Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Do it!
THIS

Hey nat if it makes you feel better. I still need to finish my hip hop list which i started back november of 2011, Daimonos has two doom threads that he needs to finish up, and HB420 also has a couple of Doom lists that he's holding back on.. So you're not alone good sir
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

^ I have some damn better excuses than any of you chumps, too.

...and @ The Other Nat: while I'm inclined to agree, 2012 produced some rather wicked albums as well - especially if you're a doom fan (but that's a separate thread ).
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Yes, finish!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

illumiNATus agrees, this year has produced some damn wicked doom. But no more than last year in my opinion.

Doom on.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM

So buckle up because here we go (again), bitches.

13. Disma - Towards the Megalith

Yeah, this is one of the heaviest death metal albums ever made. Period. It's fucking ridiculous, that's what it is. I mean, when an an album comes along in a genre that's already known for being ultra heavy almost all the time, and it's listened to by someone who has been listening to the heaviest of the genre for a quarter of a century, and it makes that person say, "holy fucking shitballs, that is heavy," then that's when you know you're talking about some heavy ass shit. Seriously. Not sure what else to say here. This album scares me. I like it a lot. I would recommend it to you, but it would probably just make you cry for your mommy - so just move along.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-07-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

12. Altar of Plagues - Mammal

I have to admit that this album is the only exposure I've had to this band to date, but based on the high level of quality on display here, I will be checking out the rest of this band's catalog soon. This atmospheric blackened post-metal band from Cork, Ireland has created a real masterpiece here. This album is at times beautiful, at times scary, and always interesting. Lots of bands attempt to bend genres like this, especially black and post-metal, but these guys make it work like a charm, and they make it look easy. It's not. What's easy is to cram some elements of both genres together and to turn the crank on the meat grinder, being satisfied with whatever the fuck comes out the opposite end, but these guys have made something really beautiful here. The music is as atmospheric as it is punishing, and the more I listen, the more I find to love. Great stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

That album was very good. Can't believe I'd nearly forgotten about it now.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM

11. Moonlit Sailor - Colors in Stereo

When I first listened to the song "Hope" on this Swedish post-rock quartet's sophomore album "So Close to Life", I almost fucking cried. Literally. Not virtually, which is what many folks mean when they say the word "literally", but literally. It moved me that much. It's such a triumphant, beautiful and uplifting song. Little did I know back then that this band probably has hundreds of songs just like that in them. This album busts out another ten gems and unleashes them upon the world, and while every single track on here may not be quite as good as the aforementioned "Hope", many of them come damn close. There is a blurb on the band's web site under the description for this album that reads, "If you don't find it difficult to listen without being overwhelmed with emotion, you're not listening." Indeed. I dare you to listen to this album and be in a genuinely bad mood afterward. It simply can't be done. This music is transformative. It changes you. It affects you deeply, and in the most positive way. In truth, this album should probably be top ten material for sure, but in a year with so many ridiculously good albums (especially in this genre), the first runner-up spot ain't too shabby.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
That album was very good. Can't believe I'd nearly forgotten about it now.
Damn straight. That's exactly why I waited this long to finish my list. As the late, great Heath Ledger once said, "It's all part of the plan."

....at least that's my story, and for now I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM

Top ten time, you low-life scumbags.

10. Grayceon - All We Destroy

Before I launch into this first review of my top ten, I have to be honest. I fucking love this band, and I always have. So, while it's fair to say that it would be hard to imagine me not liking one of their releases, I have to admit that at first listen, I wasn't too sure about some of the songs on this album. I mean, certain tracks such as "Shellmounds" and "A Road Less Traveled" were instant hits in my book, but songs such as "Dreamer Deceived" and "Once a Shadow" took a bit longer to fully embrace. After spending sometime with this incredible album, however, I can honestly say I love every track. It's true, I love some more than others - for example, the ridiculously epic "We Can" is a stone cold fucking classic - but they're all fantastic in their own way. If you've never listened to this band, this album is as good a place to start as any, although I'd probably suggest starting at the beginning of their three-album catalog and moving forward, for the sake of listening to the band's progression over time if nothing else. For example, cellist Jackie Perez Gratz continues to challenge herself vocally with each new release, and she rises to the occasion every time. Drummer Zack Farwell continues to propel this excellent band forward rhythmically with his extremely precise skin work, and guitarist Max Doyle keeps making it look easy by blending seamlessly with Jackie's cello work in a way that's almost organic. In short, this album may only be the band's third, but on it, they demonstrate coherence, synergy and chemistry that bands with twice as many albums are still trying to achieve.