10. Countdown to Extinction
11. High Speed Dirt
12. Psychotron
13. Captive Honour
14. Ashes in Your Mouth
---
15. Peace Sells
16. Holy Wars... The Punishment

I made the 6 hour drive for this show because I love Countdown to Extinction and I've wanted to hear songs like Architecture of Aggression and Captive Honour live since I first got the record when I was 15 or 16. So I was pretty disappointed when they announced the CtE tour and it was pretty short but I decided to say screw it and make the drive since my girlfriend's sister lives in Charlotte and I haven't been to many shows this fall anyways. There's a chance they'll do this concept again next year I suppose but I knew I'd be kicking myself forever if I passed on this opportunity. And I'm so glad I went for it.

Let me just put it out there that I was not a fan of the performance I saw this past May with Rob Zombie. Stale setlist, low energy, poor mix, Dave struggling vocally. It was the worst Megadeth show I'd seen and that was my 7th time seeing the band. This performance was a completely different story. The setlist was awesome, Dave was in a great mood, the new tuning helped his vocal performance, the mix was better (although the vocals are still a bit too low for my taste), and all the guys seemed really into the show.

I was second row (despite being the second person into the venue, damn VIP packages) between the two Daves but had a fine view because there were two short girls in front of me. The stage was incredibly low at this place which was great for those of us at the front but would have really sucked for those in the back. The opener, Kyng, came on and they weren't bad. I'm not gonna go out and get their stuff but they were cool. Megadeth came on at about 9:15.

I was skeptical of the video screens at first. I usually hate cheesy video screens and would much rather have a nice handpainted backdrop like the Rust in Peace Anniversary tour. Almost all shows with video screens I've ever seen have either added nothing to the show or been really stupid and would have been better off had they just had amps up on stage. This time was different however. The intro video (using the Prince of Darkness audio) might have been a little low-budget but it was still interesting. The visuals for almost all the other songs were great though. The editing was very professional and the slides flowed really well and actually did enhance the show. The war scenes in songs like Architecture and Holy Wars were particularly well done. While I still prefer backdrops, it was nice to see a band actually utilize professional looking videos.

Here's a video from Charlotte to check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLs4b8eQrps

Oh, and it was funny how Dave posted a video message from backstage before the lights went down.

I'm still not a fan of opening with Trust but whatever. Hangar 18 was awesome as usual and I think Public Enemy is a good live song. The night really got started when they got to the Countdown material. I had never seen Architecture, Foreclosure, This Was My Life, Countdown, High Speed Dirt, Psychotron, or Captive Honour in my 7 previous times seeing Megadeth and I'd only seen ashes once years ago so I was stoked for the deep cuts. And they did not disappoint. Architecture was probably the best song of the night along with High Speed Dirt and Captive Honour. Getting to sing the "Kill a man" part during Captive live was something I'd been wanting to do for years, it's such an awesome few lyrical lines. Foreclose was another one of the best ones of the night. But really all the deep cuts were great as I expected. Peace Sells and Holy Wars were good of course, but not nearly as special as those rare tracks. Vic came out during Peace Sells.

Dave seemed really happy all night and seemed to sincerely mean it when he was impressed with how responsive the crowd was. He talked a good amount which I always like at shows, it makes it feel more personal. He gave a number of political rants which I have no problem with, I might not agree with him but its certainly entertaining. He bashed that newspaper in Columbus again. I'm really not a huge Chris fan but he was really energetic and interacted with the crowd well so he was cooler than expected that night. Ellefson was fun to watch and made eye contact with me a few times.

Only bummers were that I didn't catch anything (was hoping for an Ellefson pick, already have a Mustaine) and the awesome tour shirts were sold out after the show. Hope I'm able to find one online because the design was really cool.

If you get the chance, go see this tour. Even if you've seen Megadeth before, this setlist makes it worth it.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Old Guy

Glad this sounds like a good show since I am seeing it Sunday night. I have seen Megadeth twice before (original Rust in Peace tour opening for Judas Priest and the Rust In Peace anniversary a couple of years ago) so it will be nice to see a very different setlist. Too bad about the vocals being so low in the mix, I noticed that a couple of years ago too.
4-22 Nightwish
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

Great review. I knew it'd be worth your trip.
Dave was in a pretty good mood at our show also. Id like them to open up with something new too. STWA, Wake up Dead, Sleepwalker, Reckoning day. Anything really.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
N00B

I was at the show standing directly behind the sound/lighting booth or whatever. It was a great spot for this show. The sound there was good and LOUD ! And actually, I could hear Dave pretty well most of the night, except when it seemed he didn't sing right into the mic. Awesome seeing all those CTE songs! And I dug all the video as well!

Funny thing, and for future reference for those like me who are unaware, there are two lines to get into the Fillmore Charlotte. My friend got there before me and got into the left line. Well, after I got there and met him and both lines were waaay long, we found out it was for people who upgraded to VIP/fast lane entry. We were just going to go with it and see what happened, but then some guy came by telling everyone the line was for people who upgraded OR had AAA membership. I thought he was joking, like yeah, what about AARP membership too, but he was serious. And my friend just so happens to be nerdy/smart enough to have AAA membership. Great way to start the show!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Twas a great show indeed

People give Megadeth a lot of shit for their live performance, but they sounded great.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM
N00B

I really thought it was cool that they brought Vic, that made my night seeing him! I've only seen Megs 4 times now, is that something they have done on previous tours?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

They've only started doing it since 2010 I believe. Yeah, I didn't have a fast lane pass when I got there and got in line with some friends but I made sure to get one as soon as the box office opened.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac

Tags
megadeth