Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Danzig Album?
Danzig 4 21.05%
Lucifuge 7 36.84%
How The Gods Kill 4 21.05%
4 1 5.26%
Blackacidevil 0 0%
Satan's Child 2 10.53%
I Luciferi 1 5.26%
Circle Of Snakes 0 0%
Deth Red Sabaoth 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINEKILLS View Post
On a related note, I saw Danzig right before Blackacidevil was released. He was main support for Ozzy, I think it was 96. Half of the crowd had bought the Blackacidevil tour shirt, thinking Blackacidevil would have the dark, bluesy hard rock sound the previous albums instead of being a NIN wannabe disaster. He played 3 songs from that album during his set. Talk about some disgruntled folks. The only thing worse was when the album was released. I think Danzig lost half of his fan base he had built up from the Mother single when he released that album. It had a few cool tunes on it, Ashes and the Hand of Doom cover featuring Jerry Cantrell and Come To Silver. The rest of it was not very good.
I saw that tour in 1996 to. That was the very first Ozzfest actually. At first it was just Ozzy playing arneas with a couple good support bands before it grew into what it became in the early 2000s. At the show I went to my brother and I were among the many pissed at the way the new stuff sounded. I remember Danzig opening the set with Mother, Snakes Of Christ and Until You Call On The Dark. He got the crowd going so good with the first few songs, but then as he's introducing the next song off his new album we hear some NIN style beat coming from the speakers. After he finished that song, it was truely one of the most "what the fuck" moments i've ever seen from an audience at a live show. He played one or two others from the album and nobody knew what to make of it. They were really trying to sell the new album to, with little flyers being placed on everyone's seat before they let the crowd in. No amount a marketing was gonna save what was one of the biggest career suicide moves of all time. I don't know what he was thinking with Blackacidevil but it was one of the worst musical career changes i've ever heard.

You're right he did lose half his fanbase with that album. In fact I was so disappointed with it that I didn't try anything new from him again until his last album came out. With that album and Circle Of Snakes, Danzig has finally got back on track. Satan's Child and I Luciferi aren't that good either, so at least I didn't miss much there.

As for the poll, Lucifuge is my favorite album. Long Way Back From Hell, Snakes Of Christ, Killer Wolf, Tired Of Being Alive, Her Black Wings, Devil's Plaything and Blood And Tears are all top notch, unbeatable songs.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 PM
N00B

Lucifuge is, by far, my favorite Danzig album. It was also the first one I got, and I have a lot of great memories from that time, so nostalgia is probably a factor in this. The punch of the first three songs is just fucking awesome. I remember seeing Danzig on the 20th Anniversary Tour, and was ecstatic to hear Killer Wolf as the encore, as well as Devil's Plaything in the main set.

III and IV are tied for second. I love the mood on those albums, and the songs are obviously great. I do wish Glenn would put more songs from IV in his sets. While Bringer of Death is a good song, it's one of my least favorites from the album.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I remember buying Blackacidevil the day it came out. Wow. In hindsight, released under any name other than 'Danzig' it wouldn't have been that bad. I like pretty much all of the songs off that album, but the production is terrible too.

I prefer Blackacidevil to Satan's Child and I Luciferi. Satan's Child had five or six songs I liked but that was it. I Luciferi maybe had three. By the time Circle of Snakes came out I had lost interest in Danzig, but I do have it on my computer and what I've listened to is pretty good.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
Lucifuge is, by far, my favorite Danzig album. It was also the first one I got, and I have a lot of great memories from that time, so nostalgia is probably a factor in this. The punch of the first three songs is just fucking awesome.
You mean the first four songs, Tired Of Being Alive is fuckin awesome. I lost my voice singing along to that one when I saw him two years ago.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Cowboy From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
You mean the first 11 songs.
Fixed

Lucifuge is such a solid album!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
You mean the first four songs, Tired Of Being Alive is fuckin awesome. I lost my voice singing along to that one when I saw him two years ago.
Of course it is! I meant the "medley" of the first three songs. And that song was incredible when I saw it live.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Earth AD
CHEATER
10/31-King Diamond
Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by elturtleboy View Post
CHEATER