Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

My "Can't Think of Anything Witty for the Title" 2012 thread

I've now listened to over 100 albums in 2012, so I've decided to just wrap up listening to the rest that I already have on my computer and cut my losses. There's still a bunch of releases that I haven't got to yet that I should, but ya can't listen to everything...unless you're MPF.

So I'm just gonna start this thing. I'll probably do EPs, top 50 albums, top songs and a few live shows worth mentioning. That's my goal at least.

Well, fuck, here it goes...
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

I've only listened to ten EPs this year, so I'm just gonna review all them since they were all pretty okay to varying degrees.

10.) The End of the Ocean - In Excelsis

This EP from this post-rock band from Columbus just comes off as bland after hearing these songs live. I saw them twice this year (once with Alcest and once with If These Trees Could Talk) and absolutely loved them both times, so I bought their EP. My main gripe with it is its lack of the audio samples that they play live that conveyed the certain feelings in the songs. It's by no means a bad EP, but it just gets a little boring and the songs lack the same feeling that they have live.

The End of the Ocean - Star Crossed

9.) Disfiguring the Goddess - Sleeper

Big Chocolate is probably one of my favorite people, so I'm pretty much doomed to like anything he puts out and while this is no different, I also feel there are some major flaws to this that keeps it from being a really great EP. Mainly, there are way more keyboards featured than a slam death release should have and most of them feel out of place. DTG has always had electronics present in the background, but this release shows them moving up to the foreground quite often. There's also something off with the guitar tone in the song Daughter of Depths that just bugs the shit out of me. But make no mistake if this type of music is your thing, then there's plenty of good here for you. Big Chocolate's vocals are as guttural as ever and the slams are heavy as fuck and that's pretty much all you can ask for from something like this.

Disfiguring the Goddess - Sleeper

8.) Revocation - Teratogenesis

I wasn't really the biggest fan of their last album, Chaos of Forms, and this EP seems to pretty much follow along the same path as that one. It's full of the overly technical goodness that makes Revocation themselves, but at times gets too melodic for my tastes. When it's good, it's really fuckin' good. When it's not it borders on boring, while never quite reaching it, it does stray dangerously close. There are certain moments I like in all the songs like the riff in The Grip Tightens or the solo in Maniacally Unleashed or the vocal performance in Teratogenesis, but none of the songs are singularly great.

Revocation - Maniacally Unleashed

7.) Cypress Hill & Rusko - Cypress x Rusko

First of all, I do like dubstep. Both my roommates are into it a lot and it's pretty much the only music we can all agree on, so it's playing frequently at my house. Anyway, I think this release is special because it combines the intensity of dubstep with the flows of Cypress Hill's music. It's a great combination that really works with this release. Of all the DJs out there, Rusko was a great choice for Cypress Hill's style because he was around before dubstep's burst into the media and has more of a chill style to his beats than a lot of artists than lean more towards brostep.

Cypress Hill & Rusko - Lez Go

6.) Massacre - Condemned to the Shadows

While this EP doens't even top ten minutes, it's stil eight minutes of pounding old-school death metal. Condemned to the Shadows more closely resembles the quality of death metal classic, From Beyond than their critically panned second release, Promise. I haven't looked at the lyrics, but from what I've caught the lyrics for Back From Beyond are pretty much all self-referencing to the band's history which I think is pretty cool. This would be higher up in this list if it were more than two songs long. To quote some dude at Central Illinois Metalfest where I saw Massacre, "Massacre! Bad as fuck! Rick Rozz, you bad as fuck!" Bad, meaning good in this case.

Massacre - Back From Beyond

Feedback, taunts, shit-talking would all be appreciated. I'll get to the last five as I have time.
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 11-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I wouldn't consider DTG a EP right?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I wouldn't consider DTG a EP right?
Yeah, Sleeper was definitely an EP.
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

5.) Down - Down IV: Part I - The Purple EP

While I'm admittedly not much of a Down fan, this EP is pretty damn good. The EP is really groovy and mid-paced for the most part and some of the songs (Witchtripper especially) are really catchy. It seems to be a real throwback to the early days of doom metal with clear influences from Saint Vitus and the almighty Black Sabbath while never compromising Down's trademarked sludgey sound. Open Coffins is the only song that I have a particular problem with, as I feel the vocals sound off in it and it just seems to drag on and become boring.

Down - Witchtripper

4.) Deathspell Omega - Drought

Deathspell starts this album out with an almost haunting atmosphere with the instrumental Salowe Vision, then go straight into the raw fury that is Fiery Serpents. The onslaught continues with the avant-garde influenced rager Scorpions & Drought. Soon after, Abrasive Swirling Murk comes up and is definitely the highlight of the album to me. It sounds just like its name, as it is a very fast, abrasive song at times, but there is definitely that gloomy, murky atmosphere ever present throughout its duration. The EP is bookended by another instrumental, The Crackled Book of Life, which brings back and expands on the haunting atmosphere displayed in Salowe Vision.

Deathspell Omega - Abrasive Swirling Murk

3.) Corrosion of Conformity - Megalodon

My roommate does not like metal pretty much at all, but one day after I let him take my car to work, he walked in the house singing The Megalodon from this EP and asking who that was in my car. That's how fucking catchy this EP is. I think this is a huge improvement from the album they released earlier this year as the songs are actually memorable and just better overall. This is a must have EP for any rabid fans of stoner metal and thanks to Scion, it's free!

Corrosion of Conformity - The Megalodon
Corrosion of Conformity - The Vulture

2.) Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

This might be my favorite Agalloch song, which, since it's one song, might make it my favorite Agalloch release. I absolutely love the audio samples that feature throughout the song and I personally am more of a fan of harsh vocals over clean vocals, so this EP suits me well since it's all harsh vocals. The instrumentation is marvelous from the clean guitar interludes to the faster black metal segments. The riff that comes in at about six minutes and continues for a few minutes with all the other instruments joining around it is the best part of the song in my opinion.

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

1.) Smash Potater - The EP

This is a band from Aurora that features MetalSetlists' own, MetallicBrian. This is kinda biased since they're a local band and I kinda know people from the band and shit like that, but fuck it. I've probably listened to this EP around fifty times and it's been in constant rotation in my car, This is just some fun, fast thrash with hilarious lyrics. I believe they are self-described as high cholesterol thrash metal. I can't tell you how many times I've had the chorus to Smash Potater stuck in my head or some random lyric from the bonus rap track Yezzir!!!. So, you should all, like, go listen to this and shit.

Smash Potater - Pit-o-Phile
Smash Potater - Smash Potater
Smash Potater - Yezzir!!!
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
#Controversial

Number one made me smile. Dawww

THANX 4 SUPPORTIN LOCAL METAL BRO
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Buahahahahaha

Yeah I actually like the Smash Potater EP quite a bit. I should check out that CoC EP.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Now on to the full lengths...

50. Evil Ways - Self-Titled

This is a hardcore band that JD posted about awhile back who has their album for free on Bandcamp. This band definitely listened to a lot of Slayer growing up as it shows heavily in their music. The song Evil Ways is a total Slayer tribute even complete with a scream in the begin that is reminiscent of the beginning of Angel of Death, not to mention a nod to Hell Awaits in the chorus. One thing that gets on my nerves about this release though is the clean vocals that pop up in a few songs. They can get a bit whiny which is one thing that I cannot stand with cleans.

Evil Ways - Evil Ways
Evil Ways - Forget the Rest

49. Beneath the Massacre - Incongruous

I've always really liked Beneath the Massacre's -core influenced approach to technical death metal and this album is no different. It brings the widdlys, so to speak. This album seems to be almost all about speed, whereas their last album, Dystopia, took it slow sometimes with a slow breakdown here and there. There are some pretty great solos scattered here and there throughout the album, such as the one in the song It. As with any album of its ilk, it can get pretty samey after awhile, but it's a great album if you want to get your adrenaline flowing.

Beneath the Massacre - Left Hand
Beneath the Massacre - Hopes

48. Abigail Williams - Becoming

As usual, Abigail Williams is back with a new album and completely changing their approach to black metal. This one shows them taking a more atmospheric approach a la Wolves in the Throne Room. Most of the songs contain a very dark and brooding atmosphere, but sometimes will venture in the more serene as in the mid-section of Radiance. Ken has furthered his vocal style to belt out some pretty tortured rasps which are great at furthering the mood. A downside of the record though is that the long length of some of the songs leads them to drag on at times and feel overlong.

Abigail Williams - Ascension Sickness
Abigail Williams - Radiance

47. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Weirdly enough I didn't know these guys released a new album until I heard it played between bands at a Marduk show. Odd choice by the venue to say the least. Anyway, I've been exploring more into post-rock this past year and this is one of the bands that I find myself really enjoying. I like it when a band can mix heavier bits in with their soaring compositions and If These Trees Could Talk delivers in that respect. The music stays in the more serene, peaceful realm for the most part, but wanders into the heavier, faster bits often enough to satiate my metalhead sensibilities.

If These Trees Could Talk - Barren Lands of the Modern Dinosaur
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

46. Gaza - No Absolutes in Human Suffering

I heard of these guys a couple years ago when I saw them with Whitechapel and Cattle Decapitation, but never actually checked them out until I saw them this year with Black Cobra. That was definitely a mistake because these guys are great. I guess at the core they could be compared to the likes of Converge, but add a sludgy aesthetic to the music. This release shows a more controlled chaos then their previous effort and overall better in my eyes. Despite this, the best part of Gaza's music will always be when they open the flood gates and let the chaos flow out such as the into to The Truth Weighs Nothing which begins with a blitzkrieg of noise, but is soon reined in to a more controlled pace.

Gaza - Mostly Hair and Bones Now
Gaza - Winter in Her Blood
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Will have to check out Evil Ways. I like your short, but still throrough review pattern.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

45. Accept - Stalingrad

Mark Tornillo is really proving that he is the right fit for Accept as Stalingrad is the second great album that he's released with them. This album probably has one of the best opening one-two punches of the year with Hung, Drawn and Quartered and Stalingrad. The former is a real rager wheras the latter is a slower paced song comparatively, but doesn't lack in intensity. The quality of the album kind of tapers off as the album goes on and the second half just can't keep up with the quality of the first half.

Accept - Hung, Drawn and Quartered
Accept - Stalingrad

44. Sabaton - Carolus Rex

Ah, Sabaton, some good ol' cheesy power metal with some symphonic elements. That essentially is what Sabaton is, except that they take some really interesting historical concepts to craft an album that goes beyond your average power metal themes of battle and glory. The subject of Carolus Rex is basically the history of the Swedish Empire. I really enjoy the choral vocals on this album. Especially in the track The Lion From the North. The keyboard/guitar solo switch off is also pretty cool.

Sabaton - The Lion From the North
Sabaton - Carolus Rex

43. Weapon - Embers and Revelations

After an impressive album in From the Devil's Tomb, Weapon releases a new album that looks to expand on their ferocious blackened death sound. Embers and Revelations sees them expanding more on the atmospheric elements that were present on the last album, but were mainly kept in the background. The frequent use of pinch harmonics kinda reminds me of Pantera or Rotting Christ covering Pantera in some songs. The vocals also have a really nice modern black metal feel as in the intensity of them.

Weapon - The First Witnesses of Lucifer
Weapon - Liber Lilith

42. Horrendous - The Chills

This is some great new old school death metal that someone on the board mentioned earlier in the year and I finally got around to checking out until last month. This is a really great death metal release that calls back to Swedish death metal (think Entombed) mixed with mid-era Death. The vocalist reminds me of John Tardy (Obituary) mixed with Lars from Entombed. Most of the solos on this album are notable as they are all pretty unique and interesting for the most part.

Horrendous - The Womb
Horrendous - Fleshrot

41. The Men - Open Your Heart

I first heard about this album from something Dethmaiden said in the 2012 thread and decided to check it out. This album, at the core, is indie rock, but with a cluster fuck of other influences that pop up on a song to song basis. Everything from Country to Hardcore is represented at some point. I'm not usually big on Indie, but the experimental nature of this album has kept me captivated through every play through. Usually an album tries to be seen as one cohesive piece of music, but Open Your Heart seems to go the opposite direction and tries to be as varied as possible.

The Men - Animal
The Men - Open Your Heart
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast