Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 AM
One who onions things

The Sword -- Los Angeles, CA -- December 12th, 2012

Fun show with a very solid bill! The first band was American Sharks. Their singer seemed like a really fun and nice dude, I actually didn't mind his occasional chats with the crowd since it was mostly about stoked he was to play. They were like if Kyuss played only their punky songs. Like they had a stoner metal guitar tone, but the songs were short and fast.

Gypsyhawk once again didn't disappoint and their set was super energetic and fun. It was the same setlist from the Armored Saint show but with one song dropped, but the band seemed more relaxed and spirited- probably since they were playing a crowd that was much more receptive to their style of music.

Gypsyhawk setlist:

1. Overloaded
2. The Fields
3. Hedgeking
4. Gypsyhawk
5. Eyes of Ibad
6. Black Betty
7. Commander of the High Forest

The Sword were very good live, lots of moshing and a surprising number of really dedicated fans. I didn't think there were so many hardcore Sword fans that knew every word and riff, but lo and behold there were a ton of them going crazy on the floor. JD seemed pretty annoyed by the frequent crowd surfers- there was no barrier so fans could get onstage super easily. JD's vocals also sounded really thin and kind of buried in the mix, dunno if it was just bad sound or if he was having an off-night; I thought he sounded fantastic last year when I saw them open for Kyuss Lives. The sound was otherwise great. The drums sounded huge and the guitars were heavy as fuck. Arrows in the Dark especially sounded beyond heavy live, it annihilated the studio version. The set kind of dragged a little bit in the middle, it's probably a good thing that the set was only about 80 minutes. Any longer and I think that the songs would have gotten a little repetitive. As much as I like The Sword, I do have to admit that their songs start to sound the same after a while. Still a fun set though no Iron Swan is total horseshit.

I'm not super sure on the setlist since I don't have Apocryphon yet, but the first seven songs and the last five songs are for sure accurate and Maiden Mother and Crone was definitely played as well. The rest was filled in from an earlier set sourced from setlist.fm

The Sword setlist:

1. Apocryphon
2. Freya
3. Hammer of Heaven
4. Codex Corvidae
5. Tres Brujas
6. To Take the Black
7. Cloak of Feathers
8. The Hidden Masters
9. Dying Earth
10. Maiden, Mother & Crone
11. The Horned Goddess
12. Seven Sisters
13. Arrows in the Dark
14. Veil of Isis
Encore:
15. Barael's Blade
16. Winter's Wolves
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31

Last edited by Onioner; 12-13-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Did you happen to see the statement they posted about how they don't appreciate moshing and shit like that at their shows?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Did you happen to see the statement they posted about how they don't appreciate moshing and shit like that at their shows?
I did actually! I was surprised he didn't say anything about the moshing, it was pretty active for most of the set with five or six dudes being the main instigators of the action. There was one stage diver who danced around onstage for a little too long and JD rolled his eyes and gave a "not this shit again" look. I really hope that the band isn't dropping Iron Swan just because it's thrashy and certain to induce a pit. That would be lame as hell.

Honestly, as long as moshers are respectful and don't drag anyone who wants to be left alone into the pit I have no problem with it. Hell, I think it's actually an amazing way to express your love for music in a socially acceptable physical manner. Head banging can only go so far ya know?
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I did actually! I was surprised he didn't say anything about the moshing, it was pretty active for most of the set with five or six dudes being the main instigators of the action. There was one stage diver who danced around onstage for a little too long and JD rolled his eyes and gave a "not this shit again" look. I really hope that the band isn't dropping Iron Swan just because it's thrashy and certain to induce a pit. That would be lame as hell.

Honestly, as long as moshers are respectful and don't drag anyone who wants to be left alone into the pit I have no problem with it. Hell, I think it's actually an amazing way to express your love for music in a socially acceptable physical manner. Head banging can only go so far ya know?
No!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM
N00B

If you are moshing at a Sword show then you are a complete poser who is at that show for the wrong reasons.

For goodness sakes. They are a retro trad doom band.
You don't mosh to doom or traditional metal.

I have seen people (and I hate to say it but its always young kids) even try to mosh at power metal shows.

Note to the young nooB metal fans:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MOSH AT A SHOW.
QUITE FRANKLY, YOU DO IT WRONG ANYHOW AND LOOK LIKE A MORON.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

The saddest display of moshing I have ever seen was this summer at Agalloch. Every time the band would pick up the tempo these three 16 year olds would start shoving each other and everyone around them would just look at them for a second and shake their heads. It went on all night.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

There are two kinds of people in this world; those who know when to mosh and those who mosh to anything.

I saw Brother Cane many years ago, and these two kept moshing. It was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonic View Post
You don't mosh to doom or traditional metal.
Couldn't agree more. I don't really understand how you could mosh to most doom metal.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Wrath!

Ahhhh what a great setlist. This band is the best. I really hope they do a Canadian tour in support of Apocryphon in the near future.

Last time they were here, it was such a chill show. I was at the very front and didn't once feel pressure from people moshing or pushing to get up close. Just a fuckton of smoking, headbanging, and singing along for the entire night. Classic.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
N00B

sadly there's alot of mongoloids out there. I've seen morons mosh at Third Eye Blind show.
Mineral-9/6
Joyce Manor-9/15
Uncle Acid-9/26

Tags
gypsyhawk, the sword