Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM
N00B

Overkill was fucking awesome. It was my first time seeing them so I enjoyed the living hell out of their performance. As the OP said, they played everything but Infectious which I didn't mind, one of my lesser favorites off of Horrorscope. Testament on the other hand, very disappointing with Chuck's voice and all. I really didn't mind they cut the new songs to be honest. I only really wanted to hear True American Hate anyhow. But I really thought their sound was awful last night. I was up in front of the bar on that bar railing and it just sounded like crap. It was at the point where everything was just so loud that it sounded all mashed together and distorted. That and Chuck just seemed to be so low in the mix I could barely hear him. I thought Overkill's sound was spot on.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I'm surprised everyone is so upset that the new stuff got cut. The new album is totally mediocre, so I'd definitely take a bunch of classics over new stuff... depending on how Chuck actually sang the old stuff. If his voice is shot, that would really suck.
Get this: Not everybody thinks that. The album's been on plenty of year-end lists. At least they did Rise Up instead of Native Blood.

One song off the new record reminds me of back when Megadeth used to post their sets on the public forums. I asked why some random South American date was being advertised as the Endgame tour and they were only playing Headcrusher off it. This was right after the RiP tour, and apparently they were doing that in SA, which I didn't know. Anyway Mustaine got pissed, accused me of being an idiot that doesn't pay attention to the band, and as a result the setlists stopped being posted in the public section of the forum.

Because apparently asking why they're only playing one song off an album they're touring for is totally unreasonable and questioning Dave's sanity.

Last edited by anomynous; 02-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

I was simply glad Testament didn't cancel. Or Overkill for that matter. At times Bobby looked liked he was having difficulty. Walking pneumonia is a real pisser. Better to have something than nothing. Testament's sound was pretty poor. Being up front at the Palladium is awful for sound.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Overkill cancelled for tonight again
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

If you shoot a stand-alone show for DVD though then you're gonna have to overcome the issue of being rusty because you haven't played that set before or haven't played at all recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
It's the reason why Bruce Dickinson and Klaus Meine still totally own live, they held back onstage in the 80s and didn't destroy their voice night after night. And that's why Rob Halford is a shell of his old self, even if dude is sounding way better than he has in like 10 years. Rob screamed his throat out onstage all throughout the seventies and eighties which was awesome at the time, but the long term damage he caused is more or less irreparable now.
I don't disagree that Bruce sounds great now but back in the day his voice ranged from pretty good to totally shot between the World Slavery tour and the time he left Maiden. He recovered marvelously in the mid-90's but during their heyday Maiden was touring so much that it seemed to have torn him up pretty good.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Get this: Not everybody thinks that. The album's been on plenty of year-end lists. At least they did Rise Up instead of Native Blood.
Get THIS: Not everybody thinks that, either. It's not like they played deep cuts from The Ritual. I'd be perfectly happy seeing Disciples of the Watch, The Haunting, etc... Just because an album is "on plenty of year-end lists" doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't be going to a Baroness concert hoping to hear a bunch of Yellow and Green shit.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Get THIS: Not everybody thinks that, either. It's not like they played deep cuts from The Ritual.
Troubled Dreams, Return To Serenity, and Deadline would be great additions.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
Get THIS: Not everybody thinks that, either. It's not like they played deep cuts from The Ritual. I'd be perfectly happy seeing Disciples of the Watch, The Haunting, etc... Just because an album is "on plenty of year-end lists" doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't be going to a Baroness concert hoping to hear a bunch of Yellow and Green shit.
Go to a show in an album's tour cycle and hope they don't play stuff off it: makes sense. Just saying.

I'd rather hear stuff they might only play supporting Dark Roots than Disciples, which they've played every tour they've ever done pretty much.

Only reason I pointed out the year-end thing is because for being such a "mediocre" album, a lot of people sure do like it.

Last edited by anomynous; 02-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Go to a show in an album's tour cycle and hope they don't play stuff off it: makes sense. Just saying.

I'd rather hear stuff they might only play supporting Dark Roots than Disciples, which they've played every tour they've ever done pretty much.

Only reason I pointed out the year-end thing is because for being such a "mediocre" album, a lot of people sure do like it.
Fair enough. I don't know, I just haven't been in love with anything Testament has done since The Gathering outside of a few songs, so I'm perfectly content to hear Skolnick shred on old shit. I'm sure there are a lot of people who enjoy the new stuff just fine... but if I were to choose, Overkill would be headlining and playing a whole lot off of Ironbound and The Electric Age.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

I just don't get why they want to "save" Chuck's voice, but still leave DNR & Formation in the set.

wut.

Tags
flotsam and jetsam, lich king, overkill, testament