Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I've started playing ME1 (remember I'm a PS3 guy and have been playing 2 and 3 for a year). I've only finished the mission to Eden Prime and first visited the Citadel but I have to keep reminding myself, "adamclark52, this game is almost six years old and was made with a budget 1/20 the size of the other two games".
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Born Again In Blasphemy

So, I'm super late but I finally played and finished ME3, and I figured I'd give my , if anybody cares. The ending did not bother me as much as I thought it would. I had some ideas of what it might be and the ending was sort of along those lines, but it really didn't make much sense at all, that's the biggest problem with it. Also it's pretty lame that all the choices you can make lead to essentially the same thing, they could've crafted some really unique endings and blew it. I did not download the Extended Cut for my first playthrough because I wanted to experience the ending in its original context to see what all the fuss was about.

As far as the game itself goes, it is a great game but there were a lot of times where it kinda felt like a chore to move along. The side missions are all completely boring, and all the Citadel stuff was extremely tedious. Also the planet scanning was completely pointless in terms of its affect on the story, I wasted many hours doing that. They should've just scrapped the scanning altogether or made it more significant in terms of the consequences of the story. Pretty much all of the main missions were very strong though give or take a couple duds.

And I'm one of those people who was pretty disappointed that they scrapped the core mechanics of ME1 and stripped most of the RPG elements out for ME2. I personally think that if they had kept the original mechanics from ME1 and improved and built on them rather than throwing them right out the door, the trilogy as a whole potentially would've been a lot stronger. ME2 and ME3 are still great games, but they could've been even better I think. And there was something about exploring planets in the original ME1 for the side missions that was pretty exciting. Even with the flawed vehicle controls and the lack of unique environments, I still wanted to go out there and explore every planet. In ME2 and ME3 that wasn't really the case with the side missions. Well, ME2 did a better job than ME3 with that.

So overall, this is one of my favorite game series of all-time, but I still think despite its lack of polish compared to the other two that ME1 was the best in the series. The dialogue in that first one was amazing. And I played through that one 5 times. I've yet to play through 2 or 3 (obviously) a second time, but I plan to eventually.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM

The more I think about the ending, the more I realize that yes it was terrible but there was really no way to end the series without making everybody happy.

And while people keep going on and one about how the three endings were "exactly the same", think about how hard it will be to make a Mass Effect 4 that takes place after this? You've either got the Reapers destroyed and the galaxy rebuilding, the Reapers still around and helping to rebuild or the Reapers still around, helping to rebuild and everyone is a synthetic. You'd basically have to make three seperate games with the three outcomes.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
The more I think about the ending, the more I realize that yes it was terrible but there was really no way to end the series without making everybody happy.

And while people keep going on and one about how the three endings were "exactly the same", think about how hard it will be to make a Mass Effect 4 that takes place after this? You've either got the Reapers destroyed and the galaxy rebuilding, the Reapers still around and helping to rebuild or the Reapers still around, helping to rebuild and everyone is a synthetic. You'd basically have to make three seperate games with the three outcomes.
The way it ended was not really a problem for me. Their execution of it is what bothered me. It was nonsensical to say the least. The fact that they had to release a follow-up to the ending says enough.

I've also heard that the pay DLC answers a lot of questions when it comes to the story, and if that's the case then it should've been included in the retail game. DLC should enhance or add on to a story, not fill holes.

Last edited by OraclesofAgony; 01-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraclesofAgony View Post
The way it ended was not really a problem for me. Their execution of it is what bothered me. It was nonsensical to say the least. The fact that they had to release a follow-up to the ending says enough.

I've also heard that the pay DLC answers a lot of questions when it comes to the story, and if that's the case then it should've been included in the retail game. DLC should enhance or add on to a story, not fill holes.
I really recommend the From Ashes and Leviathan DLCs. Is it lame to pay more money for content, yes. But I think they're worth it.

From Ashes explains the Proetheans story a lot more and gives you the Proethean party member Javik. The actual DLC is criminally short, only an hour or two. But Javik goes on to explain Proethean culture a lot more during the game and it changes the outlook of the Proetheans, a lot. The Leviathan pack is pretty dark and creepy, and it gets into a lot more detail of the Reapers origins. But it's payout is a bit lame.

The Omega DLC is just okay. I'd only recommend it if you just want more game to play, it doesn't really expand the story in any way or give you anything special in terms of items.

I've heard there's still going to be one more DLC. That's the extent of the rumors I've heard for that. But someone did mention it involving helping Joker find out the fate of his family, that wouldn't be too bad. And it would probably have a nice, depressing finale.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 01-20-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I really recommend the From Ashes and Leviathan DLCs. Is it lame to pay more money for content, yes. But I think they're worth it.

From Ashes explains the Proetheans story a lot more and gives you the Proethean party member Javik. The actual DLC is criminally short, only an hour or two. But Javik goes on to explain Proethean culture a lot more during the game and it changes the outlook of the Proetheans, a lot. The Leviathan pack is pretty dark and creepy, and it gets into a lot more detail of the Reapers origins. But it's payout is a bit lame.

The Omega DLC is just okay. I'd only recommend it if you just want more game to play, it doesn't really expand the story in any way or give you anything special in terms of items.

I've heard there's still going to be one more DLC. That's the extent of the rumors I've heard for that. But someone did mention it involving helping Joker find out the fate of his family, that wouldn't be too bad. And it would probably have a nice, depressing finale.
I plan on buying those DLCs. From Ashes and Leviathan at least. I never got any Mass Effect 2 DLC so I might also revisit that and play the DLCs for that one.

I started a second playthrough of ME3 on Insanity and started getting my ass handed to me already. I don't know if I'll even be able to beat it on Insanity, that final battle sequence is going to be a pain in the ass, I was dying on Normal.

ME1 wasn't very tough on Insanity, but ME2 and ME3 are no joke.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to play Mass Effect 3. After loving the first two and buying novels and shit, I just can't stand the bits and pieces I've seen of it.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraclesofAgony View Post
I plan on buying those DLCs. From Ashes and Leviathan at least. I never got any Mass Effect 2 DLC so I might also revisit that and play the DLCs for that one.

I started a second playthrough of ME3 on Insanity and started getting my ass handed to me already. I don't know if I'll even be able to beat it on Insanity, that final battle sequence is going to be a pain in the ass, I was dying on Normal.

ME1 wasn't very tough on Insanity, but ME2 and ME3 are no joke.
I don't know what I did differently on my second playthroughs of ME2 and ME3 but I found them way easier. That said, I really just stuck to playing on Normal. On my first playthrough of ME3 I was on Normal most of the game until the final battle on Earth, where I think I may have dumbed it down to Narrative. But on my second playthrough I was able to keep it on Normal the whole time, even during the last siege on Earth.

Back to DLC, the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC from ME2 was pretty awesome.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to play Mass Effect 3. After loving the first two and buying novels and shit, I just can't stand the bits and pieces I've seen of it.
It's not THAT bad.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend