Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Brooklyn, NY -- November 19, 2014
Judas Priest -- Broomfield, CO -- November 19th, 2014
Threshold -- Ludwigsburg, Germany -- November 11th, 2014
Raven -- Westland, MI -- November 18, 2014

Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
with his arms outstretched

Honorable Mention #3
Suffocation – The Close of a Chapter: Live in Quebec City (2005)

I normally hate live albums. I find listening to the audio of a concert just doesn’t stack up to being there yourself. And live albums are usually just “greatest hits” or “best of” albums anyway and offer nothing I haven't heard before. So I almost never buy them and when I do I usually ask myself why I wasted my money. But this one stands out. Suffocation are a beast live, most people will agree that they’re one of the best live bands they’ve ever seen. But what draws me to this album is the vocals. I won’t lie that everything after Effigy of the Forgotten had a different vocal style and I didn’t like it as much. Even now on the eve of a new Suffocation album I’m expecting to be a little disappointed that Frank probably won’t go back to the gruff, caveman vocal style. But live their songs take on a whole other meaning for me because he tends to go back to that older gruff style. So songs like Thones of Blood, Pierced from Within and Funeral Inception are even better than they were on album. And lesser songs (pretty much anything from Souls to Deny) are transformed into classics that are awesome standing next to the older stuff. And anything off Effigy of the Forgotten is even better since they’re sped up a bit. The tracklist is a greatest hits of Suffocation (up to that point), but I’d say if you’ve never head Suffocation than this is actually a really good place to start.
Best song: what else; Liege Of Inveracity (here's a nice live version from 1991)
03/07 -- Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM

Honorable Mention #4

Immolation – Majesty and Decay (2010)

As a fan of death metal I really don’t know as much about Immolation as I should. This, and the album that came before it and the Providence EP, is pretty much all I’ve ever heard by them. But what I love about this album is that it has one thing that most death metal albums don’t: actual SONGS. I can hear the riff from A Token Of Malice, Majesty and Decay or The Rapture Of Ghosts and I automatically know that it’s Immolation and it’s from this album. I love blistering fast, super technical death metal from bands like Disgorge and Origin but let’s be honest, can you listen to any Disgorge song and tell me what the title is? And if I play another one can you tell me the title of that one? And if I play you ten songs would you even notice if I played the same one twice? I love that this album is brutal and heavy (and I mean fucking heavy) but after it’s all said and done I still have the riffs and songs stuck in my head.
Best song: Majesty and Decay

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-18-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Honorable Mention #5
Chrono Trigger OST (1995)

Not only is Chrono Trigger one of the best games I’ve ever played but it has one of the greatest soundtracks as well. Being a video game soundtrack there's well over sixty songs on this and I'll say that pretty much all of them are great (except the world map music from 65000000 BC, that's just annoying). It’s so impressive they were able to do so much with such a basic audio system. I don't know what the SNES worked off of but I'm sure it wasn't very advanced. It goes through so many emotions and fit every scene in the game perfectly. The scenes with Belthasar and his Nu in 2300 AD are pretty bleak as it is but the music just made it so much more depressive.
Favorite song: Sealed Door

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Does anyone reading this know who the MOD's are here? I'm trying to get the title of this thread changed.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Honorable Mention #6
Napalm Death
From Enslavement to Obliteration (1988)

Leaders Not Followers (1999)

the Code is Red…Long Live the Code (2005)

Smear Campaign (2006)

Even though I consider Napalm Death to be one of my favorite bands I didn’t have any of their albums in my top twenty. It’s probably just because I love Napalm Death as a whole. And while some of their albums may be a little better than others pretty much everything they’ve released has been solid. Of their earliest grindcore albums I prefer From Enslavement to Obliteration because the songs and production are just better and I like Lee Dorins vocals better. For some stupid reason though I always call it From Enslavement to Oblivion and I have to go back and correct every post I make that makes mention of it. Like this one, I had to correct myself three times. Leaders Not Followers is awesome because it’s short, sweet and has two of the most brutal ND songs of all time in Incinerator and Nazi Punks Fuck Off (even though they’re covers). And the one-two punch of the Code is Red…Long Live the Code and Smear Campaign is just awesome. If any album by them was to have made it into my top twenty it would probably have been the Code is Red…Long Live the Code.
Favorite Song (From Enslavement to Obliteration): Uncertainty Blurs The Vision
Favorite Song (Leaders Not Followers): Incinerator
Favorite Song (the Code is Red…Long Live the Code): Right You Are
Favorite Song (Smear Campaign): Sink Fast, Let Go

I also love how terrible some of their videos are. If you watched the one for Incinerator you probably noticed that it didn't even look like Barney was singing that song. I think the one for Suffer the Children was like that too, and I think their were a few more as well.

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM

Honorable Mention #7

Final Fantasy OST (1988 - present)
Specifically Final Fantasies IV, VI, VII, XII and XIII

On my iTunes I have close to nine hundred Final Fantasy songs. And I don’t even have them all. To pick a favorite Final Fantasy song is next to impossible. I could say Who…Are You? from Final Fantasy VII is my favorite Final Fantasy song. But then the random play on my iTunes could play Village & Void from Final Fantasy XIII-2 and I’d say it’s that was my favorite. To pick a favorite game soundtrack is even pretty hard. Each Final Fantasy soundtrack is a little different: the depressing/dark overtones of FF VII, the innocent throwback of FF IX, the modern J-Pop of FF XIII. But each fits the game it backdrops perfectly. I’ve been playing Final Fantasy games for over twenty years and most of them have been really good, while some of them have been really bad. But the one consistent is the music. I pick Final Fantasies IV and Vi as two of my favorites because they were really the only Final Fantasies I played up until 1998, so there's a lot of fond memories associated with those games and music. Final Fantasy VII has a really creepy soundtrack that's different from a lot of the other games. XII is probably my favorite Final Fantasy so it's only natural that I love the music. And XIII was a terrible game with probably my favorite soundtrack of them all. That's not to say all the rest of the games don't have great music. You can go back to the very first Final Fantasy on the NES and there are still a lot of great, memorable songs (who can forget the Marsh Caves or Matoya's Cave). Those are just my favorites.
Favorite Song (Final Fantasy IV): Tears of Sorrow
Favorite Song (Final Fantasy VI): Tina
Favorite Song (Final Fantasy VII): Who...Are You?
Favorite Song (Final Fantasy XII): Esper
Favorite Song (Final Fantasy XIII): Test of the L'Cie

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-23-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Honorable Mention #8

KoRn (1994)

KoRn - Life Is Peachy (1996)

It’s easy to hate KoRn. A lot of people blame them for bringing Limp Bizkit and the whole nu-metal thing into prominence in the late 1990’s. And a lot of their later music has been, to put it nicely, fucking terrible. But you have to take yourself back to 1995 when I got into them. Back then they were still an upper-tier underground band. There were still purists who hated them (only because of the rap influences) but there was a lot of excitement too for this band that was doing something that was really different. I’ve stated in a couple other posts here that while I love brutal, technical, mind-blowing music I also really like something catchy. KoRn’s first album wasn’t brutally heavy but it was still really heavy and more importantly each song stood out on its own. I personally loved the guitar work. The second album surpassed the debut by having that same style but sounded a little rawer to me. I’ll never forget when me and my friend Eric first bought that album and hit play. When the album started with Twist we looked at each other with our eyes bugging out. At the time it was the most insane music I’d ever heard in my life. In hindsight, a lot of KoRns music is something that I loved when I was younger but grew out of. I listen to some of it now and wonder what the hell I saw in it. But there’s still a lot of music from these first two albums that I love. My dad fucking hated KoRn too, so as a teenager that made me like them even more.
Favorite Song (KoRn): Clown
Favorite Song (Life is Peachy): Chi

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Honorable Mention #9

Woods of Ypres – Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat (2002)

I’ve only heard a couple of WoY’s albums and all the other ones I heard I found were too long and full of a lot of filler. But this album (a demo actually) was something really special. It was a totally different band at the time with David Gold only playing the drums. He did, however, write the entire thing. This album is a lot rawer than anything I've heard from them. The first song (two songs actually) is just an unrelenting attack that goes on for close to ten minutes. It never really gives up and for it never gets old either. It’s too bad it fades out because I could’ve put up with at least ten more minutes of it. The two other members left after this and David took over as frontman and vocalist. I really wish this incarnation of the band had of stuck around because they put out some really wicked black metal.
Favorite song: The Shams Of Optimism/Crossing The 45th Parallel (the two have to really be listened to as one so here's a really good live version that puts it all together)

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-01-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Honorable Mention #10

iwrestledabearonce Ė Itís All Happening (2009)

Iím prepared for all the shit Iíll get for naming this album one of my favorites, but I really donít care. I love this album for a lot of the same reasons I loved the Genghis Tron album in the top twenty. Just not knowing what was coming around the next corner. I donít really like the ďmetalĒ parts of this album but I really enjoy the experimental and techno parts. And I really like the singers singing voice. She reminds me of Bjork, who Iíve always liked too.
Favorite song: The Cat's Pajamas
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Honorable Mention #11

Sepultura – Chaos A.D. (1993)

Sepultura were one of the first really heavy bands I got into. I liked stuff like Nine Inch Nails and Type O Negative but Sepultura were a different league. You could almost call them a gateway band into death metal. My Sepultura story goes back to 1987-88. I was seven or eight years old and I had just seen a video on Muchmusic by Bon Jovi, I think it may have been Bad Medicine. I went to bed and all I could think was “is that the heaviest music there is out there, there has to be something heavier, I just want to see a band that’s a guy with a guitar just screaming into a microphone”. Remember, I was seven years old thinking this stuff! I don't even know if we had Nintendo yet so I don't know what was warping my mind. Anyway, a few years later (in 1994) I heard Sepultura and I remembered those thoughts I had as a young child and I realized I’d found that band. Thank you, Sepultura.
Favorite Song: Amen