Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

27. Siamese Fighting Fish - Breathe: See: Move

#3 from MPF. Terrible band name, and I was skeptical at first, but anything with a potential 'prog' influence has my attention even if for a moment. Definitely an album I would never have come across. Very interesting band, as one description doesn't really pin it. They have styles of punk, new age alternative, hard rock, progressive, etc. The end result is definitely good though. Catchy vocals, great hooks, and songwriting skills that others wish they had. The violinist really adds a lot to the atmosphere as well. The twists and turns this album has is impressive, and it makes for a pretty easy listen from start to finish for this almost 45 minute record. Upon first listen I was thoroughly enjoying it, and time has only made it better. This band will definitely be on my radar from now on.

8/10

"HAUT" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRg7lbyfXsU
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
N00B

You have an interesting spread of tastes. I'm checking out that Siamese Fighting Fish video right now and it is pretty cool. I might give this a buy.
I was at ProgPower in 2006 when Vision Divine played with their then-current singer. In a lineup full of killer vocalists (and musicians), the singer for that band was leaps and bounds in front of everyone. He was nailing pitches and projecting his voice with a confidence and authority that was very attention-grabbing.

Last edited by markrz; 12-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the comment. My tastes do vary, and I'm glad you've enjoyed a few. I'm incredibly jealous of your attendance at ProgPower 2006, I really want to go to one and the fact that Vision Divine with Michael was there is even more enticing. Maybe one day.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM

26. Bad Salad - Uncivilized

#4 from MPF. Another terrible band name, but outstanding music. Very progressive, and of high quality too. These guys take a no-shame bow to Dream Theater, and emulate many qualities that have made them the champions of prog metal. The singer sounds great, and the guitar tone sounds very much like Petrucci's. The fact that this is a debut is even more impressive. I certainly would never have come across this band by any means, so I'm glad I did. For any fans of quality prog in the vein of Dream Theater, this is a no-brainer.

8/10

"Crowded Sky" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYA6ZjjI0ng
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
That Guy

I am very happy to see I do have an affect on someone's taste in music, especially this much. 4 albums so far since I've been doing this in November. Thank you very much!

Great list so far!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM

1 more left too, as of right now. Those 5 from all hunting has been totally worth it. I don't know where you find out about these bands, but I appreciate the exposure. Keep up yours as well!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

25. Kotipelto & Liimatainen - Blackoustic

The second and final acoustic album on this list. Singer from Stratovarius and guitarist from Sonata Arctica decided to record some acoustic tracks after playing them live over in Europe. Honestly, I was pretty indifferent upon hearing the news, even though I would certainly give it a spin. The end result is actually quite nice. The acoustic version of Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica songs sound great, and the other covers/originals flow very well. Even the Finnish song is well-constructed. Upon hearing the "Black Diamond" rendition, I was honestly astounded at how good it was. The solo sounds so beautiful. This was a nice surprise, and if anybody is a fan of these two bands or just nice acoustic music, this merits attention.

8/10

"Black Diamond" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmRvlDFprs
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
1 more left too, as of right now. Those 5 from all hunting has been totally worth it. I don't know where you find out about these bands, but I appreciate the exposure. Keep up yours as well!
Since the day I discovered Dream theater and Opeth on the same day at Walmart back in 2004, I've been on the hunt to find the best music possible no matter what rock or metal genre it is. This is just the 8th year of me doing that.

Also getting a fuckload of promo albums this year thanks to my radio show has helped a lot.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM

24. Diabulus In Musica - The Wanderer

Female fronted power metal. Nice, quick summary to get those who like it to listen and those who don't to leave. However, they have crafty songwriting skills. I can't exactly describe it, but they do things differently. It might be the transition from very heavy to very light, it could be the songwriting, but the overall package is very strong. The track below has one of the catchiest keyboard licks I've heard this year, and I can't remember how many times it's been stuck in my head, or I catch myself humming it. This sophomore release shows promise for the band, and I look forward to seeing what they release in the future. It's a shame little people know of this band. I easily see them holding their own against heavyweights Within Temptation and Nightwish.

8/10

"Sceneries of Hope" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd17f21f58s
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM

23. Muse - The 2nd Law

For all the hate new Muse gets, I get confused more and more. They've changed a lot since the first few albums, and if that was the only reason you liked them then alright. But the new music is still quality, just of a different type. I fail to see how half of this album can be deemed as worthless as most people claim it to be. This is a step up from the last album, and some songs on here are some of the best they've done in recent times. "Madness" has that typical alternative, elctro-y Muse sound they've adapted, while tracks like "Supremacy" blatantly worship Zepellin (particularly Kashmir). "Survival", the Olympics song, has one of the heaviest outros I've heard from Muse since "Stockholm Syndrome". The track below has a great groove, and has an insanely catchy chorus too. All I know is new Muse is quite good, although not as good as the Absolution-era. It's worth a listen for somebody wanting solid alternative.

8/10

"Panic Station" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk24UKKI4yY