Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
I'm really enjoying this so far; awesome reviews dude! Really fun to read, because they're concise and still have a lot of content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrz View Post
I'm checking this thread daily for your updates Still two shows that we were both at, and I eagerly await your top 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
It's a great thread so far man. I'm not into all the bands you've posted about, but I really like your writing style describing the whole experience of the show. I'm really curious to see what the top 2 shows were and to see what your top albums of the year are as well
Thank you guys so much. It really means a lot to me to see that you're reading and enjoying this thread!
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 AM

2. Municipal Waste/Napalm Death

Bill: Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Vektor
Venue: The Middle East (downstairs)
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Monday, October 29, 2012

This show was everything I could ever want out of a metal show. Great venue, great crowd, great bands, and great performances by all of them. Plus it was two days before Halloween , and this was pretty much my celebration since I couldn't do anything that night. Full review and sets here.

So, this show was held on the day that my area was hit hardest by Hurricane Snady. Although we didn't get it as bad as further south, it was still crazy and not the best night to be out. Trees were down, roads were flooded, and there was rain and strong winds. Still, nothing was gonna stop me from getting to this show. I made sure it was still on, and made my way in, getting there just a little after doors opened.

The crowd was super thin when I got there. Vektor came on a bit after I got in, and I wasn;t sure what to expect. I had heard so many great things about them, especially on this site. But, I couldn't really get into what I had heard from them. They blew me away though, they sounded great live and they really do have a lot of cool parts in their songs . Still not a huge fan, but definitely more of a fan then before I saw them.

Exhumed was up next, and this was my second time seeing them. This was a much smaller venue than the first time though, so it was more intimate, which made them even better. I am a fan of them anyway, but seeing them live just brings their songs to another level! A sick performance by them, and they got decent pits going, even though they weren't continuous. I'm so glad they were on this tour, the perfect band to get me ready for MW and ND .

By this point, the room was filling up nicely. It never really filled up, but I'd say it probably got to about 3/4 full, which was pretty outstanding considering the weather and everything. Napalm Death are legends of their genre, and a band I needed to see. This was my first time, and it was all I could have hoped for. The band sounded terrific, the songs were super intense, and the crowd was going crazy the whole time. The pits were really rough. I know there were some mixed opinions on how Napalm Death played on this tour, but I thought they sounded just fine. They played for just under an hour, which was plenty for me. Simply put, ND were awesome. I was already wiped out, but I needed to stay for the next band.

Municipal Waste are such a fun band , and although I acknowledge ND are more legendary and probably deserved to headline the entire tour, the Waste brings a crowd and put on a wild performance. So, I wasn't upset we got one of the MW headlining sates. From the moment they started, I, along with the rest of the crowd, went absolutely nuts. Their music is perfect for a live setting, and it is so fun to mosh and headbang to . After being in the ND pit for almost all of their set, I managed to have enough energy to spend almost all of MW's set moshing. They played for an hour, and packed a bunch of songs I wanted to hear into their set. Another performance that was everything I could have hoped for and more . I hyped this show up in my head to ridiculous levels from the day it was announced to the night of, and I still had more fun than I expected to .
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 AM

I just looked through a couple pages of this thread, and I think I may have gone a little overboard with the smiley faces . Sorry if that distracted anyone reading these! I wanted to try to use some random ones I would never otherwise use.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

1. Morbid Angel

Bill: Morbid Angel, Dark Funeral, Grave, Vital Remains, VadimVon
Venue: The Palladium
City: Worcester, MA
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012

So this is it! My number 1 show of the year, the concert event that topped all others! Seriously though, as much of a joke as Morbid Angel have become lately, they still put on a ridiculously badass show, and I just had so much fun all night. Full review and setlists by yours truly here.

The show was expected to start an hour after doors open, so I got there about 40 minutes after, expecting the first band would be starting not long after. But, in typical Palladium fashion, the show started early and I walked in as VadimVon were starting their last song. They sounded okay, not terrible but nothing to write home about.

Vital Remains were up next. They were added on to this show since this is basically the local date for them. Great addition to this lineup, and they were badass as always. My third time seeing them, and by far the biggest stage. The crowd was still pretty small at this point, but they got some movement out of the few people there.

Grave came on next, and as many people on this site know, they play awesome Swedish death metal. Great music to headbang to. They didn't really get many pits going, but everyone was headbanging along . So glad they were on this tour, and I would love to see a longer set from them.

Dark Funeral played after Grave, and they were the only black metal band onm this death metal lineup. Still, they weren't too out of place, and they were lots of fun to watch. They got some pretty decent pits going, and it was obvious a lot of people were there to see them. Although they may not be my favorite black metal band, they are far from one of my least favorites and I do enjoy them a lot.

Now it was time. One of the bands I have been wanting to see for a few years, and now they are finally about to hit the stage right in front of me. Excited would be a major understatement. The lights dimmed, and everyone started yelling. Once they came out and kicked into Immortal Rites, the place erupted. The pit stayed contant and pretty big the whole set. I spent time moshing and headbanging near the front, just taking in the songs that really got me into death metal. Although they are kind of a joke now, their old songs are still some of my favorite DM tracks of all time, and hearing them live was an experience i will not forget . I saw so many great shows this year, and it really was hard to rank them, but I felt this had to be number 1, it really was that amazing to me!
2/7 Napalm Death

Last edited by energymetal14; 12-19-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Once again, thank you everyone who took the time to look at and read this thread. Since I had so much fun, I think I'm gonna do a couple honorable mention shows. There were a few that easily could have been on this list, but there just wasn't enough room. But they are worth mentioning, so I'll write about them. I might even post a couple photos from some shows, but maybe not, so sorry if I don't. Hopefully this will hold me over till I finalize my top 20, which should be soon.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

Nice reviews yo! Pretty sure everyone agrees ND should headline not MW. Oh well all bout having a grand time.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM
N00B

Awesome reviews! I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Still disappointed that Morbid Angel couldn't get into Canada earlier this year. Oh well.
04/24 - Nile
Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
N00B

Most excellent thread and I am totally on board with your #1 pick. I love Morbid Angel and no matter what evolutions death metal goes through, those first three albums still set the bar for what it means to define a (sub)genre as far as I'm concerned. Trey is my favorite metal guitarist, putting last year's album aside, I still love even the lesser-received albums like Heretic and Gateways.

I was also at a total of four shows, from your list; the other two are your #1 and #2 picks Maybe there were more that we had in common and those other ones just didn't make your own top 20. But I think we can agree that the four we shared all kicked ass front to back.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Great finish to a great list and I'm really jealous you got to see Morbid Angel!
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Nice reviews yo! Pretty sure everyone agrees ND should headline not MW. Oh well all bout having a grand time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0unds View Post
Awesome reviews! I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Still disappointed that Morbid Angel couldn't get into Canada earlier this year. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrz View Post
Most excellent thread and I am totally on board with your #1 pick. I love Morbid Angel and no matter what evolutions death metal goes through, those first three albums still set the bar for what it means to define a (sub)genre as far as I'm concerned. Trey is my favorite metal guitarist, putting last year's album aside, I still love even the lesser-received albums like Heretic and Gateways.

I was also at a total of four shows, from your list; the other two are your #1 and #2 picks Maybe there were more that we had in common and those other ones just didn't make your own top 20. But I think we can agree that the four we shared all kicked ass front to back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Great finish to a great list and I'm really jealous you got to see Morbid Angel!
Thanks everyone!!!
2/7 Napalm Death