When All Is Said and Done
Scum
Life?
The Kill
Deceiver
You Suffer
Smear Campaign
Mass Appeal Madness
Nazi Punks Fuck Off (Dead Kennedys cover)
Siege of Power

Ahh yes, haven't done one of these in awhile...

Truth be told.. i haven't done a review in a cool minute, and i thought it would be nice to take a trip back down to memory lane. Sunday May 3rd 2009. This was my first time seeing Napalm Death and it was seriously one of the best shows that I have ever seen. Napalm Death was loud, heavy as hell, and i was standing right under Mitch's sweaty chin through out their incredible performance. Mitch was a beast on the guitar and he was just shredding away as i was head banging like a maniac right under his chinny chin chin. Barney was a beast on the mic, and a gentlemen outside the mic, but will get into that later(EPIC MOMENT)... One thing i love about this venue is it had no barricades or security from blocking you so I was right next to the band! I was practically patting mitch through out their performance(NO HOMOE). I don't really remember much from this show since it was almost four years ago. A couple of things that i do remember about this show was that it was only twenty bucks a ticket ahaha, There was a couple of shitty local openers, and katalysim was direct support and they were pretty sweet as well. Napalm Death came on at exactly twelve in the morning and fucking tore the house down with a really great setlist containing some of my all time favorites. The best part of the night was when after the show was over the band had left the stage, but a couple minutes later BARNEY comes back out walking around the stage just minding his own biz when all of a sudden I start yelling out his name repeatedly, and very fucking loud. Barney looks right at me, right directly into my eye sockets and I ask him very nicely for the water bottle and setlist that is next to his feet on stage. Barney immediatley hops off stage and hands me the setlist, as well as the cold frosty un-opened water bottle. My friends and I as well as a couple of other fans start chatting it up with barney and tell him how much of a legend he is for a good fifteen-twenty minutes. It was fucking amazing and a very epic moment that i will never forget, not to mention a great way to end what was already a great show that i will never forget. By this time it was about half past one in the morning and I was in an empty little venue with one of my very good friends, and two other fans just hanging out with Barney from Napalm Death. It felt very special and somewhat intimate especially since it was just the four of us in that empty little venue. He signed my water bottle as well as setlist, and he also signed my friends parking ticket. He really appreciated the kind words and told us that they would not be back for awhile as they would be embarking on a huge european tour in the coming weeks. This was put simply...one of the best shows ever. The best part of the set was when they busted out Siege of power to close the show out, fucking epic way to go out... I still have the set list and water bottle that he signed for me almost four years ago.

The reason i also posted this random yet amazing show was because of a recent napalm death show that i attended not too long ago in november of this year. You could say it kind of inspired me... This was my second time seeing napalm death but unfortunately this time around it was plagued with shitty horrific sound, a short set missing so many great tunes turned to an even more short setlist with horrible sound, and Napalm Death didn't headline either. I still had a great time but I was pretty disappointed in the overall sound especially after being blown away by their stellar performance in 2009 at the key club in hollywood. At the hollywood show in 2009 i remember mitches guitar tone being fucking heavy as hell and just crushing me to the floor. Sadly at this most recent show his guitar was so fucked up that by the time suffer the children came i just couldn't really hear what the fuck was going on, it was a bit frustrating, also i didn't like the venue and the fact that they had a barricade blocking you from being anywhere near the band, where as at the 2009 show in hollywood there was no barricade and i was right under mitch's sweaty chin going all out. The most disappointing part though was my expectations being so high after being blown away by their godly performance back in 09', barney was still a monster on the mic which was a big plus but goddamn i'd be lying if i said i was getting pissed that i couldn't hear Mitches guitar very well in the mix, especially during the last songs... Also the band just kinda boned out after the last song was finished and over with, with a half assed "good bye" before abandoning the stage. It was a lot different compared to hanging out with Barney in 2009 in a super empty music room with just three other people in there at 1:30 in the morning getting autographs signed...

Well, there's my two cents. Long time no see folks, good to be back, BUT FOR HOW LONG?!?!

end of rant
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 12-05-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Awesome show! If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust and Progeria open?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Awesome show! If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust and Progeria open?
Yup, but you're missing the best of them all... Coliseum. Goddamn they were so horrible.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I saw the same tour in Toronto a few weeks later. Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust, Colisium (sp?) and Trap Them opened. It was a really good show but they played the Opera House in Toronto and it was (unfortunatly) maybe 1/3 full at best. More people were there for Kataklsym and left afterwards. I think it was the exact same setlist. But I don't remember if they played Smear Campaign, I only remember ever seeing them play one song off that album, When All is Said and Done. But I also remember some horrid clean vocals from Barney, so maybe they did play that song. I love Napalm Death but Barneys' clean vocals live are terrible.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
Yup, but you're missing the best of them all... Coliseum. Goddamn they were so horrible.
Wasn't the show on a Sunday? I think I had to close that night and got off at 9:15 and headed straight to the show after work. I remember getting there right when Kataklysm started Like Angels Weeping. It was perfect since that was the only song I like by them haha
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I saw the same tour in Toronto a few weeks later. Kataklysm, Toxic Holocaust, Colisium (sp?) and Trap Them opened. It was a really good show but they played the Opera House in Toronto and it was (unfortunatly) maybe 1/3 full at best. More people were there for Kataklsym and left afterwards. I think it was the exact same setlist.
Our show didn't have a very great turn out either. I kind of liked that because it gave me the perfect opportunity to be right next to the band and rock out right next to Mitch through out his performance. At the most recent napalm death show with municipal waste it was so goddamn packed and by the time it was mid set i JUST Wanted to get the fuck out of the floor because it was becoming impossible for to breath and move, so goddamn packed. But i'm pretty sure the only reason the show was super packed was because of the line up because napalm death wasn't even close to what you would call "filled" when i saw them four years before this show.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Yes, the next time they played Toronto it was a much smaller venue and it was still only maybe 3/4 full. That made me sad, that such a legendary, awesome band was playing to no one. When all these bands that suck and are only around for five years pack large venues. But, at the same time like you said, to see Napalm Death and basically be three feet from them destroying everything is so awesome. I just hope they make money touring because they don't deserve to be in the red.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard in Black 666 View Post
Our show didn't have a very great turn out either. I kind of liked that because it gave me the perfect opportunity to be right next to the band and rock out right next to Mitch through out his performance. At the most recent napalm death show with municipal waste it was so goddamn packed and by the time it was mid set i JUST Wanted to get the fuck out of the floor because it was becoming impossible for to breath and move, so goddamn packed. But i'm pretty sure the only reason the show was super packed was because of the line up because napalm death wasn't even close to what you would call "filled" when i saw them four years before this show.
I thought the show sold out? My friend went to get a ticket at the window but couldn't. Anyways, I'll never forget that night. I remember standing outside the Key Club after the show and almost seeing Shane die. Remember that cross walk from the Key Club to the tattoo place? Well Shane was crossing there after the show, and some guy drove down Sunset at 100 mph and literally tore the shirt out of the guys hand that was walking right next to Shane. The car came withing a foot of them.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Wasn't the show on a Sunday? I think I had to close that night and got off at 9:15 and headed straight to the show after work. I remember getting there right when Kataklysm started Like Angels Weeping. It was perfect since that was the only song I like by them haha
Yeah it was on a sunday. I remember because i had an epic two day concert fest in hollywood that week. First i went to go see kreator with Exodus at the house of blues in hollywood on may 2nd, and then i went back to hollywood may 3rd to see napalm death shah. The best part about those two days is that I didn't drive at neither never trips to hollywood. Although the night we saw kreator it kinda got ugly because our friend got his car towed while we were in the show because his dumb ass parked in a place that needs permits so we spent from 1 am - 4 am trying to hunt and get our friends car back out, we eventually got back safely to our homes by five in the morning. Wasn't very fun, oh and the show was not even close to awesomeness or intensity of napalm death. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast at kreator but napalm death the very next night just blew me away on another level. Was a very exhausting two days to say the least. ahahah but yes, to answer your question yes it was on a sunday my friend.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Yes, the next time they played Toronto it was a much smaller venue and it was still only maybe 3/4 full. That made me sad, that such a legendary, awesome band was playing to no one. When all these bands that suck and are only around for five years pack large venues. But, at the same time like you said, to see Napalm Death and basically be three feet from them destroying everything is so awesome. I just hope they make money touring because they don't deserve to be in the red.
Its just how grindcore is. If Repulsion was to play that same venue that ND filled 3/4 way, I think it would be filled maybe 1/3 of the way. It's always been an underground genre no matter how amazing the bands are.

Tags
napalm death