Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
That Guy

I still hold my judgement. It's an album title, not a song title (at least not that we are aware of), it should have zero impact on the album itself. Hell most people have heard the song, Hollow, and that song is bad ass, why would the album suck now?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Hell most people have heard the song, Hollow, and that song is bad ass, why would the album suck now?
Does anyone remember when Judas Priest released the song "Nostradamus" and it was awesome, and then the album came out and the rest of it sucked?

I'm not saying, i'm just saying.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Does anyone remember when Judas Priest released the song "Nostradamus" and it was awesome, and then the album came out and the rest of it sucked?

Ok I will give you that.

BUT that wasn't because of the album title that it sucked, which is what people are thinking about this album.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Dave Meniketti is God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post

No, because that album was awesome & it's one of the best produced metal albums of the last 15 years. And they released "Prophecy", not "Nostradamus", as the first single.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
N00B

Maybe Prophecy was the first official single, but I remember Nostradamus being the first song released period, even if it was only online. Kind of like how for the last AIC album, A Looking In View was the first song people heard but the first official single was Check my Brain.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
No, because that album was awesome & it's one of the best produced metal albums of the last 15 years. And they released "Prophecy", not "Nostradamus", as the first single.
Prophecy may have been the first single, but Nostradamus and Visions were definitely released online before that song. I remember because those two songs were released near the end of my freshman year of high school and my friends and I thought those songs were awesome as hell and we were convinced that Nostradamus would rule. Nostradamus has enough great songs on it to fill a 45-50 minute LP, but as a two hour long double album it's about 60% interlude filler and mediocre songs. I give them credit for basically writing for themselves instead of for a particular audience for the first time since basically Stained Class, but the album as a whole really isn't very good. And as for the production, it's anything but one of the best produced of the last fifteen years or whatever. The strings all sounded like low quality keyboard samples, Ian's bass was pretty much non-existent, and Scott's drums were buried (and dude was forced to play the lamest drum parts he's ever done). If Priest had actually gone with a real producer instead of having Glenn and KK produce themselves, Nostradamus might have actually been pretty damn good.

As for AiC, I think Jerry knows that he can't really fuck with the songwriting formula he's got if he wants to still be successful. Chances are this album will be good, even if the title is weird and random.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Cowboy From Hell

The album title is nothing than a album title. The first song released Hollow sounds good and fits nicely with the other AiC material. I think the music will speak for itself and after it is released it will be good or not so good based on the music not the album title.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Cowboy From Hell

[quote=Onioner;512393]Prophecy may have been the first single, but Nostradamus and Visions were definitely released online before that song. I remember because those two songs were released near the end of my freshman year of high school and my friends and I thought those songs were awesome as hell and we were convinced that Nostradamus would rule. Nostradamus has enough great songs on it to fill a 45-50 minute LP, but as a two hour long double album it's about 60% interlude filler and mediocre songs. I give them credit for basically writing for themselves instead of for a particular audience for the first time since basically Stained Class, but the album as a whole really isn't very good. And as for the production, it's anything but one of the best produced of the last fifteen years or whatever. The strings all sounded like low quality keyboard samples, Ian's bass was pretty much non-existent, and Scott's drums were buried (and dude was forced to play the lamest drum parts he's ever done). If Priest had actually gone with a real producer instead of having Glenn and KK produce themselves, Nostradamus might have actually been pretty damn good.
QUOTE]

I agree with you on Nostradamus. It had its moments but was overall a disappointment. I am interested to see who produces the new album and what Ritchie Faulkner adds to the creative process. I would love to hear Priest return to something along the lines of Painkiller or Screaming For Vengeance.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Nostradamus would be really good as a single album, but not so much as a double.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Nostradamus would be really good as a single album, but not so much as a double.
Agree. Cut out the filler & no doubt there would be several killer tunes!!!