MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
NO REMORSE AND SEEK AND DESTROY

YEAH I SAID IT
No Remorse is ok but Metal Militia sucks. It, Escape, and To Live is to Die are the bottom three songs from the first 4.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I like this reasoning a lot. A lot of the whole debate about the first thrash songs come from the fact that there were a gajillion protothrash acts like Motörhead, Accept, Raven, Saxon, Venom, any old school metal band that had songs driven purely by double bass drums really. Sticking to purely thrash should hopefully keep things simple, but are you going to include albums like say, Seven Churches? That's one that could debatably be first wave death metal or thrash. Are you also gonna be doing writeups on literally every thrash album, even the mediocre ones released by bands that no one except the thrash babies ever gave a shit about like Defiance, Atrophy and Toxik? You've got one hell of a task ahead of you if that's the case sir.

Now about Kill 'Em All, I'm with you on giving it an 8/10. I admire it's influence and significance, but I really don't listen to it very often at all. James just sounds so lame haha.
I originally was very ambitious about this and wanted to do fucking everything. I have since realized that that is a very daunting task. Actually it's daunting no matter how you look at it, but basically if I can find it, I'll listen to it, and judge whether or not it belongs. I've got a master list going and am removing albums that either aren't thrash enough or are just too obscure as I go.

As for Kill 'Em All not being a perfect album, everyone needs to take my ratings with a grain of salt. An 8 is a very strong rating. I'm basically looking at albums in two ways -- first, is it a good album in general? Second, is it a good THRASH album? Kill 'Em All is undoubtedly a good album, but it has weaker moments like Jump In the Fire and Motorbreath. Pulling Teeth, while a great display of Burton's bass skills is kind of unnecessary and overlong. I mean, do we need a 4-minute bass solo on the album? Live, yes play it for 8-minutes if you like! But, I have to confess that it usually falls victim to the skip button when I'm listening to the album.

Don't get me wrong though, I love that album. But if I'm being fair, I can't give it a 9.5 or 10.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I'm REALLY looking forward to reading what you post in this thread. It sounds like a ton of work, but it will be awesome! And I agree with your rating of Kill em All, 8-8.5 is totally accurate.
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I'd give it an 8 myself.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

I'll keep 'em comin' quick for the first little while...

Slayer - Show No Mercy - December 3, 1983

The second thrash LP! It's really a unique album for Slayer, nothing else in their catalogue sounds much like it. The main reason for that is probably the fact that, like Kill 'Em All, it's still really heavily rooted in the NWOBHM sound, albeit a bit more on the evil side with Slayer playing Venom to Metallica's Motorhead. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman actually bust out some pretty nice solos here too, which is something later Slayer records lack. Lombardo's work here is not his best, but it's lightyears ahead of Ulrich's. Sorry to keep comparing the two, but Show No Mercy and Kill 'Em All will always be linked in my mind. They were the first two, and still among the best.

Standouts: Crionics, The Antichrist, Black Magic

Score: 8.5/10
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

This is going to be an awesome thread, but Kill 'em All is a definite 10/10. Maybe the greatest album of all time (only Reign In Blood and Eternal Nightmare can compete).
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

art is subjective
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

8/10 is generous for Kill 'Em All IMO.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

Eh, I don't really think so. While Motorhead was certainly fast, people often describe Venom's playing as literally thrashing their instruments about instead of actually playing them. Include Venom (and possibly Anvil, much as I loathe them), then draw the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
No Remorse is ok but Metal Militia sucks. It, Escape, are the bottom three songs from the first 4.
GTFO
Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
art is subjective
look at this pleb
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores