Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Better yet, don't listen to the radio. Although I hate it when the same crappy songs are forced down your throat on TV, in movies, in stores, etc when it's a lot harder to get away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
I'm sure you have tons of smart alec answers to this,but no matter what you or anybody says I'll always believe hair metal is still alive.
This is the greatest sentence ever.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Better yet, don't listen to the radio. Although I hate it when the same crappy songs are forced down your throat on TV, in movies, in stores, etc when it's a lot harder to get away from.

This is the greatest sentence ever.
I don't listen to top 40 radio when I can,but I'm in a family who does so It's harder to get away from.

And thank you
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
When people say that Nirvana killed hair metal they mean it in the context that hair metal was the 'big thing' in rock at the time. Grunge introduced the average listener to a heavier sound than had ever been popular in the mainstream. The more heavily distorted guitar and less intelligible vocal delivery were new things to 'mainstream' or 'radio rock'. Sure, it's not like everyone who was into hair and glam metal stopped listening to it or attending concerts, but the total dominance of it as the primary form of modern rock music on MTV and radio of that era was coming to a close. So it's not so much that grunge killed off hair metal, it just began to signal a change in the style of popular rock music.

My only question would be: what new hair metal bands are finding success in the underground?
The weird thing is, if Nirvana started up now instead of back in the 90s, they would still be just as jarring. Modern rock needs another kick in the teeth like it got back in 1991.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
The weird thing is, if Nirvana started up now instead of back in the 90s, they would still be just as jarring. Modern rock needs another kick in the teeth like it got back in 1991.
Nah, they'd sound like most rock bands nowadays. Hell they'd probably get called a second rate Nickelback.

Last edited by JRA; 12-04-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Nah. Even the "heavier" modern rock bands these days are too over-produced and tidy to have any real bite.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Except wasn't that the reason Nevermind got big (and subsequently why Kurt would come to hate it)? Because it was too well-produced? I mean you said it yourself. In Utero is the better album but Nevermind is the one most people associate with the band, presumably because the producer wanted to clean it up and make it sound like a pop record?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Except wasn't that the reason Nevermind got big (and subsequently why Kurt would come to hate it)? Because it was too well-produced? I mean you said it yourself. In Utero is the better album but Nevermind is the one most people associate with the band, presumably because the producer wanted to clean it up and make it sound like a pop record?
But he's talking about Nirvana in general. Nevermind is only 1 out of their 3 studio albums.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM

I guess it depends on your definition of "overproduced," but I would disagree. Nevermind and In Utero sound good, but the songs are still raw and messy. Modern rock now is impeccably played, over-compressed and digital-sounding.

I'm really talking more about In Utero, though. They were at the peak of their popularity, but instead of pushing things towards a slicker product, they were writing stuff like "Milk It" and "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter." I mean, their mind set is pretty well spelled-out in the title of that last one

Last edited by powerslave_85; 12-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
not the mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Seriously I'm pretty sure "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye was my most listened to song this year just by going out.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Exclamation

This is not a good thread.