Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

adamclark52's Favorite Albums

Everyone else is posting their lists of Top-20 for the year. I honestly don't know if I've even heard twenty albums this year. So instead I'll go the old route of just posting my 20 favorite albums. I'd post one a day or something but I doubt anyone really will be waiting with baited breath, so I'll kill it pretty quickly before Christmas.

20. Triptykon – Eparistera Daimones (2010)

I have great memories of this album since it was the last thing I listened to by myself with a very strong drink in my basement before my first-born son came home. As I listened to the end of the Prolonging I realized that this was it, everything’s changed.
Favorite Song: My Pain

19. Genghis Tron – Cloak of Love (2005)

To cram so much into twelve minutes and make it work; WOW. I loved this album because it was fun listening to it wondering what the hell they were going to do next. And I still am entertained by it.
Favorite Song: Laser Bitch

18. Sigur Ros - Takk… (2005)

When I started my first level of Trade School in fall of 2005 I was worried sick that if I didn’t make it through that was it. I’d lose my house, my job, everything. In the end it was really easy. But this album came out around that time and helped ease my stress that fall.
Favorite Song: Glósóli

17. Beck - Mellow Gold (1994)

Probably the album on this list that I’ve had for the longest. Who wasn’t hooked by Loser back in 1994? Unlike a lot of people I actually listened to the rest of the album and found a lot more stuff on it that I loved. Back then, as a teenager, I’d never heard someone combine pretty much every style on one album. Beck’s early stuff is wicked, there’s a lot of cool stuff you should check out. I still love it after almost twenty years.
Favorite Song: Sweet Sunshine (I can't find a video of it)

16. Enslaved – Ruun (2006)

I got this album for Christmas 2006. I have great memories of it because I was working a terrible job and in my downtime I’d play Final Fantasy XII and listen to it. And watching them play Essence live a few weeks after I got it was the moment I realized that I had to go to more concerts.
Favorite Song: Tides Of Chaos

15. Nadja – Touched (2007 re-recording)

This was an album that I could just get on my iPod, hop on the train and get completely lost in for the entire forty-five minute ride. Everything stops when I listen to it.
Favorite Song: Flowers Made of Flesh (can't find a video)

14. Tool – Lateralus (2001)

I’ve never been a huge Tool fan, in fact a lot of times I don’t like them because so many people jump on their bandwagon when they come back every couple of years. But this album floored me from the beginning. I was unemployed from February to August of 2001 and this album came out right when I was hitting a breaking point (in May). Listening to this album made me happy in a very bad time.
Favorite Song: Ticks & Leeches

13. Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (1995)

I remember first hearing this album in 1998 and wondering what the hell I was listening to. “I thought this was the singer from Faith No More’s other band”, was all I kept thinking. “This is like some sort of soundtrack”. But on my second listen I got it.
Favorite Song: Desert Search for Techno Allah

12. Kyuss - …And The Circus Leaves Town (1995)

I just really enjoy this album. I got it for Christmas from my mom in 1997. I don’t know how she found it, or what made her get it over any of the easier to find albums I had on my Christmas list that year, but I’m glad she did. I always loved that the vocals were muddy and further back in the mix.
Favorite Song: Phototropic

11. Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of the Nephren-Ka (1998)

The moment I started loving this album was on a train ride home in early 2007. I feel asleep earlier on in the album and woke up during the acoustic part of Beneath Eternal Oceans of Sand. I was in that place between awake and asleep and the song sounded so wicked. When it was over I woke up and said to myself, “this album rules”. I got it around the same time as Enslaved ‘Ruun’, so it has those memories to go with it as well.
Favorite Song: Barra Edinazzu

Other ten tomorrow or something.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-16-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

17. Beck - Mellow Gold

Probably the album on this list that I’ve had for the longest. Who wasn’t hooked by Loser back in 1994? Unlike a lot of people I actually listened to the rest of the album and found a lot more stuff on it that I loved. Back then, as a teenager, I’d never heard someone combine pretty much every style on one album. Beck’s early stuff is wicked, there’s a lot of cool stuff you should check out. I still love it after almost twenty years.
Favorite Song: Sweet Sunshine (I can't find a video of it)
Great Minds think alike. Mellow Gold is also one of my favorite albums. Beck was truly a gifted artist and ahead of his time. I'm with you on that one; I am also one of those people that love this record and listen to it for more than just "Loser" which was a great single back in the day. My favorite songs on the album are "(Snoozer)Pay No Mind" and "Whiskyclone hotel city 1997". Ahhh I have some pretty fond memories during my hey days walking around a big dark forest at three in the morning while under the influence of some powerful psychedelics while playing the tunes of "Snoozer(pay no mind) on my headphones while zoning out to the sky. Becks music was very powerful back then(and pretty trippy)..

Thanks for the list man, looking forward to reading the rest my friend

11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Awesome picks. I'm loving the personalized comments about them too. Can't wait for the rest of it.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM

10. Ocean Machine – Biomech (1997)

After all these years and so many albums this is still my favorite of anything Devin Townsend’s done. It reminds me of a great time in my life (second year of college, 1999) and I’ll carry those memories all my life.
Favorite Song: the Death of Music

9. Suffocation – Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)

I’m relatively new to Suffocation (I never heard this album until early 2009) but this is what I want when I want to listen to death metal. Sheer brutality from the get go, songs that aren’t overly long or too complex and dirty, bass heavy production.
Favorite Song: Liege Of Inveracity (the album version of this song has been my ringtone for close to two years)

8. Thee Silver Mountain Reveries – Pretty Little Lightning Paw (2004)

This is a strange album that has terrible production, but that adds to the appeal. I don’t really have much more to say about why I love it, I just do. I think I got it around the same time as Sigur Ros' 'Takk...', so it helped me during that difficult time too.
Favorite Song: Pretty Little Lightning Paw

7. Type O Negative - October Rust (1996)

The build to this albums release was intense and frustrating. I remember it got delayed a few times and when it did come out it was right before summer was over. So I’d spent the whole summer counting down the days for this album inadvertently counting down to when I had to go back to school. At first I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t as gritty as Bloody Kisses but over the years I keep coming back to it.
Favorite Song: Haunted

6. Blut Aus Nord – the Work Which Transforms God (2003)

I’m newer to this album and band but from the second I heard it I knew I was listening to what it was to record absolute terror. I can’t picture anything when I listen to this album other than BDSM, dark rooms, torture, agony, pain and disease. It scares the hell out of me, and I love it.
Favorite song: Our Blessed Frozen Cells

5. Today is the Day - Sadness Will Prevail (2002)

This album is best summed up by the girl on the front cover. It’s a bit long in the tooth and drags a bit during the second disk. But it has the perfect mix of aggressive songs and strange experimental stuff. The ONLY problem I really have with this album is the production is too trebly.
Favorite Song: Myriad

4. Faith No More - Angel Dust (1992)

I didn’t like this album as much when I first heard it. It was when I saw the MTV performance of Caffeine on the Who Cared A Lot? video compilation that I realize how awesome that song was, how awesome the band was and how I should go back and revisit it.
Favorite Song: Caffeine

3. Melvins – the Maggot (1999)

There’s a lot of really good Melvins music out there but this was them at their absolute heaviest. And it (along with the Bootlicker and the Crybaby) were probably the last great Melvins albums.
Favorite Song: AMAZON

2. Pig Destroyer - Natasha (2004/2008)

I know this is the worst example of PxDx’s “usual” music, but when I first heard the section from about twenty minutes in until the end I knew I was hearing some of the most beautiful music I'd heard in my life. After their first two albums I knew PxDx were capable of writing some really good, longer songs but I had no idea they could come out with something like this.

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O. (2002)

This album is an album I will never get tired of, ever. GY!BE have been my favorite band for over ten years (that was cemented by the great album they released in 2012) and choosing a favorite album by them is hard since they don't release bad music. It comes down to the closing moments of Motherfucker=Redeemer (Part Two). That’s a climax. And that's how you leave people wanting more for over ten years.
Favorite Song: Motherfucker=Redeemer (Part Two)
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
Great Minds think alike. Mellow Gold is also one of my favorite albums. Beck was truly a gifted artist and ahead of his time. I'm with you on that one; I am also one of those people that love this record and listen to it for more than just "Loser" which was a great single back in the day. My favorite songs on the album are "(Snoozer)Pay No Mind" and "Whiskyclone hotel city 1997". Ahhh I have some pretty fond memories during my hey days walking around a big dark forest at three in the morning while under the influence of some powerful psychedelics while playing the tunes of "Snoozer(pay no mind) on my headphones while zoning out to the sky. Becks music was very powerful back then(and pretty trippy)..

Thanks for the list man, looking forward to reading the rest my friend

Beck released some great music up until Odelay. The Loser single is really good too. Try find the one with Corvette Bummer, Alcohol, Soul Suckin' Jerk (Reject) and Fume. There's another version that cuts out a few songs and adds a song called MTV Makes Me Wanna Smoke Crack, but aside from the title it's really not a very good song.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM
N00B

Nice list man!

Effigy of the Forgotten would definitely be in my top 10 as well.

I enjoy a number of other albums on here - October Rust, The Work Which Transforms God, RUUN, and Amongst the Catacombs of the Nephren-Ka.

I like that you posted a short comment about the time of your life or emotions each particular album captures for you. I think it is always interesting to hear about music which has helped people through hard times or was the soundtrack to good times.
04/24 - Nile
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks, I wanted to express why they are my favorite albums, not necessarily each bands best. People will argue over Effigy of the Forgotten vs. Pierced from Within or In Their Darkened Shrines vs. Those Whom the Gods Detest for years. But those arguments are for another thread. In Their Darkened Shrines probably is a better album from a song-writing and performance standpoint, but that doesn't make it my favorite.
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Thanks, I wanted to express why they are my favorite albums, not necessarily each bands best. People will argue over Effigy of the Forgotten vs. Pierced from Within or In Their Darkened Shrines vs. Those Whom the Gods Detest for years. But those arguments are for another thread. In Their Darkened Shrines probably is a better album from a song-writing and performance standpoint, but that doesn't make it my favorite.
Pierced is great, but Effigy is legendary.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM

As with all lists, after you've done them you think, "shit I should've added that" or "I completely forgot that one". My top twenty still stands but I've decided to start posting some "honorable mentions". No order really, just as they cross my mind or something inspires me to write about them.

Honorable Mention #1.
Danzig - 4p (1994)

No one will argue that the first four Danzig albums are all classics. To me though after twenty plus years the first two are really showing their age. And even Danzigs’s 5 and 6:66 sound dated now. But Danzig 4p still sounds fresh to me almost twenty years later. I find it to be such a dark, dark album. The cover, the artwork (all black, white lyrics) and one grainy picture of the band really helps add to the darkness. And while I find Danzig III has aged really well too I just think the songs are way better on 4p. Going Down To Die, Until You Call on the Dark, Dominion, Sadistikal, Stalker Song and Let It Be Captured are all sound so dark to me. And Brand New God/Little Whip, Cantspeak and Bringer of Death are just awesome songs. My favorite evil memory of this album happened in 1998, when I was listening to a tape recorded copy of Until You Call On the Dark. It was really late at night and I was trying to get to sleep, during a thunderstorm. A huge thundercrack hit and the tapedeck started fucking up and the tape got all wound up around itself; then started playing backwards during the last part of the song where Danzig is singing, “oh it’s so long”. Swear to god backwards he’s repeating “I love Satan” over and over again. I rewound the tape and tried playing it again but the tape had corrected itself, or Satan had released his grasp on my tapedeck. That...was awesome.
Favorite Song: Cantspeak
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Honorable Mention #2
the Angelic Process – Weighing Souls with Sand (2007)

This album somehow got lost in the shuffle but it probably should have been in my top twenty. I don't know what happen but I think when I was going through my list of albums it was sandwiched between two bands that I have a couple albums by that I knew weren't going to be in my top twenty and I highlighted them all an deleted them, inadvertently deleting this one. So I'll call this the official #21 (at least). There’s not much I can say about this band or album. They weren’t around for very long and only released a few very hard to find albums (I’ve never even heard any of the other ones). And they had a very sad ending when the guitarist, vocalist, main person suffered a hand injury that left him unable to play guitar and he ended up taking his own life a year later (other factors probably played into that but there’s really not much information on them). Regardless, this was my Album of the Year in 2007. The music is very much in the drone/wall-of-noise genre. Just a huge guitar sound with layers upon layers of distortion. Added to that are some beautiful whispered vocals and some really great keyboards. The only place the album comes up short is the drums, which are programmed and really basic. But I guess that’s best for music of this genre. The first four songs hit especially hard. Each are just so haunting, beautiful and captivating. I remember it was summer when I got that album and it was before I had children. I don't know where my wife was but I just listened to those songs louder than I have probably ever listened to anything else in my life and sat in a chair. The album slows down after that and loses a bit of interest. But when this album is awesome (which is for about seventy five percent) it’s fucking AWESOME. If you ever listen to it, listen to it as loud as you speakers will allow.
Favorite song: The Resonance Of Goodbye
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.