Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Thanks, I enjoyed those two very much so. I was especially surprised with Soundgarden, given what I had heard about Rush I'm not surprised at the outcome.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 AM

14. Pepe Deluxe - Queen Of The Wave

#5 from MPF. Easily the best one too. This is an eclectic mix of so many kinds of rock, I would've thought impossible before. It is definitely most oriented towards theatrical, spacey rock, but there is so much going on it's sometimes hard to tell. From start to finish, this album has something to offer for everyone. Insanely catchy melodies and great, crafty songwriting that is extremely rare. No metal traces to be found, heads up, not that this means anything to me. This is one of those albums where every listen gives you a new perspective, or you hear something you didn't hear before. Fine wine style. I highly recommend this album for an open minded spirit who wants to venture into some sort-of uncharted territory. Have at it.

9/10

"Go Supersonic" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn2c6LhUBeI
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post

14. Pepe Deluxe - Queen Of The Wave

#5 from MPF. Easily the best one too. This is an eclectic mix of so many kinds of rock, I would've thought impossible before. It is definitely most oriented towards theatrical, spacey rock, but there is so much going on it's sometimes hard to tell. From start to finish, this album has something to offer for everyone. Insanely catchy melodies and great, crafty songwriting that is extremely rare. No metal traces to be found, heads up, not that this means anything to me. This is one of those albums where every listen gives you a new perspective, or you hear something you didn't hear before. Fine wine style. I highly recommend this album for an open minded spirit who wants to venture into some sort-of uncharted territory. Have at it.

9/10

"Go Supersonic" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn2c6LhUBeI

Very happy to see anyone else from here love this album too!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Rats off to ya

I should probably check out that Pepe Deluxe record. I've seen people compare it to Mr. Bungle.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM

13. Bonded By Blood - The Aftermath

Even though the grand majority of thrash metal has become pretty boring to me (especially the new wave), there are always those few who still manage to catch my attention. Bonded By Blood have kept it constant from the first record, and they've gotten better and better. Not to mention that the singer change was a very nice touch to this new one. Concerning the music, these guys have always focused on being fast and nasty, and nothing changes on this album. They have some different tunings from the usual E flat, and it is instantly noticeable, such a in the track below. The groove they have added to some songs is very well placed too, and the emphasis on powerful, harmonic minor soloing/riffage is always a hefty check in my book. I'm very pleased with The Aftermath, and I hope the streak continues for them.

9/10

"Among The Vultures" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqtUzoPECg
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM

12. Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending To Infinity

After hearing that Luca Turilli was leaving Rhapsody of Fire to start another Rhapsody, I was intrigued. Rhapsody has been on a steady decline for the past couple of years, and this was finally the opportunity to see the root of the problem: Alex or Luca. Clearly, Luca was not. This album is everything that Rhapsody of Fire could have been spewing, but for reasons beyond my understanding, have not. The majestic feel of this album is incredible, and every song feels like a different passage into Luca's different creative outlets. From the speed-oriented and heavy "Dark Fate of Atlantis" to the beautiful "Luna", this album is filled with stellar moments that any power metal fan should love. Even their note-for-note cover of "March of Time" is an enjoyable listen. I hope this band can come to the States, because I would see them in a heartbeat.

9/10

"Clash Of The Titans" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5DOvH54o9Y
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM

11. Aeon Zen - Enigma

Progressive metal in the vein of Dream Theater and Eumeria. Extremely talented, and extremely unknown. I would have never heard of this album had I not already been familiar with the band. Damned shame too. There are some beautiful songs on this album, as well as some very unexpected tracks. They even took some Djent influence and have some chugging riffs here and there, most noticeably in the very beginning of "Downfall". Upon further listening, I realized that this album sounds a fair amount like Devin Townsend material, obviously without his voice and over-the-top mannerisms. This is a very tight release that nearly made it to my Top 10, but a late contender made its way in instead. Give it a listen if you wish.

P.S. - I didn't realize my above comment would stand so strong. They don't even have any of the new stuff on YouTube. The best they have is the guitarist playing "Divinity", without the vocals. What a shame. I have a song from the past album, and it should still give a semi-similar vibe. Just get the actual album if you like what you hear. I decided to post the guitar playthrough version as well.

9/10

"Redemption's Shadow" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDdLoLPW_s

"Divinity" (without vocals, it's so much better with vocals so don't judge too much) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJD2ngvEnA

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 12-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM

10. Jeff Loomis - Plains Of Oblivion

And so begins the Top 10. As logic imposes, these albums are the best of the year for me. They will each get two songs, because one is simply not enough. And heading at #10 is Jeff Loomis, ex-guitar player of Nevermore. His first album was decent, nothing great but far from bad. This is everything the first album should have been. Much more focused songwriting, crushingly heavy at points, and a few guest vocalists sprinkled throughout. The two songs with the female vocalist are easily some of the best on the album. Whoever she is, she needs to get well known. His soloing is beyond talented and his guitar tone makes me insanely envious, but that goes without saying at this point. Loomis has shown that he is without a doubt the reason Nevermore are the way they are, not that that needed much convincing anyway. I give massive props to Mr. Loomis this round, and I hope to see an even stronger release the next time around (if that's possible).

P.S. - Awesome artwork. Mesmerizing if you look at it for a bit.

9.5/10

"The Ultimatum" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHAR57-tUE

"Tragedy & Harmony" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFbXyCbBSYM
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM

9. Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent

The successor to Design Your Universe was an interesting threshold for me, given I had semi-recently got into Epica, two years after it was released. I fell hard for it though. I still find it to be Epica's best album to date, by far. However, I don't mean to belittle their efforts on this one. The songwriting is definitely there, and at the end of the day that is Epica's key strength. Their technical prowess and beautiful, powerful vocals are all secondary to the quality of the compositions. At some points when Simone sings, it sounds as if an angel were channeling her voice into her. The cheesiness of that statement aside, she really sounds great. As to why it doesn't surpass Design Your Universe is puzzling to me, but one thing that stands out is the production quality, strictly on a comparative basis with the aforementioned. Requiem's production is a little bit more mechanical, if that makes sense. Doesn't sound as organic as Design, but that could just be me being extreme. Case in point, it's a testament to this band that even an album perceived to be a slight step down is still in the Top 10. Epica are a progressive metal powerhouse and anyone who doesn't think so is wrong. Simply put.

9.5/10

"Karma/Monopoly On Truth" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJ76TQYzNU

"Guilty Demeanor" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-qD5QJVzw
Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM

8. Stone Sour - House Of Gold And Bones - Part 1

Considering the last release of theirs (which is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be), I didn't really know what to think of this one. The teaser tracks were alright, and they seemed to be in a better place. After listening to it properly a few times, I was smitten. Very much so. Corey Taylor has compared this album to Alice In Chain's classic 'Dirt', and while that may seem a bold statement, it validates itself in the music. This is one of those moments where some magic happened in the studio. I don't really know another way to describe it. All of the track flow intricately with each other, one to the next, while maintaing their own unique place in the story. The openers are up there in heaviness, while tracks like "Taciturn" and "The Travelers, Pt. 1" really tug at your heartstrings. It's an incredibly well rounded album with a nod to grunge legends and modern hard rock/alternative metal bands. Not to mention everyone sounds great on their respective instruments, as the band maturity has hit a new high. If this was Part 1, I can only hope that Part 2 is as good. If so, then I consider that a huge accomplishment.

9.5/10

"Gone Sovereign/Absolute Zero" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsW95u5nmcc

"Taciturn" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCGpI6rz3x4