Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

13. Corrosion of Conformity

Bill: Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, Black Cobra, Gaza
Venue: The Middle East (downstairs)
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Saturday, June 23, 2012

I used not not be a big fan of stoner/sludge stuff, but it has really grown on me in the last year or so, and now I like a good amount of stuff of that style. I wasn't really that big into any of these bands before the show, but I saw the listing on the venue's website and decided I would check it out. While listening to the bands before the show to prepare, I knew I was in for a good time. I ended up enjoying the show even more than I thought I would.

I walked in while Gaza was playing. As soon as I walked in, I could see the singer on the floor, towering over everone else. They put on a solid show, and I liked their sound even better live than I do on record. The singer seemed a little crazy, but in an awesome way. I would definitely see them again, and I'm kinda bummed I missed them a few weeks ago.

Black Cobra was up next, and they played pretty good sludge. I wasn't familiar with their songs, but they got me nodding my head along, and I liked them a lot. The crowd seemed into them, but nobody was moving around or anything. Must have been some before the show for most of the crowd haha.

Torche played next, and the place was pretty much filled up at this point. It definitely seemed like a lot of the crowd was there mostly for them. I am a big fan of their catchy, poppy stoner sound. The songs are fun but can get heavy too, which is awesome. Still not much movement from the crowd, but lots of people were headbanging and everyone was having a great time. I have gotten into them a lot more since this show, so they certainly won me over

COC headlined, and I was pretty pumped to see them. They played a good mix of their crossover stuff, their sludgy stuff, and stuff off their new album. They got the crowd moving a little bit (mostly just one guy and a couple others here and there), which was good for me because I don't like just standing around the whole show, that gets boring . Their songs sounded great live, they're another band I think I sounded even better live than on record. All the songs from throughout their career were fun to hear. Overall great show that got me into some bands I hadn't listened to that much before the show.
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM

12. Mayhem Festival

Bill (bands I saw): Slipknot, Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax
Venue: Comcast Center
City: Mansfield, MA
Date: Friday, August 3, 2012

Before I start the review, I'm gonna bash this fest a little. I really don't like these types of events, since I feel they just pick the trendiest bands and don't care about real talent (I know they are just trying to make money, but still). Plus, I feel the best metal shows are in clubs and theaters, big amphitheaters and parking lots just feel too impersonal. Lastly, the venue is WAY too pricey and there always seem to be more assholes at these bigger shows. (, I know)

Although I had my reservations, I decided to go since I am a fan of Slayer, Anthrax, and Motorhead. Also, my friend who I went with is a big Slipknot fan and had never seen them, and I had never seen Slayer, a band I HAD to see. So, I went with my brother and my friend, and we ended up having an awesome time. Going to shows with a group makes things more memorable, and we made a full day out of it, so it was a fun day.

We got there during As I Lay Dying. I don't mind them, but I have seen them before at Heavy MTL, and didn't care to see them again from far away. So, we looked at merch and got drinks and stuff, then headed over to watch Anthrax. We were still pretty far away, but I didn't mind cause I could still see the stage and hear the music (plus I wanted to stick closely to the Rockstar tent to get free drinks . They played the standard songs, but I like those songs a lot so that's okay. They didn;t really get a full "headliner" set like it seemed they would, but I was satisfied with what I saw. One of these days I gotta see them headline though.

I skipped Asking Alexandria , and headed down to the pit for Motorhead. Pit tix are expensive for Mayhem, but I had to do it for my first time seeing Slayer, and watching Motorhead from up close if fucking cool . Lemmy is the ultimate badass, and my third time seeing them was great. They played a good set, not all that oringinal, but whatever (starting with "Bomber" is awesome). Fun stuff, and I will always be happy to see Motorhead.

Up next was the highlight for me, SLAYER . My first time seeing them, and it was amazing. The stage setup was cool with the flaming logo and the inverted cross amps, and the band sounded great. They were so heavy! The setlist pretty much covered all the main songs that i would expect to hear, but it was okay for me since I hadn't heard any of them live before. I jumped in the pit a few times, which was not as big as I expected, but was stil rough since there were a few wannabe tough guys just looking to throw people around. Awesome show either way, there is a reason Slayer are such legends in the metal world.

Slipknot came on last, and I am gonna be honest, I was not really even looking forward to it. I had already seen the main event for me, and I have never really even been a big Slipknot fan. They came out to a hugely positive response from the crowd, and the stage setup had a lot going on. As I expected, I just couldn't get into them. They sounded good I guess for people who like them, but they are just not my thing. Plus, I think the Clown is one of the biggest tools in metal. My friend who likes Slipknot loved their performance though, so it's all about what you're into.

Despite the fact that I can't stand what Mayhem is (corporate metal tour extravaganza), I have had a good time the past two years I have been. Still, something felt off about it this year. I liked the bands, but the atmosphere just isn't what I'm into anymore. I just would rather see a smaller band put on a passionate performance to a small room of dedicated fans than see the most popular bands in the genre play to a massive crowd full of casual fans just there because it's the biggest, most popular metal tour right now. It is gonna take the most amazing lineup ever for me to go next year, and based on the rumors I do not see it happening at all. Sorry for my ranting, I saved it for here instead of the Mayhem Fest thread .
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Dave Meniketti > mankvill

I went to the first Mayhem Fest in 2008, skipped 09 & 10, and had tickets for both 11 & 12, but sold them both on the day of because they both ended up being the hottest fucking days of the year. My fat ass + 106 degree heat index = death. Wasn't too upset though, was only interested in Motorhead and Anthrax, and I've seen them both in much smaller venues. Do I dare ask how bad the traffic was getting to the venue & getting out of the parking lot?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
I went to the first Mayhem Fest in 2008, skipped 09 & 10, and had tickets for both 11 & 12, but sold them both on the day of because they both ended up being the hottest fucking days of the year. My fat ass + 106 degree heat index = death. Wasn't too upset though, was only interested in Motorhead and Anthrax, and I've seen them both in much smaller venues. Do I dare ask how bad the traffic was getting to the venue & getting out of the parking lot?
This year seriously wasn't even that hot It was in the mid 80's (by the time Anthrax went on it was in the low 80's) and the humidity was far from brutal. The traffic wasn't bad at all, my friends and I got stuck in a little bit of traffic getting there, but we were out of the parking lot within 10 minutes of getting back to my buddy's car after Slipknot.
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Yeah traffic wasn't too bad for me either, I'd say probably 10 or 15, MAYBE 20 minutes to get out of there. I don't remember any traffic coming in, either. 2011 Mayhem was brutally hot, and I got there right after the gates opened. ao I was in the heat pretty much all day. Getting there late this year definitely made for an easier day
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM

A number of delays, mostly due to finals week , have caused me to have no time on here. But I will be finishing this list! And I AM working on a top albums list for the year, so stay tuned for that. Next concert post comes later today, I can guarantee that!
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM

11. Skeletonwitch

Bill: Skeletonwitch, Havok, Early Graves, Razormaze
Venue: Great Scott
City: Allston, MA
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012

And here we go again! This was my third time seeing Skeletonwitch, and my first time seeing them headline. Plus, this venue was MUCH smaller than where I saw them before, so it was pretty awesome. Super intimate, super fun. Plus this was the only show I met someone from this site at this year, our very own Mastodon421 (sucks we didn't meet up at LOG, hope to see you at Wintersun! ).

Up first was a local thrash band named Razormaze. They are pretty generic, nothing special but not too bad either. They have opened the last three shows I've seen at this venue, and I think i enjoy them more each time. decent stuff, good opener for this show.

Early Graves played next, and holy shit were they better than I expected! I had listened to some of their stuff, and I liked it, but their performance was just so great. It definitely made me check them out more, and although I haven't heard their whole album yet (), what I have heard is pretty damn good. I got kicked in the eye by a stagediver, which fucking hurt and I started to see stars and get dizzy, but I was okay after a few minutes. I would love to see them again.

I spent some time talking to Mastodon421 in between the bands, and he's a pretty cool dude. It was nice to be able to talk to kill time, since I end up going to most of these club shows alone . Havok played after Early Graves. I missed some of their set when I saw them open for English Dogs, so I was excited to see a full set (full suppoet set, at least) from them. They are probably one of the better thrash revival bands, and their performance was a lot of fun. Like all the other bands, they got some pretty decent pits going.

Skeletonwitch played last, and I was so happy to see a headlining set from them. The setlist could not have been more amazing. Songs from all their albums, a good amount of songs I had not heard them play before, and all of them sounded fucking incredible . They are such a great live band, entertaining while still sounding just like their albums. I moshed for a bit in the actually pretty rough pits, and stood off to the side for a bit headbanging and watching the great show. I could not have been more pleased by their performance, and I can say this was definitely the best time I saw them. After the show, I gave Mastodon a ride home (it took us awhile but we got there!) then headed home for the night.
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM

10. New England Metal and Hardcore Festival

Bill (top bands for me): The Black Dahlia Murder, Nile, Skeletonwitch, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Cruel Hand, Bane, Overkill, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage
Venue: The Palladium
City: Worcester, MA
Date: Friday, April 20 (), 2012, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Sunday, April 22, 2012

Let me start off by saying I fucked up big time on hardcore bands at this fest. I didn't really know many at the time, so I stuck to metal. Although I am a metal guy at heart, I could have squeezed in a few hardcore bands here that I now know are awesome. Awesome feat either way, and I'm so glad I did the three day pass.

Since this is a 3 day fest, I'm just gonna do a VERY brief review of each day. The first day featured the heaviest lineup of all 3 days, with more death metal bands than any other day. Going into it, I was most punped for this day. I saw Fleshgod Apocalypse, who played a super short set, but were great. Skeletonwitch ruled as always, and my first time seeing Nile was fucking amazing, so heavy . The headliner was The Black Dahlia Murder, who I am not in love with, but they are pretty good and are super fun live. Awesome first day to the fest.

Day 2 was a much more diverse lineup. I got there really early and watched Diamond Plate, Hung, Huntress, God Forbid, and Holy Grail. Okay stuff, but none of the bands blew me away really. I had some time to kill before Unearth (yes, I skipped Periphery and Iwrestledabearonce, I don't like either, sorry Periphery fans), so i went upstairs to the hardcore stage. I watched Shipwreck, who were kinda boring to me, then came on Cruel Hand. Wow. I didn;t even really know them before the fest, but they were THE surprise of the weekend for me, so much fun and I have gotten into them a lot since then. Unearth was pretty cool, and Bane was cool too ( I liked em better though when I saw them with Terror). Overkill fucking owned, and Dragonforce sucked, total disaster . All That Remains headlined, and although I don't really listen to them anymore, the performance was fun, the crowd went nuts, and I was reliving high school a little bit hearing some of those songs haha. I feel like if I saw them again though, it would be a lot less specail and would probably not be good at all.

Day 3 was short for me, since it was mostly deathcore bands I don't care about. I got there during For Today, who bored me. I watched Emmure and Vanna from the balcony, and both were really bad. I thought Emmure would at least be a joke, but it was just painful. Every Time I Die was okay, I've just never gotten into them for some reason. The headliner was Killswitch Engage. This was their big comeback show, their first back with Jesse Leach singing again. Although i liked Howard, the change is exactly what this band needed. I was on the floor for the whole performance, and it was AMAZING. The energy in the room was incredible, you would have to be there to understand it. They played a great set, and I spent the entire time moving, headbanging, singing, and holding up crowdsurfers. The crowd was ridiculous for the show, it was so awesome. Somehow it took me till this year to make it to NEMHF, and I must say it was a really great weekend. The only real reason it wasn't higher is because I saw so many other great shows this year. Plus, none of my real favorite bands played, it was just a bunch of bands I like, plus a lot that were just okay. I know this was long , but I had a lot to say about this great fest .
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM

9. Suffocation

Bill: Suffocation, Totality, Sexrement, Abnormality, Scaphism
Venue: The Middle East (downstairs)
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Sunday, November 11, 2012

If you haven't noticed, this is my third show on this list at the Middle East, and I still have 2 more after this. All kinds of awesome stuff happening here this year, and it's an awesome venue in a cool area, so good times for me. I won't do too long of a review, since I wrote a full review here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21789.

This was a cool show because it brought the mighty SUFFOCATION to a pretty intimate venue, and it had some pretty good local openers, so I thought that was pretty cool. Scaphism was playing when I walked in, and they were okay, nothing special, but not bad brutal death metal.

Abnormality came on next, and they were awesome. Great brutal death metal, and one of my favorite local bands. They really got the crowd going too. I need to see them again soon.

Sexcrement came on next, and Boston's own sleazy fucks put on a good show. Groovy death metal, not the best but fun either way. They had a dancer on stage who stripped down to almost being naked by the end of the set .

Totality played after them, and I wasn't a big fan. They were the only band I couldn't get into. They were just kind of boring, death metal/deathcore. People enjoyed them, but it just wasn't my thing.

Lastly was fucking Suffocation . As always, they sound so intense live. Frank Mullen is the man, and he did his usual awesome rants in between the crushing songs. I was right near the front the whole time, and I just had so much fun. All three times I have seen them have been awesome, but this may have been the best. Such an awesome show all around.
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM

8. In Flames

Bill: In Flames, Trivium, Veil of Maya, Kyng
Venue: The Palladium
City: Worcester, MA
Date: Friday, February 17, 2012

Okay, I know a lot of people don't like In Flames but I still do. I will admit that the new stuff is nothing compared to the old stuff, but they are one of the bands that got me into extreme metal so I will always love them. I was still sick with pneumonia for this show , but somehow it all seemed to go away for this show. I felt great, even though I lost my breath a couple times and coughed a lot. I think I was just feeding off the energy of the band and the crowd.

Kyng came on first. They play hard rock/stoner rock that isn't all that original, but it's pretty good. They sounded good and I liked their performance. I won't say i loved it, but they were a good enough opening act, even though they were kind of out of place.

Veil of Maya was up next, and all the deathcore bros hit the floor for them. I am just not a fan of their sound, and I couldn't get into them one bit. Whatever though, I wasn't there to see them.

Trivium played next, for what was basically a co-headliner (even though IF came on last each night and played longer). I am not a Trivium fan by any means, but I did have fun during their set. The crowd was into them, and they had a good pit going, which I spent much of the set in. I still don't realy listen to them, but they were good enough.

In Flames came on last. As expected, the setlist had few olod songs, and was dominated by material form Sounds of a Playground Fading. I still loved every minute of it. They sounded great, and Anders is a great frontman. he knows how to work the crowd and get everyone into it, and even is pretty funny onstage. The pits were constant, and I spent most of my time in them, even crowdsurfing once, which I almost never do. Hearing songs like "The Hive" and "Swim" was just . I saw them at Mayhem 2011 and again recently with LOG, but I think this was the best time yet. Great crowd, great energy, full headlining set, just an amazing show for me.
7/21 Badr Vogu
8/4 Long Knife
8/23 Tercer Mundo