Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
Up next was Decrepit Birth. All I can say is . I love this band, they seriously are one of my favorite death metal bands going right now. The guitar work is incredible, and the music is just always amazing. This was my first time seeing them somehow, and it was as great as I could have imagined. Bill did his rantings about hallucinogenic drugs, and the band just sounded so great. They only played for about a half hour, but it was still enough to impress me. I really want to see them again playing a longer set!
Out of the five times I've seen them I don't think they ever played over 30 minutes. They need to do a damn headlining tour. And they need to play Essence of Creation.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Out of the five times I've seen them I don't think they ever played over 30 minutes. They need to do a damn headlining tour. And they need to play Essence of Creation.
Yes and yes to this! Seeing them headline would be amazing
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM

4. Nasum

Bill: Nasum, Brutal Truth, Dropdead, Magrudergrind, Grudges
Venue: Europa
City: Brooklyn, New York, NY
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012

Okay, so I'll be honest here. When Nasum first announced they were doing this final tour, I didn't really know who they were. I was just starting to get into grind, and really was not too familiiar with many bands, even a legendary band like Nasum. But, I checked them out, and I was blown away . i knew I HAD to make it to one of these shows. When they announced all US dates, the closest one was in Providence, which is less than an hour and a half away from me and seemed like the most ligical option. But, it was the same night as Ghoul in Boston, which I already had plans to go to (that was a great show too, it could have been in my top shows but some others just beat it out). This is where things get interesting.

My dad coaches baseball, and his team had a tournament in southern CT the weekend of the show, so he was going down that way Friday either way. So, we realized New York was only about an hour and a half away, so he told me he would go down with me the night of the show. Seriously, my DAD was saying he would go to a grind show with me . That was super cool of him, and we bought 2 tickets and made reservations at a hotel in Brooklyn close to the club. I knew this would be amazing.

I did a few month crash course on the bands playing (and grind in general, and now I fucking love it and listen to it as much as anything else). The day of the show, wh packed the car with my dad's baseball stuff and a few things we would need, and made our way down to New York. This was my first time actually going to the city in over 10 years (I had driven through a few times, but my last time staying there was 2 weeks before 9/11, which is scary). We got into Brooklyn and found the hotel, and got food at a nearby diner before going to the show. I can say that Williamsburg really is the center of hipsters, they were fucking everywhere, I couldn't believe it.

We got to the venue a little after the doors opened, and Grudges was just finishing up their set. I didn't listen to them much before the show, and I couldn't really get a sense of how they were from the couple minutes I was in there. My dad stood near the back and I headed closer to the front, but not right up front. Magrudergrind came on next, and they were fucking awesome. They sounded intense live, just as they do on record. The crowd wasn't too crazy for them, but people seemed into them. I have definitely gotten more into them since the show, and would love to see them again.

Dropdead was up next, and they were the band I was second most excited to see. I just love their hardcore punk/powerviolence sound, it's so intense and just fucking cool. The singer did lots of rants about how the world is fucked, how animal cruelty is bad, and how the message was just important as the music. Since I'm a vegetarian who thinks there is a lot of fucked up shit in the world and has views in line with this band and other punk bands, I loved it . They are another band I have to see again.

Brutal Truth played after Dropdead, and I kinda wish I liked them more than I did. Their songs on record aren't bad, but I just wasn't THAT into the performance. They were good, but didn't blow me away. I'm not sure why though, cause I really did want to like them and think they are a pretty good band. Plus they are grind legends, so I definitely have tons of respect for them.

Nasum headlined, and I couldn't have been more pumped. They were the only band i really got into the pit for. I took a spot about 2 or 3 rows back from the stage and spent the whole set headbanging, moshing, and just having a great fucking time. The played just shy of an hour, but that is perfect for such an intense grind assault as Nasum . I am a big fan of Keijo and Rotten Sound, so I think he was the perfect choice for a vocalist on this tour, even if he can't replace Meiszko (R.I.P.). The crowd was definitely there for them, as the place erupted as soon as they started. They played plenty of songs I wanted to hear, and I have no complaints about the setlist. So much fun, I was smiling the whole time. I bought a Nasum shirt to remember the show. We headed back to the hotel after the show, and called it a night. It seriously was such an amazing show, and I am so glad I made it down there to catch one of these final Nasum shows.

The next day, me and my dad did some sightseeing around New York, hitting some of the main spots and some areas i didn't get to see last time I was there. We went to Tom's Restaurant for lunch which is the diner from Seinfeld. My dad wanted to go, but it was actually not really that great We didn't mind though. At this point, we headed out of the city, and I had dinner with my Dad before dripping him off at his hotel in CT and making the 3 hour drive back home. This was an amazing couple of days withj my Dad, and I am so glad we decided to make this trip.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

^ That's a pretty cool story, bro (not being sarcastic). I hope my son ends up writing a ton of stories like that some day.

Also, I agree with your assessment of BT live. They are legends, and on album (at least some of them, such as "Need to Control"), they are are excellent, but in a live setting they just sound like a bunch of static. I can never tell one song from another...as much as I really do like them as a band.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
^ That's a pretty cool story, bro (not being sarcastic). I hope my son ends up writing a ton of stories like that some day.

Also, I agree with your assessment of BT live. They are legends, and on album (at least some of them, such as "Need to Control"), they are are excellent, but in a live setting they just sound like a bunch of static. I can never tell one song from another...as much as I really do like them as a band.
Thanks man!

I only have 3 left on this list!! I'm gonna go cause some mayhem in the snow , then hopefully bang out a couple more later tonight. Plus I have about half of my top 20 albums done, so I hope to start that not long after I finish this.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 AM

3. Ramming Speed/Speedwolf

Bill: Ramming Speed, Speedwolf, Ancient Filth, Led to the Grave
Venue: What We Talk About
City: Allston, MA
Date: Friday, March 30, 2012

This show was awesome for a few different reasons. First and foremost, the lineup was sick, all the bands killed it. Second, the crowd was wild and the place went crazy for all the bands. Third, this was my first show at a DIY venue, which was pretty cool .

I saw the flyer for the show, and figured it would be cool to go for Ramming Speed. Then I listened to Speedwolf. They are an awesome band, and I knew I HAD to be at this. So, I found out the address and showed up that night. The venue was in a loft space, and it was a pretty small room with no stage. It had a total DIY punk feel . I thought I would be pretty uncomfortable since I wasn't used to the whole basement/DIY scene, but it was a pretty welcoming environment and I blended right in. People were smoking cigarettes and some other stuff inside the place all night, and there were cases of beer all over. So, safe to say most people in the place were pretty wasted, and the room reeked of smoke haha. I stuck to Monster though, cause I had to drive.

The first band up was Led to the Grave, a local thrash band. They are pretty decent, I hadn't really listened to them much before the show so I wasn't too familiar with their material. They were fun though, and a good band to start off the metal/punk extravaganza.

Ancient Filth played next, and they are a local hardcore punk band who were pretty awesome. The entire set was intense, and they got the crowd going. Good band, great set, another band I checked out more after the show.

Speedwolf was the only touring act on the lineup, but they played second to last. The crowd had grown pretty large by this point, and the whole room was packed with punks and metalheads ready to go nuts. From the time Speedwolf started to when they finished their last song (Denver 666 ), there was constant pit action, crowdsurfing, headbanging, drinking, and everything else that should go along with their music. So crazy, I was still standing off to the side at during their set, but they sounded awesome and their music just has so much energy. They said that was the best crowd they had seen on their tour, and I can believe it. It was so awesome to see all of the people that came out and went all out.

Ramming Speed came on last, and they are a local crossover band that has a pretty good fanbase in Boston. Every time I've seen them has had a good crowd, but nothing compared to this. The entire room erupted once again when they stared, and the energy never let up till the very end. The combination of alcohol and loud, fast music just made everyone go crazy. Ramming Speed played well as always, and I was finally able to jump into the pit for the last few songs. Totally ridiculous show, and even my bro had a great time, despite the fact that he didn't really want to go that much. I'll never see a show here again, since the police shut it down recently , but I am so glad I made it out to this show!
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM

I really want to thank everyone who has read this thread. I'm sorry I've made it such a long, drawn-out thing but I have just been super busy and haven't had much time on the computer. It's almost 4 AM now, and I gotta work 2 to close tomorrow, so I probably won't have time before that. But I will finish this and move on to my albums. Once again, thanks for anyone who has read through this, it means a lot to me . I've enjoyed doing this, and I've definitely enjoyed reading everone else's year-end favorites in the other threads.
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
I really want to thank everyone who has read this thread. I'm sorry I've made it such a long, drawn-out thing but I have just been super busy and haven't had much time on the computer. It's almost 4 AM now, and I gotta work 2 to close tomorrow, so I probably won't have time before that. But I will finish this and move on to my albums. Once again, thanks for anyone who has read through this, it means a lot to me . I've enjoyed doing this, and I've definitely enjoyed reading everone else's year-end favorites in the other threads.
I'm really enjoying this so far; awesome reviews dude! Really fun to read, because they're concise and still have a lot of content.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM
N00B

I'm checking this thread daily for your updates Still two shows that we were both at, and I eagerly await your top 2.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
It's a great thread so far man. I'm not into all the bands you've posted about, but I really like your writing style describing the whole experience of the show. I'm really curious to see what the top 2 shows were and to see what your top albums of the year are as well
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/