Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Dethklok -- Austin, TX -- December 1st, 2012

My night started around 5:30 in line at Stubb's. I had taken a deposit off of a bass at Guitar Center for ticket money and had an extra $20, figuring I had enough for a shirt and maybe a "That's Doable" sticker. Turns out that the tickets were $45 (I knew they'd be jacked up, but damn! ), so I wound up with $15 in my pocket - which was quickly blown on drinks and The Black Dahlia Murder's "Ritual" album...because they didn't have those stickers anymore, apparently.

At 6:00, the doors opened and I met my friends who were attending, talked for a bit, and went down to find a good spot for The Black Dahlia Murder. Unfortunately, I didn't see them for the rest of the night.

The Black Dahlia Murder started around 6:30 to enormous fanfare; the album art for "Ritual" was displayed in the background. The pits were fierce and wild, with elbows slamming side to side and dust flying off the dirt floors of Stubb's. If you've ever seen TBDM live, you'll know what happened that night - the audience screamed along to the words, Trevor took his shirt off (3/4ths into the set!), and people - myself included - lost their fucking shoes. Fortunately, I found mine about halfway into Dethklok's last song.

The Black Dahlia Murder

A Shrine to Madness
Moonlight Equilibrium
Statutory Ape
On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood
What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
Malenchantments of the Necrosphere
I Will Return

All That Remains were on next. I met the band a bit earlier on accident and wished them well, however I wasn't a fan, so I didn't stick around for their set. I did get to talk to Max Lavelle and Alan Cassidy - both of whom said that the band was going to be doing something over the summer, but they couldn't tell me what (Max said it wasn't Mayhem Fest - though he could be lying, and Alan stated that Abigail Williams is recording one last album and doing a light tour (he mentioned a Japanese tour with Marduk) . So there is that. The setlist, for the curious:

All That Remains

This Calling
Dead Wrong
Down Through The Ages
Stand Up
Now Let Them Tremble
For We Are Many
Six
Hold On
Become The Catalyst
Some Of The People, All Of The Time
Two Weeks

I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to Machine Head - mostly because I met these really badass people at the show who talked music stuff to me (we also drew on each other with a Sharpie like kids - fuck you, it was fun), and I wound up hanging out with them until Dethklok went on. I did notice some positive energy from the band though, plus something from Robb about wanting some weed.

Machine Head

This Is the End
Imperium
Beautiful Mourning
Aesthetics of Hate
Locust
Halo

Finally Dethklok's Klokateers (no really, they had fucking Klokateer roadies) set up everything onstage for the band. About twenty minutes later, the band started up and went through a variety of songs. The plot this time was similar to the one they've been using, only the weapon was a "Fat Gas" instead of a mutant thing, and the person who applied the Fat Gas looked like Kenny from South Park (leading me to quote the "Oh my God, they killed Kenny" line when he was eventually destroyed). Dr. Rockso came out onscreen for a while and made the audience say shit about chicks with dicks, boners, dildos, and other shit, all to a techno beat. Facebones vituperated the audience about being assholes to women, and towards the end, Brendan gave a speech about being a professional musician...in Nathan, Skwisgaar, and Pickles' voices. And by "professional musician", I mean throwing up in your mouth and eating the puke and shitting your pants. It was that kind of a show. The new songs blended together quite nicely, and adding Fansong (if I recall correctly, it was absent for a while) was a real surprise, so I had fun with that one.

Afterwards, I stuck around with the drummer for TBDM and was offered to go on All That Remains' bus, but it would have taken too damn long to get on, so I was forced to leave. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dethklok

Deththeme
I Ejaculate Fire
Hatredcopter
Dethsupport
Murmaider
Andromeda
Bloodlines
Awaken
Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle
Ghostqueen
The Gears
The Galaxy
Thunderhorse
--------
Go Into the Water
Fansong
Crush the Industry
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 12-02-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Adding review
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Veteran of the Trade

I had a blast at this show. I missed Black Dahlia which sucked, but still thought everyone else sounded great.

Tags
all that remains, dethklok, machine head, the black dahlia murder