Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

High on Fire -- Montreal, Quebec -- November 27th, 2012

Venue: La Tulipe
Opening bands: Lo-Pan, Primate

This was my 13th show in about a month. Let's say I feel pretty exhausted by this and school. Anyway, it was an excellent night, just like I expected. The opener was a bunch of fat dudes from Colombus called Lo-Pan. I had never heard of them before this, but they weren't bad. Musically, they sounded like a groove-oriented mix between Karma to Burn and Soundgarden. They had some pretty heavy/greasy guitar and bass tones, but their singer seemed like he was out of place. He had some kind of clean, epic/emotional singing reminiscent of the vocals in bands like Five Finger Death Punch (I'm not responsible for any nausea induced, sorry). I couldn't stop focusing on his voice, and weight. This guy was probably fatter than anyone in our whole province. Stupid comments aside, Lo-Pan were a good opener, but nothing I'm going to listen to seriously at home.

The show really began for me when the new hardcore punk supergroup Primate, featuring Kevin from Brutal Truth and Bill from Mastodon among others, hit the stage. They gave an extremely intense performance, grinding from song to song without any breaks. They had great energy on stage, especially Bill, who kept jumping and lifting his guitar to the sky. It was cool to see him play somthing less sophisticated than his main band and just have fun. Thus, his leads were tasty. Kevin Sharp's voice was better than ever and well complemented by the bassist's shouts. Their set was 25 minutes of pure punk crazyness executed perfectly. I believe they played the whole Draw Back a Stump EP out of order.

The final supporting band was the ever-touring Goatwhore. You guys probably know what to expect when going to see one of their shows, and last night's one sticked to the rule. The leathered and spiked band was super tight and heavy, and Ben Falgoust's performance as a vocalist and as a frontman was impeccable. This guy knows how to get a crowd moving. Getting the hipster audience of yesterday's show to mosh was an exploit for an non-headlining band, but he finally managed to do it during "Judgement of the Bleeding Crown" and their usual closer "Apocalyptic Havoc". Their setlist was focused on their latest offering, Blood for the Master, which was no problem to me, since I've enjoyed that record a lot. The only thing that sucked about their set is that an idiot douchebag in a Jagermeister shirt kept shoving and falling on random people in the crowd. He was probably drunk and/or high on something, but he surely didn't look like he was into any of the bands. After Goatwhore finished playing, he kept yelling at people, looking for a fight, and he finally got kicked out by security. Though he was funny, he brought a wierd, uncomfortable ambiance in the room and I was relieved when he went away.

Now was the time for the band I had wanted to see for a long time. I had actually seen them at Heavy MTL 2010, but the 30 minutes set in front of a clueless crowd had left me unsatisfied. It was about time they headlined here. After a pretty long pause, the Oakland trio quickly hit the stage and launched into the opening track of their new (and fucking great) record, "Serums of Liao", which was immediately followed by "Frost Hammer" from the previous one. The lightings brought a mystic, foggy look to the stage, that was perfect for High on Fire's sound. Des Kensel looked like he had some kind of blueish aura around him while he pounded the fuck out of his drumkit. Matt's voice was excellent, a lot better than in 2010. However, it felt like something was missing. Indeed, his pedals were fucking up and he couldn't get any effects. The techs managed to fix them in time for the mighty dirge that is "10,000 Years", which stepped up the game and really started the set for me. God, his tone was heavy and distorted like I've rarely heard before. It was loud as hell too. One of my friends had forgotten his earplugs and he regretted it bitterly. Although it was loud, the sound was flawless; it was one of those shows where you could wear earplugs and still hear everything clearly, without any major impact loss. Going back to Matt, he looked he was pissed off during the whole set. Quitting alcohol certainly improved his voice and tightness, but not his mood. I also noticed he kept spitting and blowing his nose; he must have caught a pretty bad cold due to the temperature here. Pretty different from California. I also have one right now, so I feel for him. Nevertheless, being sick didn't keep him from delivering one of the best performances of the year. Aside from the third song, like I mentionned before, my highlights were headbanging to "Devilution", moshing to "Rumors of War" and having my bones and brain crushed by "Madness of an Architect". The crowd was responsive, though very static up until "Rumors of War" and "Snakes for the Divine", which got the pits going. It was a beautiful night and everybody seemed to have a blast. I know I had one.

Goatwhore

Collapse in Eternal Worth
When Steel and Bone Meet
Parasitic Scriptures of the Sacred Word
Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
Embodiment of This Bitter Chaos
In Deathless Tradition
Sky Inferno
Beyond the Spell of Discontent
Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
An End to Nothing
To Mourn and Forever Wander Through Forgotten Doorways
Apocalyptic Havoc

High on Fire

Serums of Liao
Frost Hammer
10,000 Years
Devilution
Last
Fertile Green
Speedwolf
Rumors of War
DII
Hung, Drawn and Quartered
Madness of an Architect
Snakes for the Divine

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 11-28-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Banned Asshole

can you remember roughly how long the entire show was? trying to determine how late tonights show is going to keep me out
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
can you remember roughly how long the entire show was? trying to determine how late tonights show is going to keep me out
Lo-Pan started around 8:00 pm and High on Fire finished about a quarter after midnight, so expect 4 hours. Enjoy yours!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Dittohead

Hello all, been a LONG time reader of the board and here is my first official post, finally (please be gentle ). None more fitting than a review of what I feel was the BEST lineup for 2012!!!

My buddy and I drove from Ottawa to see this show and got to the venue just as doors were opening. Realizing that the show didnt start for an hour, we got some grub and came back a half hour later where we walked in to check out merch and see what was goin on and what the set times were. Met up with Shayne from Primate and had a good talk with him about the band past, present and their future. Really cool guy to chat with! Bill came over shortly thereafter and we talked for a bit too. This was the 2nd time I've met Bill (once with Mastodon this summer) another really down to Earth guy and easy to chat with.

Shortly after, Lo-Pan began their 30 minute set and although I did not know any of their music prior to tonight, they definitely started the night off right! Very similar sound to old Kyuss and Fu Manchu (which I have been a fan of for years) made these guys instantly enjoyable! Due to not knowing their music or songs prior, unfortunately no setlist. But for those who like that style of music, they are DEF worth checking out! And yeah, their lead singer is HUGE!

Next up was Primate. For those who don't know, some known names in the band include Bill Kelliher from Mastodon and the legendary Kevin Sharp from Brutal Truth! I have been a BT fan for many years all the way back to the Extreme Conditions days also a Mastodon fan since Leviathan so having checked these guys out prior to the show, I knew I was in for a great time seeing them finally! They are a great mixture of punk, grind, Black Flag influences and you can even hear a little Mastodon in there as well. Overall, they put on a spectacular performance! especially in just 30 mins. Shayne mentioned to me that they had planned to try and come up to Canada earlier but only really had the chance on this tour. They were quite happy and will definitely return again! Again, due to not knowing all of their songs or titles, setlist is not completely available and out of order. But highlights of the night were:

Draw Back a Stump
Hellbound
Wasted Youth
Global Division
Reform
March of the Curmudgeon

Next up was the almighty Goatwhore! I have been a fan of theirs now for a few years with their mixture of thrash and black metal. Their sound is def an evil one Seen them twice in Ottawa and this was the 2nd time seeing them in Mtl. These guys are one of the best live acts I have seen over the years. Ben is an amazing frontman and really gives it his all every performance I have seen. Last night was no exception either. Zack is a beast on the drums! Sammy was spot on last night, only exception being that his guitar needed to be turned up a little as you could notice that his chugs were somewhat lacking as you would hear on an album and as I have heard live from him in the past. Otherwise, for 45 mins they were frickin fantastic!! I will admit that I was a little disappointed with the crowd as it took a while for them to get into it. Alot of headbanging but little action. But once the pits started to open up, the band fed off of it and played with even more aggression! Spoke with Sammy and Ben a bit after the show. They mentioned that they love coming up to Canada and are intending on doing a headline tour sometime hopefully in the spring and go across the country. But they wanna put together a really good lineup when they do. Setlist was pretty much the same as they played at Heavy MTL this year and is 99.9% accurate however a little out of order:

Collapse in Eternal Worth
When Steel and Bone Meet
Parasitic Scriptures of the Sacred Word
Beyond the Spell of Discontent
In Deathless Tradition
Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
Judgement of the Bleeding Crown
Embodiment of This Bitter Chaos
Sky Inferno
An End to Nothing
To Mourn and Forever Wander Through Forgotten Doorways
Apocalyptic Havoc

Lastly was the headliner High on Fire. I have seen them once before at Heavy MTL 2010 and was really looking forward to seeing them again for the first time in a couple years. For 75 mins, they completely exceeded my expectations and then some! Matt had a little bit of technical issues with his pedals but once they fixed them up, he was spot on all night! Des pounded away on his kit only the way he can! LOUD and POWERFUL! Jeff was in the dark for the most part but he was not to be outdone. His bass sound filled the room and shook our insides! I agree with Void Flame that Matt seemed pissed a bit throughout the set, could be the tech issues or the lack of alcohol too but he def sounded great musically and vocally! The crowd response at the beginning was the same as Goatwhore. It took them a while to really get into it and I must say, I have seen countless shows over the years in Montreal and this is never the case. Maybe it was the Tues night effect. But, at the end of the night the crowd were left wanting more! Lots of stomping and chanting! At one point some guy got on stage to engage and urge the crowd to get an encore...he even walked backstage to try and entice the band to come out for one more, but alas to no avail. Setlist was the same as it has been all tour.

Serums of Liao
Frost Hammer
10,000 Years
Devilution
Last
Fertile Green
Speedwolf
Rumors of War
DII
Turk
Madness of an Architect
Snakes for the Divine
Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

So did they play HD&Q or not?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovar View Post
So did they play HD&Q or not?
They did play it. 100% sure about it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymetalhead View Post
At one point some guy got on stage to engage and urge the crowd to get an encore...he even walked backstage to try and entice the band to come out for one more, but alas to no avail.
Yeah, that was hilarious!

Cool review, specially awesome for a first post!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Dittohead

Thnx man! As mentioned, Ive been a long time reader and even joined almost 2 years ago with the intent to post sometime and just never did. But I really felt that this show was well deserved of a first post

I was sure I heard Turk but maybe I am wrong. Kinda a newbie at this LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

You are truly a metal warrior and I envy you! Never enough metal!!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
N00B

Awesome review, how was the turnout?
04/24 - Nile

Tags
goatwhore, high on fire