never been a big fan of Voivod, but truth be told I've only ever listened to their first three albums, which is probably the reason I just can't bring myself to listen to their later material. At any rate, we're talking about War and Pain right now, and to me, they should have just called it Pain. It's not a complete train wreck, but this is some pretty sloppy, messy, Motorhead-tinged speed/thrash. The vocals are OK, the lyrics are ridiculous, some nice riffs and leads show up every now and then, and the whole thing just kind of runs into one long cacophony that doesn't hold my attention one bit.

Standouts: Voivod, Blower

Score: 3/10
I'm glad I'm not the only person who just does not like Voivod. I'll go one further and say that I think they're probably one of my least favorite bands out there. When I saw them open for Down in 2009 it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. Then when I saw they were second billed on the Shockwave Festival last year I died a little inside knowing that I'd have to watch them again. But we all know how that turned out.

The only Voivod I've ever liked is that song Insects (which doesn't sound like most other Voivod) and that Pink Floyd cover (which again doesn't sound like them).

I don't even understand their importance. There are so many other bands that were way better around their time, as seen in this thread. Maybe I had to be there in the early 1980's to get it, but in 1992 I thought they sucked, then again in 2003 I thought they sucked and here we are in 2013 and I still think they suck.

Okay, I will say one nice thing about Voivod and that is that I like Blackie's bass sound. But it can't help the broken-robot guitar riffs and the godawful vocals. Godawful vocals.

Everything else on this thread has been top notch though.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Metallica - Ride the Lightning - August 15, 1984

So 11 days earlier, Slayer cracks the door to the world of thrash metal open, much like a deranged Jack Nicholson in The Shining with Haunting the Chapel. On this day, August 15, 1984 (coincidentally my younger brother's second birthday) Metallica blasts the motherfucker open with this masterpiece and slays everybody in that dang room! Metallica go at it a little differently than Slayer though. While Jack's simple and effective axe is a perfect metaphor for Slayer's brutal and ultra-violent style, Metallica go with a katana -- an equally effective killing tool, but there is a beauty in its killing style. Metallica make thrash a true artform with this one.

This album is perfect in nearly every way. I've heard it countless times and I can still sit and listen to it, eyes closed, from front to back and not get bored or antsy, as I just did now. The production is unbelievable. You can't show me an album 28 years later that sounds better than this album. The arrangement is masterful. So good in fact that Metallica would virtually clone it two years later with Master of Puppets. The one-two punch of "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Ride the Lightning" is devastating. The following of the beautiful and moving "Fade to Black" with the all-out thrasher "Trapped Under Ice" is equally so. And the album closer, oh what a fucking closer! An instrumental that truly transcends genres, "The Call of Ktulu" is a nearly 9-minute epic, with Cliff's bass wailing and groaning like the mythical sea beast that the song was titled after.

As far as I'm concerned this is the album that really announced the genre's arrival. I had to double-check that it was indeed released in 1984! I mean, look at what we've heard so far. There's nothing that even approaches the level of songwriting, musicianship and production values within the genre.

OK, I guess I'm done gushing. This will probably end up being the longest review I write in here, and it was the easiest as well.

Standouts: Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire

Score: 10/10

Well put.