Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I dreamt of the sun's demise, awoke to a bleak morning.

8. Alcest - Les Voyages de L'ame

Alcest started this year great for me because January is always a perfect time to listen to full albums in the cold winter weather. I found myself lost in Neige's ethereal voice and black metal screams mixed in with that wonderful combination of shoegaze post-metal goodness. Though this record does not deviate a lot from the previous records I think Neige has perfected his own craft with this record. I think Autre Temps may very well be Alcest best song IMO.

Stand out Tracks
Autre Temps
Lą Oł Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles
Faiseurs De Mondes
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
12/14 - The Birthday Massacre
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM

7. Lamb of God - Resolution

This album has been receiving a lot of mixed reviews from both fans and non-fans alike. Many have been saying that LoG have lost their way and all the songs sound the same with no change to their sound. After listening to this record for most of the year I feel this is a one of their better albums and way better than their previous record Wrath. I feel this is a contender for their most aggressive record and I feel that Randy really pushed his vocals to the limit and screams that he hasn't done since the days of Burn the priest. One of my favorite songs on this record is To The End which starts off strong and randy makes the chorus sound excellent with those groovy riffs. That song should be staple in their setlist instead of The Undertow or The Number Six. Another thing that makes this record unique is Randy's clean vocals in Insurrection which at first sound out of place but I eventually came to love them and hopefully in the future can utilized his cleans more effectively. The album closes with the excellent King Me which I feel they should perform live in the future. I hope Randy doesn't get sent to jail in the Czech Republic because LoG is still important and relevant to the American metal scene IMO.

Stand out Tracks
Cheated
To the End
King Me
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth

Last edited by DementedX14; 01-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
N00B

I'm not excited about LOG anymore but they are definitely release consistently quality albums. Definitely the best "popular" current metal band.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post

7. Lamb of God - Resolution

This album has been receiving a lot of mixed reviews from both fans and non-fans alike. Many have been saying that LoG have lost their way and all the songs sound the same with no change to their sound. After listening to this record for most of the year I feel this is a one of their better albums and way better than their previous record Wrath. I feel this is a contender for their most aggressive record and I feel that Randy really pushed his vocals to the limit and screams that he hasn't done since the days of Burn the priest. One of my favorite songs on this record is To The End which starts off strong and randy makes the chorus sound excellent with those groovy riffs. That song should be staple in their setlist instead of The Undertow or The Number Six. Another thing that makes this record unique is Randy's clean vocals in Insurrection which at first sound out of place but I eventually came to love them and hopefully in the future can utilized his cleans more effectively. The album closes with the excellent King Me which I feel they should perform live in the future. I hope Randy doesn't get sent to jail in the Czech Republic because LoG is still important and relevant to the American metal scene IMO.

Stand out Tracks
Cheated
To the End
King Me
Agreed wholeheatedly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post

9. Aborted - Global Flatline

After the somewhat disappointing Strychnine.213 album I wasn't expect much from Aborted's next opus but this album reminded me why I loved them in the first place. Excellent brutal death metal the way I like it. Violent screams, the perfect balance of aggression and grooves in the riffs, disgusting lyrics, horrifying artwork, deep growls, and those evil menacing soundbites. An exceptionally well done record from one of my favorite death metal bands.
Such a great death metal album. Gets better with every listen. I love the soundbite at the end. Can't remember what scripture the professor (his name escaped me ATM) is talking about, but it's eerie as hell, and a perfect ending to the album.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM

6. Anathema - Weather Systems

Before this album came out I have been losing interest in this band for some time. After 'We're Here Because We're Here' I felt the band seem to sound uninspired as none of the songs on that album didn't hold any interest for me. But once I listened to this album I felt they gain the direction that they were heading. The music is so soothing & uplifting that any person can feel relax. The female vocals really fit the mood of songs pretty well. My favorite song on this album is definitely The Beginning and the End because it reminds how strong and profound Anathema music can be.

Stand out Tracks
The Beginning And The End
Untouchable, Part 1
The Storm Before The Calm
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM

5. Stone Sour - House of Gold & Bones Part 1

This year has been full of surprises for me. After Stone Sour last record 'Audio Secrecy' I thought they would continue on a more mellow path and have soft hard rock songs with a lot of ballads. But nope this album starts off strong like any good SS album should. Gone Sovereign is such a strong opener for this song and greatly transitions well into the following Absolute Zero which has a great chrous. After that the songs sound amazing with well done production. The Travelers song reminds me of sillyworld with amazing lyrics that I can relate to along with Taciturn which is the only ballad on the album. Overall, this is the best hard rock album of the year and I hope the second record sounds better than this because it is going to be hard to top this.

Favorite Tracks
Gone Sovereign / Absolute Zero
The Travelers Pt. 1 & 2
Taciturn
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM

4. Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Katatonia are one of my top favorite 5 bands of all time so I am always excited whenever they release new material. Now after 'Night is the New Day' many of their fans didn't think DEK was a good album but I disagree. I think I prefer DEK to NitND because of how well the album flows and the cohesiveness of all the songs. They still the same sound as NitND and the production is well done. I love everything this band has done and it makes me upset that I didn't see them last year but I can look forward to May when I get a chance to see some of these songs live.

Favorite Songs
The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here
Racing Heart
Dead Letters
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM

3. Periphery II: This Time It's Personal

Whatever you think about Djent there is only one band that rises above all others in the genre and that is Periphery. Bulb Mansoor and his gang of djenters helped make one of the best records this year. I love everthing about this album and already love it more than their debut. Muramasa starts off this record strong with those hard and heavy riffs and Spencer's loud voice which sounds amazing throughout the whole album. Scarlet and Luck as a Constant sound perfect and captures everything about what makes this band sound amazing. Overall, another excellent record from this band that continues to put other bands to shame. I hope I can see them on tour soon this year.

Favorite Tracks
Scarlet
Luck as a Constant
Have a Blast
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM

2. Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Every time Deftones releases a new album it is almost guaranteed a top spot in my favorites for each year. This being no different and I assume everybody recognizes who they are since the release of the excellent Diamond Eyes. I remember being a long time before I became such a avid fan of this band. They have such a unique sound and nobody sounds like them makes their appealing all the more enduring once you really begin to listen to them. For this record they continue with their sound from DE and mixes it up a bit to make a record with a lot more variety of ambiance. There is not a lot of Chino's signature screaming which might seem disappointed but you most likely won't notice it. Swerve City opens up this album brilliantly and closes with the excellent What Happened to You?. Rosemary is the longest song on the album that has a mellow section that could have been cut a little shorter. Entombed and Tempest are the seemingly slow tracks in the album that take awhile to get used too but sound amazing. Graphic Nature and Poltergeist should be staples in their live set. All things considered, this is another seamlessly perfect album from front to back by one of the most consistent bands of all time.

Favorite Tracks
Poltergeist
Swerve City
Graphic Nature
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM

1. Sybreed - God is an Automaton

Only a few people on this board know who this band is which is a travesty but understandable. IMO this is the best industrial band of all time. They continue to put out solid releases and have yet to gain the attention that they so desperately deserve. Combining a lot electronic influences which include synth rock/pop mixed in with death/groove metal. Great production throughout by their creative genius of a guitarist Drop who knows how make a track sound ridiculously good. The choruses are remarkable and sound excellent that they will stay in your mind for days. The electronic tempos fits well with the crushing riffs along with the solid drumming throughout the record. All in all, this album was the best thing that came out this year which is no surprise to me because every time this band releases an album it takes the top spot because they continue to deliver the music that no one else can replicate.

Favorite tracks
Posthuman Manifesto
The Line of Least Resistance
A Radiant Daybreak
Into the Blackest Light
Downfall Inc.
11/28 - Slipknot/Korn
12/03 - In Flames/Opeth