311 -- Lansing, MI -- July 9th, 2014
Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
N00B

In Flames -- Athens, GA -- February 4th, 2013

Let me start off by saying that this was easily one of the best shows I've seen any band put on. Originally I was a bit concerned about the venue size, but as soon as the show started, all qualms were put to rest. In fact, the small size worked to my advantage, as this meant that there were no barricades, allowing me to literally lean on the stage throughout the night.

The first band of the night was Battlecross. It's hard to describe their style, but they're quite good, and they didn't seem to mind that they were only playing for about 30 people (more people trickled in later). Unfortunately, I'm not terribly familiar with them, so I don't have a setlist.

Next up was All Shall Perish. I'm not usually a fan of deathcore, but these guys have a great energy about them. When I saw them at Mayhem Fest a few years ago I just kind of shrugged them off, but seeing them up close and personal made for a better show. I don't know their music, but I do know they played My Retaliation and closed with Wage Slaves

The last of the openers was Demon Hunter. To be quite honest, I'm not sure why these guys are on the tour, but it definitely seemed like they had their audience. Most of their set was from the last two albums, but they closed with Storm the Gates of Hell

Finally came In Flames. Before they even played the first note, people went crazy. Anders stopped in front of me and shook my hand before picking up his mic, and the band launched into Sounds of a Playground Fading. The next 90 minutes were an absolute blast. After a song or two, some drunk guy kept yelling for Trigger, and Anders kept telling him, "Not tonight, sorry friend!" Eventually they gave in, and played the best live version of Trigger I've heard to date. The entire band was all smiles the entire night, and you could tell they were really enjoying the crowd. Anders had some great banter with the audience, criticizing their choices of beer, taking a sip of some dude's Guinness, joking about how they let their songs "age until perfection" so they can break them out again, and talking about how the venue reminded them of shows they used to play back in Gothenburg back in the 90s for small rowdy crowds. Speaking of which, I've never seen so many people crowdsurf at a show! I'd say a good 3-4 people per song would jump up on stage, high five a band member, and jump into the crowd. Security clearly frowned upon it and yanked the first guy off stage, but eventually they seemed to realize it was a loosing battle and gave in. The only downside is that a few drunken idiots seem to have broken one of the lights at the front of the stage. The best part of the night came after In Flame's set ended. I typically stick around to let traffic wane out a bit, so my friend and I hung around the stage for a few minutes while the crew began to deconstruct the set. On a whim and not expecting the dude to say yes, I asked a roadie if I could get the night's setlist. Sure enough, he said yes, ripped it off the stage and handed it to me! If I could figure out how to upload pictures I would, but in the meantime, I'll just write out the set. I'm bummed that they didn't play Colony, but I'm extremely happy with this set overall:

Sounds of a Playground Fading
Where the Dead Ships Dwell
Pinball Map
TRIGGER!!
Reroute to Remain
Embody the Invisible
Cloud Connected
The Hive
Ropes
Alias
Fear is the Weakness
Darker Times
All for me
Mirror's Truth
System
Deliver Us
Take This Life
My Sweet Shadow

TL;DR - Great show, great venue, shook hands with Anders multiple times, the band was extremely happy to be there, I managed to get a setlist
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
N00B

Great review. 18 songs? That's cool.

I really hope they'll bring back Colony though, one of my favorite IF songs.
The last time I saw them play it was 2002.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Pretty disappointing that Colony's already gone.

07/25 - Anthrax / Living Colour
07/31 - Chicago / REO Speedwagon
08/14 - Paul McCartney
10/30 - King Diamond
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
the light in the darkness that never ends

Still playing 7 songs off the new cd on the 3rd US tour for this album? really? I'd probably go if they kept colony, but every one of these songs has been played on their last few US tours except reroute. I guess I shouldn't find it surprising anymore, but its literally been the same 20 songs over and over again the last 5 years.

I've been to all their US headlines since 08, and who would have ever thought you would be able to say you've seen The Hive 3 times and Embody twice, but not 1 other song off whoracle or colony, or even OFTW for that matter.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoz View Post
Still playing 7 songs off the new cd on the 3rd US tour for this album? really? I'd probably go if they kept colony, but every one of these songs has been played on their last few US tours except reroute. I guess I shouldn't find it surprising anymore, but its literally been the same 20 songs over and over again the last 5 years.

I've been to all their US headlines since 08, and who would have ever thought you would be able to say you've seen The Hive 3 times and Embody twice, but not 1 other song off whoracle or colony, or even OFTW for that matter.
I view it like I view seeing Tool again; yes, I'm probably going to get the same songs, but each experience is different. I wish they'd play more off of Clayman, Whoracle, or ANYTHING off of Jester Race, but for $25 it's worth it to me.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Great review. 18 songs? That's cool.

I really hope they'll bring back Colony though, one of my favorite IF songs.
The last time I saw them play it was 2002.
Nice try Anders
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

I'm quite surprised the dropped the title track to Come Clarity! That's always a crowd favorite and such a great light up the lighters and cell phones/sing along song.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
I'm quite surprised the dropped the title track to Come Clarity! That's always a crowd favorite and such a great light up the lighters and cell phones/sing along song.
I think it's the worst live song in their entire repertoire.

07/25 - Anthrax / Living Colour
07/31 - Chicago / REO Speedwagon
08/14 - Paul McCartney
10/30 - King Diamond
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost at Number One View Post
I think it's the worst live song in their entire repertoire.
From the description, I'd say every band's song that like is the worst in their live catalogue.

07/21-Devourment (?)
07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
N00B

I haven't been to the GA Theatre since it burned down a few years back. How does it shape up as a metal venue? Does the floor still slope down so you get a good view even if you're at the back?
10/28 Priest
11/22 Slayer

Tags
all shall perish, battlecross, demon hunter, in flames