Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Warrior -- San Marcos, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014

Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Thrash Through the Ages

Well, I know how much this community loves lists, but rather than do "My Top x number Albums of All-Time" or whatever, I'm going to do something I started on a different forum a little while ago. I'll be posting the same reviews that I wrote for that forum, so if you ARE a member of that one as well (I don't think there are any members of both), I apologize for the repetition.

Basically, what I'm doing is listening to and reviewing every thrash album (full-lengths and worthwhile EPs only) in order since the genre's birth in 1983. If i don't have an exact date for a release it gets reviewed at the beginning of the month, or at the end of the year if I don't even have a month. Keep in mind I'm no great writer. Some of the reviews will be a few sentences, others could be a few paragraphs. Also keep in mind that I'm doing this for fun and to satisfy my OCD. While the first few years are already written and should be posted pretty regularly, newer reviews may be weeks away from each other. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this trip down thrash metal memory lane... Oh, and I'm not posting Youtube links in my reviews. If you're interested, open a new tab and search for the song yourself! If you're having trouble finding something, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Metallica - Kill 'Em All - July 13, 1983
What can you say about an album like Kill 'Em All that hasn't already been said? It's really a groundbreaking piece of music, obviously influenced by the NWOBHM with most of the music being pretty heavily rooted in that style. One great thing about this album is that most of the songs fall into the 4 to 5 minute range, keeping things fresh and interesting, which is something Metallica would start to have trouble with as soon as 3 years later. Unfortunately, the writing is already on the wall for Metallica as the best tunes are the ones that Dave Mustaine helped write.

Standouts: The Four Horsemen, Metal Militia, Phantom Lord

Score: 8/10
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Kill em All's a 10/10 and this thread should start with Venom's Welcome To Hell.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Kill em All's a 10/10 and this thread should start with Venom's Welcome To Hell.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Kill 'Em All is not a perfect album, and I'm only reviewing pure thrash albums. Welcome To Hell is speed/black/NWOBHM, thus not included. Is it important to the thrash metal genre? Of course. Is it thrash? Nope. Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

At any rate, feel free to sound off on everything I post here. "Hey Gord that is/isn't fucking thrash!" "Hey Gord that album totally fucking sucks/rules, you're a fucking idiot!" ... and so on.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Four graves...

This thread shall kick copious amounts of ass.
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but Kill 'Em All is not a perfect album, and I'm only reviewing pure thrash albums. Welcome To Hell is speed/black/NWOBHM, thus not included. Is it important to the thrash metal genre? Of course. Is it thrash? Nope. Besides, if I were to include Venom, I'd have to include a whole lot of Motorhead, so let's draw the line somewhere.

At any rate, feel free to sound off on everything I post here. "Hey Gord that is/isn't fucking thrash!" "Hey Gord that album totally fucking sucks/rules, you're a fucking idiot!" ... and so on.
I like this reasoning a lot. A lot of the whole debate about the first thrash songs come from the fact that there were a gajillion protothrash acts like Motörhead, Accept, Raven, Saxon, Venom, any old school metal band that had songs driven purely by double bass drums really. Sticking to purely thrash should hopefully keep things simple, but are you going to include albums like say, Seven Churches? That's one that could debatably be first wave death metal or thrash. Are you also gonna be doing writeups on literally every thrash album, even the mediocre ones released by bands that no one except the thrash babies ever gave a shit about like Defiance, Atrophy and Toxik? You've got one hell of a task ahead of you if that's the case sir.

Now about Kill 'Em All, I'm with you on giving it an 8/10. I admire it's influence and significance, but I really don't listen to it very often at all. James just sounds so lame haha.
Neurosis/Bl'ast!/YOB (???) 12/29
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Headbanger

I'd love to hear the debate as to why Kill Em All isn't a perfect album....
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'd love to hear the debate as to why Kill Em All isn't a perfect album....
NO REMORSE AND SEEK AND DESTROY

YEAH I SAID IT
04/24 - Iron Reagan
05/13 - SLAYER
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I like this reasoning a lot. A lot of the whole debate about the first thrash songs come from the fact that there were a gajillion protothrash acts like Motörhead, Accept, Raven, Saxon, Venom, any old school metal band that had songs driven purely by double bass drums really. Sticking to purely thrash should hopefully keep things simple, but are you going to include albums like say, Seven Churches? That's one that could debatably be first wave death metal or thrash. Are you also gonna be doing writeups on literally every thrash album, even the mediocre ones released by bands that no one except the thrash babies ever gave a shit about like Defiance, Atrophy and Toxik? You've got one hell of a task ahead of you if that's the case sir.
you pretty much summarized what I was thinking haha
6/6-Ink n Iron
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Sounds like a cool idea. I'm listening to Metallica right now but coincidentally I don't listen to Kill 'Em All very often, not nearly as often as the three that came after it.
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg