Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Ghoul

Bill: Ghoul, Occultist, Ramming Speed, Razormaze
Venue: Great Scott
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First honorable mention goes to the Ghoul show at Great Scott. Ghoul may not be my favorite band, but they play really fun thrash/death with horror themes.

The first band up was a local thrash band Razormaze. They are pretty decent, nothing too special but always okay to see as an opener for these types of shows.

Up next was Ramming Speed. This is my third time mentioning them in this thread, so I must like seeing them . Fun as always, the crowd had a decent response but nothing too crazy yet.

Occultist came on next, and they were a crusty death/thrash band. They were actually pretty good; I hadn't heard of them before they were announced to be on this show but I enjoyed their set.

Ghoul was the headliner, and it was obvious that just about everyone was there to see them. They had all sorts of crazy props on stage, suck as a Voodoo Doctor with a blood-squirting skull, the gut bucket, and a baby doll and chicken doll they cut the heads off of, spewing fake blood everywhere. They also had a fake cop come on stage telling everyone to stop moshing because of the ban in Boston . No Killbot though, the venue and stage are too small for it to even fit in there I think. Either way, super fun show, and the crowd went nuts for Ghoul.
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

My only complaint about Napalm Death was that the sound at the venue blew ass...and they played too short...and the triggers kept double hitting.

I wish I could have seen the Morbid Angel tour. I caught them at MDF, so I am quite sure it was better than the date they did in Seattle, but Dark Funeral...maaaan.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Cool reviews man. While I was only at one of the listed shows (Agalloch @ Middle East) I did happen to catch lot of those bands live this year.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Summer Slaughter

Bill: Cannibal Corpse, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Periphery, Goatwhore, Exhumed, the Contortionist, Cerebral Bore
Venue: The Palladium
City: Worcester, MA
Date: friday, August 10, 2012

Okay, just gonna do a super quick review of this, since it's an all day event.

The first band I saw was Exhumed. They were fucking awesome, my first time seeing them and they did not disappoint. This show got me even more into them, so I am glad I showed up just in time to catch them.

Next band was Goatwhore, and they bring it live. They sounded great, and got decent pits going throughout their set. I like them better live than I do on record.

After Goatwhore, I took a break, since I wasn't interested in the next few bands. I hung out upstairs for a bit, where there was a second stage with local bands playing. A few were not bad, but none blew me away. I watched a little of JFAC and Periphery, and they are just not my thing, but both seemed to be getting great responses from the crowd. I skipped VoM since I saw them with In Flames and wasn't a fan at all.

I did want to see The Faceless, since I had never seen them and have heard great things. Thye actually really surprised me. I think their albums are decent enough, but they sounded really good live. Not sure that I will become a big fan, but I definitely like them more than I did before their set.

BTBAM was next, and I wasn't sure what to expect. They are considered an amazing band by many, but I am not really into the super proggy stuff. But, when they started off, I was impressed. They sounded really good, they had a cool wall of lights on stage, and the songs were not bad at all. By the end of the set though, I was ready for them to be done. If they played for a half hour, I could have stayed interested the whole time. But, if you're a BTBAM fan, you want them playing much longer.

Cannibal Corpse closed the show, and they were the main reason I went to this. I had never seen these legends, and wanted to go all out for their set. As soon as they hit the stage, the pit was crazy. I spent a good amount of time in it, reopening my wounds from Mayhem the week before. So worth it though. CC delivered live, Corpsegrinder was windmilling and saying ridiculous things, and that's really all I could have asked for.
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Enabler

Bill: Enabler, Livver, Los Bungalitos, Thronehunter
Venue: O'Briens Pub
City: Allston, MA
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2012

I really wanted to see Phobia in Providence this night, but by the time I was ready to go it was too late to make it down there. So, I went to this show in Boston, and I am so glad I made it to this one instead of staying home. All local bands except Enabler. this venue is super tiny, max capacity is at most 100 or so.

First band was Thronehunter. They are a hardcore band who I hadn't really listened to before the show, but they were not band. They put on a pretty decent performance.

Next was Los Bungalitos. They are a punk/thrash band that have kind of a skate punk feel. They were a lot of fun, and I actually enjoyed their set a lot. I definitely want to see them again sometime soon.

Livver came next, and they were a metal/hardcore band that was pretty good. Nothing incredible, but not bad at all.

Enabler was the touring band here, and the one I was most excited to see. They play crusty hardcore/metal that is just so fun. They were on the Southern Lord tour with Black Breath (which I am still mad I missed ), but seeing them here was great, I enjoyed them even more then I expected to. They won me over so much I bought a shirt after their set. Great last-minute show.
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer

Last edited by energymetal14; 12-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
My only complaint about Napalm Death was that the sound at the venue blew ass...and they played too short...and the triggers kept double hitting.

I wish I could have seen the Morbid Angel tour. I caught them at MDF, so I am quite sure it was better than the date they did in Seattle, but Dark Funeral...maaaan.
Yeah the set was really short. The sound at my show may or may not have been bad, but for some reason I always think bands sound good when everyone else doesn't haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
Cool reviews man. While I was only at one of the listed shows (Agalloch @ Middle East) I did happen to catch lot of those bands live this year.

Thanks man!
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM

All photos from Return to the Pit:http://www.returntothepit.com/main.php

From the Ramming Speed/Speedwolf show. During Ramming Speed. I'm the one with the Toxic Holocaust shirt on and the long hair in the middle-upper left.

Killswitch Engage

From the Ghoul show. I'm right in the middle of the shot with the Origin shirt about to catch a crowdsurfer.

Cannibal Corpse

Enabler

Suffocation. I'm in the pic, but it's like the top inch of my head on the right so I'm not really in it .
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM

Well, I have my to 20 albums decided, now I just have to put them in order. I like them all so much, I don't know how to rank them .
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Eluveitie/Wintersun

Bill: Eluveitie, Wintersun, Varg
Venue: Royale
City: Boston, MA
Date: Friday, December 21, 2012

This was my final show of 2012, and not a bad way to end this year of amazing shows. The first Wintersun US tour, I had to be there. And on the last day of the world and the winter solstice. Good stuff.

First up was Varg. I got there not long after the doors opened, and they had started already. There was a club night after the show, so it had to end real early. Varg was pretty boring actually, nothing special at all. I couldn't get into them.

This venue was pretty nice, but in an actually nice way. Glass chandeliers all around, elaborate decor, couches. It really was just a metal show in a kind of trensy nightclub. Sound and stage and everything were fine, and the show as still great, but it felt weird. Plus there was a raised dance floor at the front of the stage, so hopefully nobody fell off that and hurt themselves.

Wintersun was the band I was most there to see, since I had been listening to them longest and had seen Eluveitie already. They were all I could have hoped for. The old and new songs sounded amazing, and the band put on a great performance. The crowd was really into them, as I expected them to be. I dodn't really mosh or anything, but I was pretty close and was in awe the whole time. They played a little over an hour, and I just loved their set.

Eluveitie was headlining, and they were playing their full album in its entirety. I had seen them before, and liked them a lot, so I didn't really go all out this time around. I like what I had heard from the new album, but hadn't really had a lot of time to get to know the songs. I watched them from the balcony, since a couple friends I was with (not really metalheads, just wanted to go to a metal show with me ) wanted to chill out. That was fine though, since I got a full view of the stage and the crowd. They put on a fun performance, and the new songs sounded really good live. Great show all around!
9/20 Doom
9/27 GBH
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
Eluveitie/Wintersun

Bill: Eluveitie, Wintersun, Varg
Venue: Royale
City: Boston, MA
Date: Friday, December 21, 2012

This was my final show of 2012, and not a bad way to end this year of amazing shows. The first Wintersun US tour, I had to be there. And on the last day of the world and the winter solstice. Good stuff.

First up was Varg. I got there not long after the doors opened, and they had started already. There was a club night after the show, so it had to end real early. Varg was pretty boring actually, nothing special at all. I couldn't get into them.

This venue was pretty nice, but in an actually nice way. Glass chandeliers all around, elaborate decor, couches. It really was just a metal show in a kind of trensy nightclub. Sound and stage and everything were fine, and the show as still great, but it felt weird. Plus there was a raised dance floor at the front of the stage, so hopefully nobody fell off that and hurt themselves.

Wintersun was the band I was most there to see, since I had been listening to them longest and had seen Eluveitie already. They were all I could have hoped for. The old and new songs sounded amazing, and the band put on a great performance. The crowd was really into them, as I expected them to be. I dodn't really mosh or anything, but I was pretty close and was in awe the whole time. They played a little over an hour, and I just loved their set.

Eluveitie was headlining, and they were playing their full album in its entirety. I had seen them before, and liked them a lot, so I didn't really go all out this time around. I like what I had heard from the new album, but hadn't really had a lot of time to get to know the songs. I watched them from the balcony, since a couple friends I was with (not really metalheads, just wanted to go to a metal show with me ) wanted to chill out. That was fine though, since I got a full view of the stage and the crowd. They put on a fun performance, and the new songs sounded really good live. Great show all around!
Glad to hear it was a good show! The Royale is definitely a very strange, upscale venue and having metal shows is probably a bad idea with the elevated dance floor lol. The two shows I've been to there weren't metal, but I hope to see Every Time I Die there in March so I will find out just how bad of an idea it is to have metal shows there.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/