Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I've never really thought Tool were a great live band
I'd venture a guess that you've never seen them live, then, because this statement is the exact opposite of why true TOOL fans love them. Their musicianship is impeccable live - they are just as tight on stage as they are on album - and the visuals are out of this fucking world. A TOOL show is almost a religious experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
they've become the band radio rock fans brag about liking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_M_S View Post
it was like 12,000 meatheads shouting FUCKIN' TOOOOOL and PLAY THE SOBER SONG and moshing as hard as possible, so that shattered my reverie pretty quickly
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I actually like the band less because of those people. They are a genius band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
This.
Not liking a band because they have some dipshit fans is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I came here for 3rd Strike setlists, where are the 3rd Strike setlists

Oh so having your experience marred by the ignorance of other people can just be easily written off, never mind, I take it all back
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_M_S View Post
Oh so having your experience marred by the ignorance of other people can just be easily written off, never mind, I take it all back
Actually...yes.

You chose to focus on the meatheads rather than on the completely awesome band on the stage in front of you, the completely awesome sounds filling your ears, and the completely awesome visuals taking place all around you. Sounds rather weak, if you ask me. Know how I know this? Because you claimed that there were "12,000 meatheads" in the crowd. In other words, you let the shenanigans of a few folks get to you so badly, that you let your imagination run wild and multiplied those few meatheads times about a thousand. I realize you were just being figurative and it's not really about the numbers, but still dude. Really?

Personally, no amount of asshole fans - which every band has, by the way - could ever totally ruin a show for me. Piss me off, yes. Ruin the entire experience? No fucking way. Especially not something as monumental as a TOOL show.

Sorry to the other readers of this thread for the above rant, but I've just about had it up to here with people ripping on this band because they have a few douchebag fans. That's just stupid logic any way you slice it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I came here for 3rd Strike setlists, where are the 3rd Strike setlists

You're talking to the 17-year-old irrational, emotional Tool fan version of me, who doesn't give a fuck about your point. 28-year-old me is much different now and would be able to enjoy it just fine, but back then it ruined it
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Fair enough, but I'm sick of all the other fuckheads I constantly have to tolerate hating on TOOL because they have a few idiot fans. Like that's something new for any big band.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Fair enough, but I'm sick of all the other fuckheads I constantly have to tolerate hating on TOOL because they have a few idiot fans. Like that's something new for any big band.
When it comes to seeing them live the douches are a factor(as are set lists and ticket prices)
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
That Guy

That works for me, I won't ever knock Tool for their fanbase....I've just never thought of them anymore than just a Meh type of band. They aren't doing anything that King Crimson didn't do better, just doing it in an era that would get them recognition.

Great musicians, but never been my bag.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Not liking a band because they have some dipshit fans is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Oh I'm not saying I don't like them. I'll see them multiple times within my area even with the same set if they come around.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
I'd venture a guess that you've never seen them live, then, because this statement is the exact opposite of why true TOOL fans love them. Their musicianship is impeccable live - they are just as tight on stage as they are on album - and the visuals are out of this fucking world. A TOOL show is almost a religious experience.
I've seen them three times, dude. Each time I saw them it was basically the same damn thing. Everyone standing still, Maynard standing in front of a big screen with trippy shit going on. Yes they are tight as fuck and great musicians as well, but their performances have never done a whole lot for me. One of my older buddies said he had been to a few Tool shows in the mid-90's and said they were some of the craziest shows ever. It's fucked to think that they were all that crazy with the shit they do now. My wife went to one Tool show without me because it was on the same night as the Sacrifice reunion show. She said it was much different than usual and Maynard was all over the stage. I believe her but I'm glad I chose Sacrifice anyways.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM
N00B

I know they aren't the same band, but I saw A Perfect Circle headline a festival in 2011 and it was a lot of standing around and as a result more than half the crowd left

Id never deny the talent they have, but the stage performance just isn't working for me, also irony of people mentioning idiots yelling for "Sober" was they didn't do it when I saw them
Mayhem Festival
Kiss/Def Leppard
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper