Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

  #41  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 AM
dcmetal108's Avatar
dcmetal108 dcmetal108 is offline
though the vocals can be a little to extreme for me some times
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,904
See I like Volbeat but I can agree with Zach about Black Veil Brides. They make wanna be AFI music and are some of the biggest assholes I've seen just based on their performance on Golden God Awards last year.
__________________
www.apocalypticdemise.com
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Somewhere in the ballpark of 1,000,000 albums are released a year and most of you probably hear somewhere around 20 of them so please don't pretend you have anything resembling a valid opinion about your least favorite bands. You haven't heard your least favorite band, because they're opening the bill at a four-band local metalcore show in Hamilton, Ontario.
Good to know Maiden33 has been replaced as the resident downer of the board!
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
MetalIsArt's Avatar
MetalIsArt MetalIsArt is offline
Long live Ronnie James Dio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dendermonde, Flanders
Posts: 2,322
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Good to know Maiden33 has been replaced as the resident downer of the board!
Interesting fact: they both have maiden in their nickname...
__________________
Jump in the fire

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Good to know Maiden33 has been replaced as the resident downer of the board!
__________________
5/3 letlive.
5/16 Mastodon
6/21 Fall Out Boy
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
TheWildAndTheYoung's Avatar
TheWildAndTheYoung TheWildAndTheYoung is offline
Hunting High And Low
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahaha

And yes, they (and grunge in general) absolutely killed hair metal. Very thoroughly. And the world was better for it.
Of course you don't believe me,since you hate hair metal.Anyway,if Nirvana killed hair metal so badly,then why was it that the following year that Nevermind was released Def Leppard released Adrenalize that had four top 40 hits?why did FireHouse have a top 40 hit in 1995?why are there many hair bands still around today,some of the them still playing arenas?why are there many new hair bands having great success in the underground?some new hair bands are actually scoring top 40 hits in other countries outside of America.I'm sure you have tons of smart alec answers to this,but no matter what you or anybody says I'll always believe hair metal is still alive.
__________________
4/25-26 - M3 Rock Festival
5/24 - Styx/Foreigner
5/30 - Journey/Steve Miller Band
8/14 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
TheWildAndTheYoung's Avatar
TheWildAndTheYoung TheWildAndTheYoung is offline
Hunting High And Low
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,648
other artist I forgot about that aren't metal/rock are Lady Gaga,Adele,Maroon 5,Katy Perry,and Taylor Swift.Lady Gaga is just weird,that's all I got to say about her,Adele might have a lot of talent,but her songs have been played to the dirt so much that I just cannot stand her,not much I need to say about Maroon 5 except they are rockstar-wannabes,and Taylor Swift was guilty pleasure for me when she released her first country pop album,but now she is just a pure pop artist and just keeps writing about the same stuff for every song she has,and its annoying.
__________________
4/25-26 - M3 Rock Festival
5/24 - Styx/Foreigner
5/30 - Journey/Steve Miller Band
8/14 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
smearCampaign's Avatar
smearCampaign smearCampaign is offline
...the dead are among us!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Of course you don't believe me,since you hate hair metal.Anyway,if Nirvana killed hair metal so badly,then why was it that the following year that Nevermind was released Def Leppard released Adrenalize that had four top 40 hits?why did FireHouse have a top 40 hit in 1995?why are there many hair bands still around today,some of the them still playing arenas?why are there many new hair bands having great success in the underground?some new hair bands are actually scoring top 40 hits in other countries outside of America.I'm sure you have tons of smart alec answers to this,but no matter what you or anybody says I'll always believe hair metal is still alive.
When people say that Nirvana killed hair metal they mean it in the context that hair metal was the 'big thing' in rock at the time. Grunge introduced the average listener to a heavier sound than had ever been popular in the mainstream. The more heavily distorted guitar and less intelligible vocal delivery were new things to 'mainstream' or 'radio rock'. Sure, it's not like everyone who was into hair and glam metal stopped listening to it or attending concerts, but the total dominance of it as the primary form of modern rock music on MTV and radio of that era was coming to a close. So it's not so much that grunge killed off hair metal, it just began to signal a change in the style of popular rock music.

My only question would be: what new hair metal bands are finding success in the underground?
__________________
4/24 - Godflesh
5/10 - Disma
5/18 - Deathhammer
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
TheWildAndTheYoung's Avatar
TheWildAndTheYoung TheWildAndTheYoung is offline
Hunting High And Low
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
When people say that Nirvana killed hair metal they mean it in the context that hair metal was the 'big thing' in rock at the time. Grunge introduced the average listener to a heavier sound than had ever been popular in the mainstream. The more heavily distorted guitar and less intelligible vocal delivery were new things to 'mainstream' or 'radio rock'. Sure, it's not like everyone who was into hair and glam metal stopped listening to it or attending concerts, but the total dominance of it as the primary form of modern rock music on MTV and radio of that era was coming to a close. So it's not so much that grunge killed off hair metal, it just began to signal a change in the style of popular rock music.

My only question would be: what new hair metal bands are finding success in the underground?
Crashdiet,Hardcore Superstar,Crazy Lixx,etc.,they're big in Sweden,but have a huge fan base,even in America.Of course there is Steel Panther,but they aren't really underground.
__________________
4/25-26 - M3 Rock Festival
5/24 - Styx/Foreigner
5/30 - Journey/Steve Miller Band
8/14 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
dcmetal108's Avatar
dcmetal108 dcmetal108 is offline
though the vocals can be a little to extreme for me some times
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,904
I never got why people say they hate a band just because they play their songs on the radio a lot.

That's saying like oh I hate pizza because I eat it twice a week.
__________________
www.apocalypticdemise.com
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is online now
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,966
Seriously. If you hate hearing a song on the radio, turn the fucking radio off.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008