Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
#Controversial

Brian's sequenced list of items pertaining to the current year that will soon be over

While I attempt to rank the 20 releases I've listened to this year and cared enough to keep on my iPod, I shall list the best shows/performances that I've seen this year in a slow and suspenseful manner with little to no payoff. After reading my end of the year manifesto, you are free to completely ignore my list to talk about that sweet new post-shoegaze stoner doom rock opera you've been getting high to with your friends.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
#Controversial

Best shows/performances of 2012

10. Disgorge

When they announced their reunion, I was hoping these guys would get added to the 2012 edition of CIM (my first and last time attending, as the fest called it a day afterwards). While the turnout for the show in Bumblefuck Nowhere, Illinois was disappointing, there were still some ridiculous performances worth mentioning in this list. Disgorge is no exception. They played second to last on Saturday right before Solstice and pretty much destroyed them in sheer power. The only thing I didn't like is that their performance was sync'd up to an iPod continuous track, so there was a few times where there was awkward waiting times between songs as they waited for the track to catch up. With a new vocalist and no bassist, Disgorge were dope as hell yo and I hope to see them again soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
#Controversial

9. Gorgasm

Another jaw dropping CIM performance. These dudes were ridiculously tight and were the highlight of Friday night. It was cool to get the chance to see them, seeing as most of their shows are 21+ and I'm 18 as hell. If you get a chance to see these guys, do it. If you aren't familiar with them, the best way I can describe them is like Dying Fetus but dirtier sounding with more old school influences
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
#Controversial

8. Dehumanized

The NYDM legends brought the slams. I wasn't aware at the time that the only original members in the band right now are the guitarist and drummer (and I think they had a fill in at the show), but the material sounded identical to their classic debut Prophecies Foretold. They gave us a preview of their now released album "Controlled Elite" with one of the songs from it, it sounded cool but I didn't really dig the new CD much. The sound is there but it's nowhere near as memorable as the first album. Check em out if you aren't familiar with them, its like Suffocation stripped of all of the technicality in exchange for awesomely catchy riffage
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
#Controversial

7. Severed Savior

The last CIM band on the list. Unbelievable set. I'm not a fan of tech death but these guys do it so fucking well, and they threw in a spot on cover of Suffocation's Thrones Of Blood. My favorite part of their set was how some songs would just eventually climax into what seemed like a complete wall of sound, with each musician displaying his abilities without turning the song into wank (like most tech death, imo). Hopefully they'll have a new album out sooner than later.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
#Controversial

6. Cloud Rat

I saw these guys/gal in a basement with Sea Of Shit and Water Torture. While I was familiar with them beforehand, I never expected them to be such a force to be reckoned with live. Their songs had so much aggression and power behind them, and the crowd was constantly moving. If you don't know em, their style is a mix of grind, black metal, and hardcore/screamo. Awesome stuff
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
#Controversial

5. Origin/Cattle Decapitation/Aborted

I saw these 3 bands on the Occupation Domination tour back in April (I think?) and they were all awesome. The first chunk of the show was fucking terrible with Battlecross and Rings of Saturn, and Decrepit Birth only got to play like 3 songs with Bill's excessive weed usage having taken a toll on his voice. The 3 I went for though were solid. It was my first time seeing Cattle and Aborted, and my first time seeing a full Origin set (had to leave two songs into their set on the Hate Eternal show) and all of them were awesome and totally worth the ticket price. Cattle's set was heavy with Monolith tracks, but seeing as that album owns that was fine by me. That last blasting/screeching section of Kingdom Of Tyrants.................

I also enjoyed Aborted bringing the bass drops, I'm not a fan of dubstep but I love a well-placed bass drop in a slam
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicbrian666 View Post
Best shows/performances of 2012

10. Disgorge

When they announced their reunion, I was hoping these guys would get added to the 2012 edition of CIM (my first and last time attending, as the fest called it a day afterwards). While the turnout for the show in Bumblefuck Nowhere, Illinois was disappointing, there were still some ridiculous performances worth mentioning in this list. Disgorge is no exception. They played second to last on Saturday right before Solstice and pretty much destroyed them in sheer power. The only thing I didn't like is that their performance was sync'd up to an iPod continuous track, so there was a few times where there was awkward waiting times between songs as they waited for the track to catch up. With a new vocalist and no bassist, Disgorge were dope as hell yo and I hope to see them again soon.
Disgorge is a band I've been wanting to see for close to 10 years now and have been missing every show. I'm still bummed I missed them play at a tiny bar near my house over the summer. There were like 20 bands on the bill and doors were at 8pm and I had to work early the next day, so I didn't want to sit around until 3am to see them do a short set. I'll hopefully see them soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
#Controversial

4. Broken Hope

The rest of this show sucked, to be honest. Obituary was dull as fuck without leads and Bill's voice has grown increasingly worse with Decrepit Birth, who also thought it would be cool to play Crystal Mountain again........Save me the fake ass speech about you seeing Chuck Schuldiner on hallucinogens for crowd reaction, please.

Broken Hope was worth the price of admission. The vibe in Reggie's during their set was just sheer chaos. The pit was continuously violent throughout their set and the band was definitely feeding off of that energy. Stoked to see them again at MDF and hopefully on other occasions next year
Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
#Controversial

3. Napalm Death/Exhumed/Vektor/Weekend Nachos/Smash Potater

I was beyond stoked for this tour when it was announced so it was a huge honor to actually be able to open it. I wish Napalm would've sounded better but it was still cool to see them and Exhumed was awesome, much better than last year's headlining set. I'm a firm believer that All Guts, No Glory is the best opener ever.

Weekend Nachos were also a lot of fun, it was cool to see them in an environment besides a basement where you couldn't hear anything. They were getting in arguments with the soundlady of that night (who was rather rude to us as well, but we were afraid to say anything), but John had no problem arguing during their set. It was awesome, and it was cool of them to send out a song to us for playing before them.

Overall it was a sweet experience as a show itself, and also helped gain my band some more fans from a different crowd.