Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
He is actually no longer with them. They had a new drummer when I saw them at a FunFunFun Fest after show in November.
Oh yeah, that is true. I can't remember if he played on the new album or not (I want to say he did) but either way, the fact that he was in this band is surprising lol.
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM

10. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

Number 10 is an album that found its way onto many year-end lists. Pretty much everyone who is a fan of death metal and grindcore was anticipating this release, and when it came out, I had to give it a spin. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt. I liked it, but I didn't know if if was as great as I had hoped it would be. After more listens, my opinion changed, and now I am a big fan of the album. Still can't say it's my favorite PxDx release, but definitely top 10 oof the year worthy.

Sample Tracks:
Machiavellian
Dirty Knife
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM

9. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes (EP)

I wasn't sure where I wanted to place this on the list since it is only an EP. But, it is just so amazing, I decided top 10 was necessary. Every Agalloch release is incredible, and this one is no exception. It is one song a little over 20 minutes long, and has the more black metal-infuenced sound found on Marrow of the Spirit. The whole song is exceptional, and I never get bored even though it is so long. They played it live on their summer tour, and I was in awe. This band will never let me down. If you haven't heard this yet, please give it a listen!

Sample Track:
Faustian Echoes
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 AM

8. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

I have really gotten into this band in the past year or so after not really knowing much about them before. I am so glad I started listening to them, and in a year that they had a new album coming out! I feel any fan of the band will like this. Their black/grind style with crazy vocals is just truly like nothing else. Probably not my favorite album of theirs, but they are another band where that means nothing, since just about all their stuff is incredible!

Sample Tracks:
You Can't Save Me, So Stop Fucking Trying
Forging Towards the Sunset
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM

7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian

I'm gonna be completely honest. When I first heard some songs from this album, I was not too impressed. The songs just seemed okay to me. After some time, I gave it a full listen, and my opinion was completely different. I really liked some of the different things they did on this album, while still sounding like ND. There is a reason they are grind/death metal legends; after all these years, they are still putting out high quality material. They had me worried, but they didn't let me down!

Sample Tracks:
The Wolf I Feed
Analysis Paralysis
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 AM

6. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

I have been a Deftones fan for years, and I love almost everything they have done. Diamond Eyes was an absolutely amazing album, and I was unsure if they would be able to come close on this one. Well, it is a different album, but there is tons of stuff to like on this one. The album has a lot of softer material, which is actually what I always seemed to like best form Deftones. The heavy/soft interplay that this band does is just so great, and they create a sound all their own. I definitely put this one up at the same level as Diamond Eyes. I can't wait to see them in March!

Sample Tracks:
Poltergeist
Gauze
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Down to the top 5! I've been taking too long on this, and I really want to just finish the last few posts. But, it's 6 AM and I haven't gone to bed yet, so I should probably do that Seriously though, thank you everyone who has checked out this list and thread in general. It really means a lot to see this getting some interest. I know I have said this a lot already, but it's the truth . Top 5 soon!
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM

5. Asphyx - Deathhammer

I love death/doom, and Asphyx is by far one of the best bands that play this style, at least in my opinion. I listened to it as soon as it came out, and I was blown away by what I was hearing. Super heavy and just crushing songs. Just played the whole thing recently and it is still just as great as the first time I heard it. I love their faster songs as well as the slower, more doomy tracks. Just a sick album all around.

Sample Tracks:
Reign of the Brute
As the Magma Mammoth Rises
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

4. Wolfbrigade - Damned

Wolfbrigade are back with another album, and holy shit is it a great one! I love so many d-beat/crust bands, but Wolfbrigade is definitely one of my favorites. They just strike the perfect balance of d-beat/crust/hardcore punk and metal/melody. If you are a metalhead who can't really get into punk, this would be a good album to start with, since there is a strong metal influence here. Energetic songs, heavy guitar tone, great vocals, it all comes together to make one of their best albums in awhile. "Ride the Steel" is one of the best songs I have heard all year, it just really stuck with me.

Sample Tracks:
Ride the Steel
From Beyond
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
10. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

Number 10 is an album that found its way onto many year-end lists. Pretty much everyone who is a fan of death metal and grindcore was anticipating this release, and when it came out, I had to give it a spin. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt. I liked it, but I didn't know if if was as great as I had hoped it would be. After more listens, my opinion changed, and now I am a big fan of the album. Still can't say it's my favorite PxDx release, but definitely top 10 oof the year worthy.
Well put. I love it as well, but it's not their very best.

Quote:
8. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

I have really gotten into this band in the past year or so after not really knowing much about them before. I am so glad I started listening to them, and in a year that they had a new album coming out! I feel any fan of the band will like this. Their black/grind style with crazy vocals is just truly like nothing else. Probably not my favorite album of theirs, but they are another band where that means nothing, since just about all their stuff is incredible!
Nailed it. You should try "Black Widow" next, if you haven't already, and then work your way backwards.

Quote:
7. Napalm Death - Utilitarian

I'm gonna be completely honest. When I first heard some songs from this album, I was not too impressed. The songs just seemed okay to me. After some time, I gave it a full listen, and my opinion was completely different. I really liked some of the different things they did on this album, while still sounding like ND. There is a reason they are grind/death metal legends; after all these years, they are still putting out high quality material. They had me worried, but they didn't let me down!
Interesting. I've felt this way all year, and to be honest, I haven't given the album much time in the listening queue because of it. Might have to rethink that.

Quote:
5. Asphyx - Deathhammer

I love death/doom, and Asphyx is by far one of the best bands that play this style, at least in my opinion. I listened to it as soon as it came out, and I was blown away by what I was hearing. Super heavy and just crushing songs. Just played the whole thing recently and it is still just as great as the first time I heard it. I love their faster songs as well as the slower, more doomy tracks. Just a sick album all around.
Nailed it again. Loved it at first listen, and I still do. I liked a couple dozen albums more, but this one is still fantastic.