Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
The funny thing is, no one here really cares about them anymore. I'm still looking forward to Earl's upcoming album and i'll give Tyler's new one a listen whenever it comes out but I kinda lost interest in this group since they failed to put out anything good in the past 2 years. I still think Earl, Bastard, and a few songs on Goblin are pretty good but the OF tape Vol 2 was bad and I was never interested in any of the other members.
Vol 2 isn't great, i'll give ya that, but goddamn that song "Oldie" is fucking epic. I just love that beat, and every member except for jasper drop a pretty tight verse, especially Earl.

But to continue on the with the tradition of this thread, I will post the number 12th soon enough. The next post will feature sludgy doom filled goodness

And some more rap. Hey I can't help it. I love me both some hip hop and Metal equally. I practically grew up on both genres so please don't mind me.

anyways, now its time to kick your asses with some metal
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM

12: Church of Misery

Band: Church of Misery
Genre: Doom Metal
Venue: The Satellite
Date: June 5th 2012

For those unfamiliar with the band; Church of Misery is a heavy sludgy doom Metal band hailing from Tokyo Japan. The bands main lyrical theme are about real life serial killers, murderers, and sick perverted crazy fucks that use to actually exist in this world once before they became long gone. Every single song is pretty much about a real life existing killer from a past time and although it can get some what repetitive for some, it just doesn't take away from the awesome heavy music that these guys create. Church of Misery are not only a great and heavy band, but they also are heavier to watch in a live setting. No joke, these guys are the real fucking deal, heavier than a ton of bricks. This year marked Church of Miserys first ever U.S tour and there was just no way I was going to miss the opportunity to see these crazy mother fuckers. I was lucky enough to see Church of Misery this year on June 5th at the Satallite Bar over in Down town los angeles. Hail Hornet was the opening act and it was my first time witnessing the craziness that is DAVE DIXIE COLLINS.

Here is a sloppy rant from yours truly on how this awesome show went down

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20601

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
N00B

That Church of Misery show was great. Great energy in the crowd and on stage. The Gates of Slumber really impressed me as well and Dixie Dave is one crazy mofo.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

11. JERU THE DAMAJA

Rapper: Jeru the Damaja
Genre - Hip Hop
Venue: The Tobacco Lounge
Date: April 11th, 2012

legendary old school MC of the golden age era of hip hop who is well affiliated with the Gang starr family. Legendary Producer DJ premier from ganstarr produced his first two classic albums. Jerus " the sun rises from the east" is one of the greatest albums ever and it was incredible to hear a good portion of that LP performed right in front of my eyes. Jeru never comes through here in Socal so this was probably his first time playing here in probably over a decade. I know cause i have always kept my eyes out on when ever he comes through, the internet is so ahead of its time that you can find when ever any obscure or or school mc is going to make a rare yet awesome appearance in your town or location. bahahahhahah here is a video from the show. You can cleary see me. I'm the skinny persian guy going all super crazy in the front and making all kinds hand gestures and weird funny movements while intensely into the music while screaming out the lyrics. you can't miss me. anyways heres a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMdab5uav5E

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM

10: Death Angel performing "The Ultra Violence" in its entirety

Band: Death Angel
Genre: Thrash Metal
Venue: The Whisky a Go Go
Date: October 19th, 2012

Death Angel performing The Ultra Violence in its entirety. Holy shit this show was epic. This was my third time seeing Death ANGEL and this was hands down the best out of all three times. The band sounded incredible and hearing the full "ultra violence" song in its ten minutes was something i will never forget. Also there was a pretty crazy fight going on right next to me so it just added another level of intensity to it. The only downfall was i was far too and full from overeating to much food to headband or really do much(other than drive for a good hour to hollywood and another good hour back home ahahha), i just stood there in awe as the band kicked my ass with their epic set of thrash consisting of the unholy ultra violence. Not being on this site as much as well as the addition of it going out on us a couple of times had also prevented me from leaving a silly review on how the show went down as well as trying to PM onioner or treghet for a meet up(since they were at the show as well) Oh well....next time my amigos. I did get me an ultra violence tour shirt for memories..

On a side note: I left immediately after the band finished the ultra violence set, I had to rush back as i had work in less than 6 hours as well as a good one hour trek back to my pad. Couldn't really stick around for the encore, but goddamn the Ultra violence was sweet but short like a nice delicious Pecan pie from Marie Calanders. Totally worth it but leaves you wanting more...

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 AM

9. Slayer

Band: Slayer
Opening Bands: A bunch of shitty bands that I do not give a fuck about(MINUS high on fire, anthrax, and motor head)
Genre: Thrash Metal
Venue: The San Manuel Amphitheater
Date: June 30th, 2012

This was my sixth time seeing my favorite band of all time. Not one of the best times I've had seeing the Slayer. ahahhahah for those that are interested just go look up the mayhem fest june 30th 2012 setlist report and you'll find my review of this show to get a much better idea of how the show went down. That's really all I'm going to say. Personally I did not have a very enjoyable time at all because of some personal dilemma that got in the way before I left to the show, but i'll be damned if I didn't say Slayer performance was one of the best that i had seen in my six times seeing them. I hope I don't get shit for this but I'm honestly not tripping over jeff not being with the band any time soon. Last time I saw slayer with Jeff they were fucking terrible and it was easily one of the worst shows ever. With Gary Holt on the band wagon the bands sounds just seems way more fast paced, so much more tighter, and way more intense. Maybe its just me but i also noticed kerry king has stepped up his A-game, maybe its to keep up with Gary Holt? Either way the bands performance was phenomenal and my horrible pissed off mood at the show did not tarnish one bit of the bands incredible 50 minute performance. This was my sixth time seeing slayer, but this was my 2nd time seeing Slayer with Gary Holt filling in and goddamn I must say he is the best replacement they could ever ask for...

Back to the gary holt - jeff thing i was saying earlier. I remember in mayhem 2009 slayer opened up with Disciple and the sound was pretty yucky, and the song just came out really bad. For mayhem fest this year Slayer opened up with Disciple once again, but this time the song actually sounded fucking incredible. I donno if it was the combo of Kerry King and Gary Holt just trying to keep up with each other and outshine one another, or if it was tom Arayas powerful voice but goddamn this was an incredible performance and they nailed it at replicating the song from album to live setting. High light of the show was when they played "Altar of Sacrifice". My God, during the songs performance i just lost my mind head banging and belching out the lyrics like a mad man pumping my fist like a fucking engine...and then they go right into JESUS SAVES...EPIC WIN...best part of the night for me....

It's just too bad I had one of the worst times ever at this show.....and one of the worst days of my life.

but it still won't change the fact that slayer is my favorite band of all time, and they are the greatest fucking band in the world, and personally if I had a much better time at this show this would have easily went in the top five.

YEAH BITCH EIGHT MORE SHOWS TO GO.

WE GOT SOME MORE HIP HOP

SOME SLUDGE

SOME STONER METAL

Oh and we got a little bit of Death Metal here and there

Throw in some DOOM METAL IN THE MIX

oh oh oh and can't forget those OLD SCHOOL MOTHER FUCKERS HAILING FROM THE NWOBHM!!! NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HEAVY METAL FOR THE WIN, BITCHES

Time to get ready for work. I loving working holidays because it's usually dead and smooth sailing till I'm off. PEACE AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS FOLKS. - sep69

10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Great read so far, definately respect how well versed you are in your musical tastes. I agree w/ what you said about the Slayer show, in that AOS -> JS was incredible. And yes, Gary has helped Slayer's sound a bit. When did you see them that they were so sloppy? I saw them in 2010 in Glens Falls, and thought they sounded great.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
And yes, Gary has helped Slayer's sound a bit. When did you see them that they were so sloppy
It was October 22nd, 2010 at the gibson amphitheater in Hollywood. Aahahhaha the only reason i even remember the specific date was because it was on the same day that i quit cold turkey with smoking cigarettes(and i'm proud to say after a good two years I have stayed off that nasty nicotine, especially coming from a hardcore chain smoking chimney of almost a seven years). Not only was it the same day I quit smoking cigarettes, but this was also the last show jeff Hanneman played with Slayer.

Yup....

hard to believe but this was the very last REAL slayer show that Jeff played in. This was the very last date of the Yagermiester tour with Megadeth, and our show happened to be the last show of the tour... and about a couple weeks later was when news started spreading around that Jeff got fucked up with a spider bite.

So technically I saw Jeff Hannemans last show with slayer. Well...that is until he gets back with the band. Sadly it has been over two years now since jeff has last played with Slayer, and to be honest with you I really doubt he is going to come back anytime. Have you read any of the latest interviews with Kerry lately on Jeff? Sadly it doesn't sound like King is too happy with having him play with the band any time soon, also in all his interviews he's just praising and sucking gary holts dick like he's a guitar god(theres even a little heated interview where kerry king goes on about how jeff hasn't brought anything to the table for the last couple of years, and that Kerry has been the one recording all the guitar/bass parts for the last four/five slayer albums...). Everytime jeff is mentioned all i really hear is that his guitar playing is still really horrible and that he still needs a shitload of rehab and rehabilitation to even think about picking up a guitar pick to play in a live stage...not only that but King seems somewhat irritated when hearing his name. I'll find that blabbermouth interview and PM it to you if you wanna read it. It's pretty intertaining read....king kinda comes off as bit pissed and bitter with jeff....The most shocking part of the interview was when Kerry revealed that he was the only playing and recording all of toms bass and jeff guitar parts in the last four-five slayer records...so realistically we are just hearing Kerry King doing bass and both lead guitars on god hates us all, christ illusion, diablous en music, world painted blood, and Divine intervention... *gulp*

It's too bad because realistically jeff is the one that has made all the all time classic slayer tunes(Postmortem, angel of death, reign in blood, war ensemble, chemical warfare act)...

It's too bad Jeffs playing was so sloppy because I basically saw his last performance with Slayer on their very last date of the yagermiester tour right before he got bit by that spider...

Oh and thanks for the kind words hell awaits. Much appreciated man
10/19 - D.R.I
11/10 - Judas Priest
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 12-24-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Good shit my nig. Slayer fucking destroyed at Mayhem. Me and Scott fucked shit up, had we known you were ther we wouldve sneaked ya in the pit to join us . Also maybe it's just me but I dont really notice sound differences for Slayer. Every time I've seen them they sounded fine. Then again during Slayer my priority is just to go apeshit crazy! Lastly I know what death metal show will be in this list, cuz I was there haha
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Congrats on your quitting of the cigs. One of these days I will quit using the smokeless.

It's very cool that you were able to see Jeff's last show before his accident, and possible his last EVER. I always take Kerry's comments with a grain of salt, but I didn't realize he'd been knocking Jeff like that. It's a real shame to do that to someone who you've been like a brother 2 for nearly 30 years. Tom seems to think Jeff will eventually return as I believe he's the one who always says "Jeff will be back when he's ready". Wow, can't believe Kerry said all that crap. Thanks for looking up that link, I look forward to reading it.

I do agree, however, w/ what you said about Kerry. He is really making it seem that Jeff won't be back. Ugh, I shudder for future Slayer albums (probably only 1 more) should Jeff not return. Kerry has written some decent songs, but nearly all of Slayer's classics, as well as the best songs from the 2000's have been written by Jeff + Tom.

EDIT : Kerry is full of shit in at least 1 aspect. He hasn't played all the leads in ANY record. It's fairly obvious the differences in the soloing styles of both. It's very clear when Jeff is playing, very clear when kerry is playing.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 12-26-2012 at 06:29 AM.