Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I only have 3 more albums to do but once I finish that I'll do a review of my biggest disappointment of the year, a short ranking of the shows for this year, and maybe a short ranking of the best single songs of the year.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 AM

I need some more time to soak in my last 3 albums (although one is just a greatest hits but it has two new tracks on it so I'll review it anyways) so I'm gonna go ahead and do my biggest disappointment of 2012.

Album #0: Steve Harris - British Lion
September 24, 2012

Steve is my favorite musician and my personal hero but this album sucks. I hate to have to say that because I was stoked to hear him do something that was outside of his usual Maiden style. After listening to the online stream for this album maybe three or four times through, I decided to not even buy it.

I think the biggest problem here is that the players he's surrounded himself with are noticeably mediocre. The vocalist definitely fits that description. His vocals have no power and no emotion. They're just flat, stale, and uninteresting. I probably would have preferred that the songs just be instrumentals. But he isn't the only problem, it just seems like nothing stands out on this album. There are a few decent choruses, and even some ok songs but it all ends up feeling pretty bland.

I was listening to an internet stream so the quality wasn't as good as it could have been but I didn't really notice any bass playing that stood out to me. Just seemed to go along with the song without breaking out of the box and really shredding. I was at least hoping for some cool bass solos a la Blood on The Worlds Hands or The Clairvoyant or something. There are a few decent tracks such as This Is My God, Lost Worlds, and A World Without Heaven. Tracks like Eyes of the Young and Karma Killer just freakin suck and the rest is ho-hum.

A letdown. I hope a future Steve Harris solo album sees Steve releasing new tracks written by him, not decades old songs co-written by nobodys with very limited chops.

4.5/10
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM

I'll do my show rankings of 2012 now. I've seen so many shows that it's impossible to rank them numerically but I'll group them into tiers. I didn't go to any bad shows, they were all awesome. So the highest tiers will be pretty stacked but oh well.

Tier 1: God tier

Tool @ Hampton Coliseum Hampton, VA February 3rd 2012
Iron Maiden / Alice Cooper @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater Charlotte, NC June 21st 2012
Iron Maiden / Alice Cooper @ Aarons Amphitheater Lakewood, GA June 23rd 2012
Iron Maiden / Alice Cooper @ Susquehanna Bank Center Camden, NJ June 29th 2012
Iron Maiden / Alice Cooper @ Jiffy Lube Live Bristow, VA June 30th 2012
Scorpions @ Merriweather Post Pavilion Columbia, MD July 12th 2012
System of a Down @ Verizon Center Washington D.C. August 7th 2012
Rush @ Jiffy Lube Live Bristow, VA September 9th 2012
Megadeth @ The Fillmore Charlotte, NC November 25th 2012

Tier 2: Excellent

Anthrax / Testament @ Rams Head Live Baltimore, MD February 7th 2012
Mastodon / Ghost @ The Fillmore Silver Spring, MD May 9th 2012
Rob Zombie / Megadeth @ Merriweather Post Pavilion Columbia, MD May 12th 2012
Roger Waters @ PNC Arena Raleigh, NC July 9th 2012
Agalloch @ Empire Springfield, VA July 28th 2012

Tier 3: Really good

Lamb of God @ The National Richmond, VA January 22nd 2012
Kiss / Motley Crue @ Farm Bureau Live Virginia Beach, VA July 21st 2012
Ian Anderson @ Ferguson Center For the Arts Newport News, VA October 1st 2012

I'd say my least favorite show of the year was LOG because I was sick and because I'm not a huge fan, I mostly just went because it was cheap and because my friends were going and because I'm a casual fan. If I had to choose a favorite show I'd probably pick Iron Maiden / Alice Cooper in Charlotte because it was the first night of the tour and the atmosphere was electric. Not knowing the setlist was really cool and I just about lost my mind when they did stuff like Moonchild, The Prisoner, Seventh Son, ATSS, etc.

Oh, and I had tried to buy a pit ticket with no luck since February. I probably checked Live Nation at least 500 times between presale and the day before the show but no dice. Thankfully my girlfriend's brother-in-law who I was staying with has a degree in digital multimedia or something so he's a photoshop pro. The feeling of complete relief was unbeatable when I got on the rail with my lawn ticket redesigned to say pit.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM

This is a quick rundown of my top 10 songs of the year. I didnt put too much thought into this, its just for fun. I tried to leave it at a maximum of 2 songs per band.

1. Rush The Wreckers

A fantastic song with an insanely catchy chorus. The lyrics are great, the melodies are awesome, and it came off superb live as well. My favorite song of the year.

2. Testament Cold Embrace
I love the fact that they did something different for this song. Chuck sounds great and this is probably my favorite song off the album. I wish theyd do it live.

3. Gojira Liquid Fire
A really technical track. I love the robot vocals.

4. Soundgarden Live To Rise

This song is catchy as hell and has more of a metallic feel to it than most of King Animal. I would have liked to have a few more tracks in the vein of this one on the album.

5. Iron Maiden The Talisman (Live)
Phenominal live version, Bruce just nails this song. Im so glad I got to see this along with the other Final Frontier tracks in Florida. I doubt theyll ever do this one or When The Wild Wind Blows again and they were easily the highlights of the night.

6. Rush - Seven Cities of Gold
The bass intro is sweet and the chorus is great. I saw the live debut of this song and it was awesome.

7. Testament Native Blood

Catchy, riffy, and great.

8. Kiss Freak
This is just really catchy. Id like to hear them do this one live and I think itd go over well.

9. Carrie Underwood Blown Away

A great sounding track vocally and easily the best off the album.

10. Rush - Headlong Flight

A great single from an even better album. Its heavy, its technical, its got cool lyrics. Its just an all-around great song.

11. Gojira LEnfant Sauvage

Another great song from the new Gojira album. Id say theyre the best modern extreme metal band there is.

12. Blaze Bayley Dimebag
The best song off the album. The lyrics seem pretty cheesy if you just read them but in the context of the song theyre not bad. The vocals here are really good and this song has some of the better instrumentation on the album.

13. Black Country Communion Big Train
A really strong and catchy opener. My favorite song on the album.

14. Soundgarden Rowing
This song is kinda weird but I really like it. The lyrics are awesome and Chris sounds really good.

15. Lamb of God Ghost Walking

Love the intro and the rest of the song is nice and heavy.

Final three albums and the final top 10 list coming next.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Album #15: Black Country Communion Afterglow
October 29, 2012

Its starting to look like this could be the last album from this classic rock super group. That would be a shame but at least theyve given us 3 albums worth of great material within a very short span of time. The new one, Afterglow, may not be as good as its predecessor, 2, but its a very strong release. It feels less intense than the previous album with more of the songs being mid-tempo and bluesy. Opener Big Train may be the heaviest track on the album and the best overall in my opinion. The tracks that follow are noticeably Hughes-heavy.

Bonamassa doesnt share vocals duties nearly as much on this album as on others. In fact, if I dont pay too much attention I can get through the whole album and almost not notice Joes presence at all. I think this speaks towards the tensions in the band between him and the rest of the guys. The final track, Crawl, is a bit heavier and a strong ender.

One of the better albums of the year and a record that proves that this group could carry on if Joe decided to leave, something that wouldnt surprise me much at this point. It gets an 8.3.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Album #16: Soundgarden King Animal
November 12, 2012

One of my favorite albums from this year, Im having trouble deciding whether it will get the 3rd or 4th spot on my final top 10. I dont need to go through all the circumstances surrounding this album because youve heard them all. I know that a lot of folks were disappointed in this release but I found it to be a strong release, albeit somewhat different to what I was expecting. I figured that more of the songs would be in the somewhat metallic vein of the single they released earlier in the year for the Avengers movie. I love that song so I was a little disappointed on first listen when I didnt hear much of anything that was similar to that on this album. However, the more I listened the more I began to enjoy this record for its own merits.

The first three songs are really solid hard rock songs that are pretty simple but really enjoyable. Blood on the Valley Floor, Eyelids Mouth, and Bones of Birds feel a little more experimental and are pretty cool. Taree is one of the best tracks on the album along with the weird, almost industrial, sounding Rowing. Worse Dreams is another cool rocker that sounds the most similar to Live To Rise. Halfway There is pretty mellow for Soundgarden but I love it, especially the lyrics. The only songs Im not crazy about are Black Saturday and A Thousand Days Before.

Its not quite what I was expecting but this has become one of my favorite albums of the year and Im really looking forward to seeing Soundgarden live for the first time and hearing some of these tracks this January.

Only one more album to review and it's just a best-of with two new songs on it but I'll do it anyways.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Album #17: The Rolling Stones GRRR!
November 12, 2012

There are only two new songs on this best-of collection, Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. However, this is the first Stones album Ive ever bought as Im interested in them but not enough to want to own a bunch of different albums. So a 50-track greatest hits is enough to satisfy me. Im not a huge fan of the really early stuff on the first disc; its a little boring and a little samey. I Cant Get No Satisfaction is pretty overrated while Little Red Rooster and Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, fucking suck. My favorite tracks on this disc are Get Off Of My Cloud, Under My Thumb and Ruby Tuesday. Paint It Black is good but its kinda overrated too.

The next disc is a lot more consistent. Almost all these songs range from very good to awesome but my favorites include: Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Sympathy For The Devil, Fool To Cry, and You Cants Always Get What You Want.

I didnt know what Id be getting into on the third disc with the latter material; however I enjoy most of it a lot. I listen to disc 2 and 3 a lot more frequently than I listen to the first disc. My two favorites here are Start Me Up and Highwire.

On to the two new songs, Doom and Gloom is the better of the two with a nice, up-tempo groove and cool lyrics. One More Shot is good but not quite as good. Jagger sounds better than I would expect him to at his age.

Ive never listened to much Stones before this but I enjoy this record when the mood strikes me. The cover kicks ass as well (thats actually what made me wanna check it out). Id give the collection an 8.9 and the two 2012 songs a 7.6.

Besides Led Zeppelins Celebration Day (which I hope I get for Christmas) thats all the releases from 2012 that Ive heard enough of to review.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Final top 10 of 2012 with the spaces where I feel there is a noticeable gap between how much I enjoy them:

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
3. Soundgarden - King Animal
4. Gojira - Le'Enfant Sauvage

5. Black Country Communion - Afterglow
6. Kiss - Monster
7. Blaze Bayley - The King of Metal

8. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
9. Ian Anderson - Thick As a Brick II
10. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

So there it is, let the lively discussion commence.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout
Madness and Sorrow was a giant step up from The Man Who Would Not Die.
I know I am not the biggest Blaze fan out there but am I missing something here? What is Madness & Sorrow? Do you mean Promise & Terror?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I didn't catch that until now. Madness and Sorrow is a track from the album.
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac