Toxic Garbage Island
Wisdom Comes
Oroborus
*Drum Solo*
The Axe
Vacuity

Encore:
The Gift of Guilt

I could have sworn I heard some random instrumental jam or song before Toxic Garbage Island, though that was probably just the end of Art of Dying and I forgot.

The Elephants were marching last night indeed. Not much more to say about this show. I don't think there is a better band live than Gojira, in terms of the combination of heaviness, energy, and most importantly tightness. They just sound so fucking good live, I didn't even think sounding that good was possible. I've seen them in a live setting twice before (opening for In Flames in 2008 and last summer's Heavy TO where I thought they were the best performance on that whole festival that weekend), but seeing them headline in a club is something else. Obviously other factors go into what makes a concert the best concert ever, but in terms of just sheer performance by the band, Gojira takes the cake easily over any other band i've seen. It's not even close. Or even fair now that I think about it. Whoever their sound guy(s) is/are must have some sort of golden ear.

Not too familiar Devin Townsend's solo stuff, but i'm sure his set was the same as the other shows. Opened with More! which is awesome as it's probably the best song on Epicloud. Lucky Animals was obviously played, and he closed with Grace (I think). And Kingdom was probably played. Barely saw Atlas Moth thanks to the lines for the merch and bathroom (The Phoenix has one Men's washroom but I believe 3 for women. At a show with probably 70-80% dudes, it's a pain in the ass. Oh, and the neither of the stalls have a lock on them for some reason, so good luck if you ever have to take a shit while watching a show, which for me is usually more than the average person) but from what I did see/hear they aren't really my thing.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
N00B

Nice review, I agree the elephants were marching in full force last night. Backbone has to be one of the heaviest live songs I have ever heard.

From what I recall Devin Townsend played:

More!
Kingdom
Planet of the Apes
Lucky Animals
Juular
Grace

There was an extended jam session before Toxic Garbage Island - they had some dude in shorts come up and play guitar and sing. They described him as "a real death metal growler" and he did indeed have some good growls. I am not sure who he was, anyone else who might have been there recognize him?
04/24 - Nile
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
There was an extended jam session before Toxic Garbage Island - they had some dude in shorts come up and play guitar and sing. They described him as "a real death metal growler" and he did indeed have some good growls. I am not sure who he was, anyone else who might have been there recognize him?
That was the drummer of Gojira
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
That was the drummer of Gojira
Perfect, that makes sense. I didn't get a good look at him as I was at the back of the venue at that point because it was all ages so they made you drink at the rear of the venue.
04/24 - Nile
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
Backbone has to be one of the heaviest live songs I have ever heard.
This. When I saw them open for In Flames in 08, this song completely floored me and turned me into a fan.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 AM
N00B

Seeing Gojira for the first time Saturday night in Philly I'm pumped
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I could have sworn I heard some random instrumental jam or song before Toxic Garbage Island, though that was probably just the end of Art of Dying and I forgot.
Assuming they did the same thing there that they did here... That was just a part of Toxic Garbage Island slowed down and made a bit more mellow-sounding, leading up to the actual song.

...Fuck I still can't believe how goddamn awesome this show was. Definitely the best I've ever seen.

I've actually been able to enjoy other concerts a lot more because I feel like I finally witnessed concert perfection - I'm no longer concerned with searching for the highest possible amazement. Now I just enjoy whatever is there and don't get hung up on the rest of the details. Thank you Gojira.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Devin should really have pulled Planet of the Apes from the set and played three shorter, better songs.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Tags
devin townsend project, gojira