Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Well put. I love it as well, but it's not their very best.

Nailed it. You should try "Black Widow" next, if you haven't already, and then work your way backwards.

Interesting. I've felt this way all year, and to be honest, I haven't given the album much time in the listening queue because of it. Might have to rethink that.

Nailed it again. Loved it at first listen, and I still do. I liked a couple dozen albums more, but this one is still fantastic.
Thanks for the insights man! Glad my opinions are not too far off
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM

3. Enabler - All Hail the Void

I'm not really sure how to describe this album. I's crusty hardcore/metal, but I don't really want to limit it with any more labels. One of the best bands of the Southern Lord crust metal wave. I was really blown away when I listened to the album; I liked their previous material, but I REALLY liked this album. The songs are intense but still really catchy, I can't stop listening! I was bummed about missing them on the Black Breath/Martyrdod tour, but I was lucky to catch them later this year headlining a small bar. They sounded amazing live, and the material from this album came across greatly in that setting. I really hope this band continues to get the recognition they deserve, and I highly anticipate future material!

Sample Tracks:
Speechless
True Love
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

I think I may have preferred 'Eden Sank to Grief,' but this album is fantastic as well. The tone is pretty chuggy at times, though

Oh, and that Tragedy album rules.

Last edited by larvtard; 01-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM

2. Torche - Harmonicraft

Torche is a stoner metal band, but they are way more poppy and catchy than most bands of this style. Usually I'm not a big fan of overly catchy stuff, but Torche is just amazing at what they do. They can have faster, catchier songs, and then get heavy out of nowhere, and I love both styles from them. This album features some of the best material of their career in my opinion, and I spent more time with this album than probably any other new release in 2012 (it doesn't hurt that this is accessible enough to play around other people in the car or whatever with no complaints). Saw them live with COC and they were awesome. I wish I had this album back when I was into the whole skater thing, this is perfect Tony Hawk video game music.

Sample Tracks:
Walk it Off
Reverse Inverted
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
I think I may have preferred 'Eden Sank to Grief,' but this album is fantastic as well. The tone is pretty chuggy at times, though
Yeah both are great! I think I just spent a little more time with this one so I connect with it a little more And I do know what you mean about the tone, but I think I'm able to look past it since there's so much other cool stuff going on.

Only one album left!! Any guesses on the album that topped all others for me in 2012? If you know what I'm into it's not too hard to guess .
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
N00B

I don't so it'll be a surprise to me!
There's one major album from this year that is similar to others you have on your list which I don't see, yet, so maybe it's that one. On the other hand, maybe it's low enough not to have made your list at all. hmmmm. You may have dropped a hint in another post you made this afternoon in a different thread.

Last edited by markrz; 01-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrz View Post
I don't so it'll be a surprise to me!
There's one major album from this year that is similar to others you have on your list which I don't see, yet, so maybe it's that one. On the other hand, maybe it's low enough not to have made your list at all. hmmmm. You may have dropped a hint in another post you made this afternoon in a different thread.
I think you got it!
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM

1. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

Here it is, the top album of 2012 for me. The album that most won me over and contained songs that stuck with me the most. This album got a lot of hype this year, but they are another band that really lives up to their name. Black Breath plays crusty metal/hardcore, and while it isn't mindblowingly unique or experimental, they are hard to really categorize. The album features lots of fast, thrashy songs with hardcore vocals and tons of energy. I've listened to this album plenty of times this year, and I haven't got remotely sick of it. This band is one of the most exciting out there for me right now, and I am still bummed I missed them on thour this year (I know I've brought that up a few times, but that lineup was perfect for me). Oh well, hopefully I'll see them at NEMHF or somewhere else, and I will continue to be a big fan in the meantime!

Sample Tracks:
Feast of the Damned
Doomed
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM

So I guess that's it! Top 15 live shows and top 20 albums of the year. I'm kinda bummed I'm done but relieved I don't have to work on it anymore . Thanks for checking it out, hope you enjoyed reading it! I definitely enjoyed making this thing.
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
N00B

I missed out on their show w/ Martyrdod this year too. I was all set to go and then I didn't for a goofy reason. But I did get to see them in '11 when they played with Phantom Glue, Motherboar and Hivesmasher. Show was packed and was a total riot.