Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
That Guy

MPF's Music Year In Review 2013

Hey guys. is it already that time of year?

No it's not November 2013, yet, but as I promised myself in the 2012 thread. I'm not spending my last two months of the year, staying 18 hours a day reviewing music, doing my radio show, interviewing bands, band practice, and my every day life without being able to take a break. So I'm starting early.

As of right now I already have 2 GBs of 2013....and i thought this year would be easier on me. Haha, I should have known. I will be doing reviews also for a few different start up magazine, and a website that some of you guys may be familiar with you are into Jukebox's and Metal.

Starting when I wake up tomorrow, I will be doing pretty much every album i get the chance to check out. Every single one. the only exceptions would be if the music is completely unbearable to my ears, or if the quality of the promo that I get is so bad that I can't make it through a song (both of these cases will be about 1% of all the music I get this year.

So expect the best, worst, mediocre and ok albums in Rock, Metal, Post, Black, Death, thrash, Doom, Post Prog, Fucked Up, Avant Garde, and anything other genre of Rock and Metal that come my way this year. I have a feeling this will be a great year.

*A note, NONE of these albums will be downloaded illegally, everything I review I either get as an advanced promo from one of the review sites or my radio show, a copy of the album from the bands themselves, or albums that I by myself. the only thing illegal about this how much of a crime it is that women aren't into Drummers who host radio shows, interview bands and get advanced copies of albums*

LET IT ALL COMMENCE.......TOMORROW!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

You should post the unbearable stuff, I find those reviews entertaining. When I skim the reviews pages in magazines I skip the ones ranked with a 6/10 to a 9/10 because that's average. But when I see a 1/10 I read it just to see what the hell is wrong.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
You should post the unbearable stuff, I find those reviews entertaining. When I skim the reviews pages in magazines I skip the ones ranked with a 6/10 to a 9/10 because that's average. But when I see a 1/10 I read it just to see what the hell is wrong.
Haha I second this. If the review is for a 6/10 average metalcore band I will usually skip it but will always be sure to read a 1/10 just to see how awful it is.
04/24 - Nile
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

There used to be a magazine based out of Toronto called Unrestrained! They're gone now but they had some greay 0/10 and 1/10 reviews.

Going back even further there was a 'zine based out of Toronto again called Doom Hauled, it had some of the funniest reviews of bad albums ever. I remember when they did the first Slipknot. They gave it a zero and I remeber him saying something about "borrowing Johnathan Davis vocal pedal that makes you rap badly and swear a lot". Even though I like that album I thought it was awesome.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
That Guy

By unbearable I did mean production wise. I mean I did listen and review the last In This Moment album.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
That Guy

Alright guys, I am about to start, but before I do, I must stress again everything here is legal, so if I am reviewing an album that is not out yet, it is is because it is an advanced promo copy. So either look the stuff up on Youtube or wait for the album to be released before doing some possible illegal endeavors.

Also there is absolutely zero order as to how I am reviewing these albums. just whatever pops up first, as tradition in these threads of mine. Also I am changing the rating system. It will now be out of 5, with half points if needed. But as I have been doing since 2009, all ratings will be their own entity. Meaning I'm not reviewing on a scale. I review each album is if it is the only album to come out this year so I grade the album on my own preference to said album. *Basically, ff you were confused by my ratings last year of giving a lot of albums 8, 9, 9.5, and 10 you will be just as confused this year with it being out of 5*

Alright, so the next post will be the first album of the year. stick around!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
That Guy

*One last note, each album will get it's own post this time around. This is going to be a full year thread so why not?*

Mario: HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOO

1.) Incura- Incura

I just got this album today. While some may say that is way too early to review, I have been doing this for 5 years now, so it will be ok I promise. Incura just put out their self titled album available as a free stream (check their Facebook for the stream). I gotta admit this is one of the most thought out well produced Rock epics I have heard in a very long time. While it is landscaped in a My Chemical Romance style opera story like The Black Parade. The band is as if Cedric from The Mars Volta joined Fair To Midland. The production is stellar. The musicianship and songwriting is top notch. The vocals, Damn this guy can sing, some very nice tasteful screams in just a couple songs, but mainly focused is the TMV style falsettos, which is a great touch with the aggression and melodies that are being displayed. Unlike TMV this is not one long free form jam album, this is well thought out and spectacular. This has top 20 of the year written all over it This is the album for fans of Alternative Prog Rock with some nice touches of aggression. Seriously some impressive work. Check it out while it is still fresh out of the oven by just a couple hours.

4.5/5
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
That Guy

2.) Pilotless Drone- The Other Road

This magnificent 2 man project from the US is worthy of some major praise, once they get recognition. A great combination of Prog and Alternative Rock with some laid back Metal at times. The Other Road will keep your attention rolling once you get into it. The vocals are reminiscent of the band Earshot, which do help to give it the Alternative Rock aspect to the band. One major surprise is that the last song is cover of the song Coil, by Opeth, it is done exceptionally well. the album is available on their bandcamp page as a PAY What You Want deal, which even if you go the free route, is very much worth it. check out this great stuff!

4/5
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
That Guy

3.) Cult Of Luna- Vertikal

This is a great crowning achievement in Post Metal. Cult Of Luna has been a powerhouse of Post Metal for so long, this album is no different. With a heavy lyrical influence from the movie, Metropolis, This album explores some new territory in Post Metal that has not been done in quite some time. there is a ton of dynamics and explorations on this album including the nearly 19 minute epic, Vicarious Redemption. If you aren't normally into the Post Metal genre, this may just pass you by, but if you dig what can be done with the genre, this will easily be one of the best Post Metal albums of the year without question. Isis is gone, but we still have Cult Of Luna, be every thankful!

4.5/5
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
3.) Cult Of Luna- Vertikal

This is a great crowning achievement in Post Metal. Cult Of Luna has been a powerhouse of Post Metal for so long, this album is no different. With a heavy lyrical influence from the movie, Metropolis, This album explores some new territory in Post Metal that has not been done in quite some time. there is a ton of dynamics and explorations on this album including the nearly 19 minute epic, Vicarious Redemption. If you aren't normally into the Post Metal genre, this may just pass you by, but if you dig what can be done with the genre, this will easily be one of the best Post Metal albums of the year without question. Isis is gone, but we still have Cult Of Luna, be every thankful!

4.5/5
Thought this was really mediocre for them. Sucks too because Eternal Kingdom was sooo good. I:Weapon and Mute Departure are fucking beasts but Vicarious Redemption and In Awe Of are way too bloated with filler. The industrial and dubstep parts are cheesy too. lol With four out of the nine songs being being ambient interludes or the outro that's never a good sign either.