Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
That right there is the best album of this decade by far.
While I appreciate your excitement for this album, I can think of at last eight albums in 2011 alone that were better. Of course, that kinda goes without saying, doesn't it?

Carrying on...

8. Indian - Guiltess

Now this joker really knows what he is talking about.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM

7. Origin - Entity

Every year, there are usually at least one or two albums that I hate to listen to because, try as I might, I can’t help but have high expectations for them going in, which is something I try not to do because, like anyone, I hate to be disappointed by a band that I really love. However, when I do listen to them, not only are my expectations met, but in fact they are blown away. Entity is that type of album, and from first listen, I was blessed by that wonderful feeling that happens fairly rarely where an album that’s already expected to be very good turns out to be utterly outstanding. On this, their fifth full-length, KC area tech death masters Origin return with not only a new lead vocalist, but also what may prove to be their best album to date. Screamer Jason Keyser had some big shoes to fill (both literally as well as figuratively) with the departure of James Lee, but in spite of the immense challenge he basically shows up and knocks the ball out of the fucking park. Not only that, but the rest of the band members are in top form on this album as well. The musicianship is tight, the blast beats are furious, the vocals border on insanity, and perhaps best of all, the riffs are catchy and memorable. Origin’s basic formula is really pretty simple – melt the listener’s face with pure sonic aggression – and yet no one else seems to pull it off as well or make it look as easy as Origin does…and this album is a perfect example of that.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 AM

6. Red Fang - Murder the Mountains

Check out the opinions of this funky ninja right here.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Top five time, bitches. Everybody try and act surprised by this next one...

5. Russian Circles - Empros

Everybody who knows me, knows that I am a huge fan of this amazing post-metal band. Having said that, it might surprise some folks to learn that I more or less tend to agree with those who say that they generally prefer the band’s work in reverse chronological order. However, it must also be clearly understood that, in my opinion, this band has never released an album which is anything less than stellar. To me, everything this band does is pure gold (at least so far). On this, their fourth full-length, the band eschews the experimentation that led them to include a few guest musicians on strings on their previous album, and they return to their signature minimalistic form. After being a die-hard fan since their first album, it still amazes me to this day how an instrumental power trio can make so much beautiful noise with essentially zero vocals and minimal use of technology. They use looping pedals from time to time, and…that’s about it. The rest of their sound is purely organic, and the proof of this is exemplified in their live show. They pride themselves on sounding exactly the same on stage as they do on record (the only exception to this being on their third album, as noted above). Also, the melodies and riffs these guys continue to come up with are sometimes achingly beautiful and other times crushingly powerful – and they move between these two extremes with such ease and grace, it just continues to blow me away. If you’ve never listened to this band, you are really missing out. I’ve never met someone yet who turned his or her nose up at them. Ever. If you have heard them but haven’t seen them play live, you need to get your ass to one of their shows. Trust me – you won’t be sorry.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM

4. The Seven Mile Journey - Notes for the Synthesis

As if the opening notes of the album's first song weren't mournful enough - a few minutes into the track, the deep string timbre of what I can only assume is a bowed guitar kicks in, and then things get truly morose. So it goes with this incredibe album. Early song layers evoke huge emotions from the listener, only to be lapped over and swallowed up by even thicker subsequent layers, creating an ever-growing, swirling mass of beautiful chaos that threatens to completely overcome anyone within earshot. In short, these four Danes are masters of the classic post-rock buildup and crescendo, to the point that they truly give legendary peers such as Mono and GY!BE a serious run for their money. In fact, since I have the unfair advantage of hindsight because I'm writing this review on the heels of both of those bands' latest releases, I can honestly say that this album is even better than either one of those - and no, I'm not kidding. They are both excellent, but this one is phenomenal. The keyboards alone are enough to make me a slave to this album, but the guitar parts and the expert use of percussion just completely seal the deal. Not to leave a spoiler in my own thread, but this album is the second-best post-rock album in a year which was absolutely ruled by excellent post-rock releases, in my opinion - and that's saying quite a bit. As it turns out, this was my first experience with this excellent band, but thanks to this album, I'll be checking out the rest of their catalog (two other full-lengths and a demo) very soon.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-15-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM

3. *shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some idiot named Chris Poling

With a title like Plains of the Purple Buffalo, one might be tempted to think that this album would be filled with psychedlia and musical "visions" of mythical creatures the likes of which might only be found in Wonderland. Where the title is perhaps most apt, though, is in the imagery of the "Plains" which are described therein. One typically thinks of a plain as a vast expanse of land, stretching out in every direction as far as the eye can see, and indeed, this album fits that motif perfectly. Within its whopping seventy-six minutes, this album traverses a huge figurative landscape, taking the listener on a sonic journey which explores a range of emotional territories ranging from sadness and longing, to love and loss, to hope and redemption - and best of all - to euphoric victory and outright joy. It sounds like a lot to take in - and trust me, it is - but it's one of the most rewarding musical journeys I have ever experienced. The sheer volume and range of the sounds made by the many and varied instruments on this album (which range from guitars, drums and vocals to keyboards, horns and strings) is nearly overwhelming - but in the best possible way. Not only that, but the orchestration of the instruments is expertly done. It all just seems to fit together so naturally. Nothing is forced - everything has a definite meaning and purpose. To put it as simply and clearly as possible, this album is so absolutely beautiful in many places that it has nearly moved me to tears - literally - on more that one occasion. Enough said.
Source: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/juk...ear-end-lists/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM

2. Bloodiest - Descent

Quote:

Few would argue that the debut album from the seven-piece Illinois-based all-star ensemble Bloodiest is truly a unique piece of work. For starters, this band can bend and twist genres as easily as most folks can walk and talk. Various styles such as doom, sludge and even a dash of post-metal are dissolved in a thick broth of psychedelia, and the end result is, of course (you knew I was going to say it) - delicious. Add to this already rich mixture the fact that these extremely talented musicians have known each other for over a decade - although they do come from various different bands - and the end result is a unique but undeniable chemistry that melds together a myriad of different musical styles and influences in a way that feels perfectly organic and seemless. From the the doomy death-march opening track Fallen to the aptly-named closing track Obituary - which literally slows to a snail's pace and "dies" at its very end - each track is expertly and thoughtfully crafted into a beautiful nugget of raw emotion which, when added together as a whole, seem to be slightly unsatisfying if only for the fact that there aren't twice or three times as many of these little gems to enjoy. In other words, the album's one possible fault is that it may be a bit short compared to some listeners' expectations or desires (about thirty-eight minutes in total), but yet another way to say this is to state that the one thing a listener may be left wanting for at the end of Descent is...more - which is arguably one of the best "problems" an album can have.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM

...and here it is, ladies and germs - the moment you all thought would never come - The Mighty Nat's Favorite Album of...the year before last.

Oh well...at least I finished this beast. Now at least I can cross this item off my "To Do" list before the world ends next week. Speaking of forces which could cause the apocalypse...

1. SubRosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones

Quote:
Earlier this year, not long after this album was released, one of my metal colleagues made a remark about it, saying that if a better doom album was released this year, he would eat his hat. Indeed. Not only did this early prediction of "best doom album of 2011" prove to be true, but as it turns out, no other band released a better metal album this year, period. As in previous years for this reviewer, the primary quality for ranking albums on a list like this is overall appeal, as measured by the relative amount of time an album spends in my listening queue. Since its release, this album has never left that queue. It continues to amaze and mesmerize me every time I listen to it. Perhaps it's the way the strings mix so seamlessly with the heavy guitar work. Perhaps it's the creepy yet beautiful vocals, which range from a mere whisper to a foreboding death growl. Perhaps it's the overall atmosphere of the stories which are told. At the end of the day, putting one's finger on the exact reason "why" is much less meaningful than the mere fact that an album such as this can continue to truly captivate and enrapture the listener time after time after time. This album does that for me in a way that no other album did this year - hence, the mighty SubRosa have conquered all challengers with this beautiful, bludgeoning masterpiece.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Buahahahahaha

Congrats on finishing the thread and a great list of albums! You've finished just in time to start your 2012 thread!
12/07 Pallbearer
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Congrats on finishing the thread and a great list of albums! You've finished just in time to start your 2012 thread!
Thanks, man. Now maybe I can post a review of the Red Fang / Black Tusk show I saw a month ago.