Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Opened this thread in 2012 and it opened a wormhole to 1980 wtf
lel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I know, especially since Killing Joke and Swans are on that list. and Converge are #1! Is it 2001 again?
While I like the new Van Halen for what it is, there is a clear difference between them and the bands you listed. Swans and Converge are still relevant because they change their sound and make records that sound new. A Different Kind of Truth is just a throwback album so it's not really relevant when you're discussing modern music. If The Seer and All We Love We Leave Behind were nothing but remakes of Children of God and Jane Doe your argument would be valid but that is not the case.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
slapguitarer's Avatar
slapguitarer slapguitarer is offline
Buahahahahaha
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,353
I'm not surprised by the Top 2, but still disappointed. At least last year it was sort of a surprise with Tombs.
__________________
9/27 Dispirit
10/17 Childish Gambino
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
lel


While I like the new Van Halen for what it is, there is a clear difference between them and the bands you listed. Swans and Converge are still relevant because they change their sound and make records that sound new. A Different Kind of Truth is just a throwback album so it's not really relevant when you're discussing modern music. If The Seer and All We Love We Leave Behind were nothing but remakes of Children of God and Jane Doe your argument would be valid but that is not the case.
Relevance is a completely horseshit term made up by critics to slander a band that they never liked anyway. Hey, I always thought this band sucked, but now that the young people, who have shit taste anyway, don't like them anymore, I can just say they're irrelevant. I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
"Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.
Are you trying to tell me this doesn't kick gargantuan amounts of ass?
__________________
9.28 Sadistic Intent / Morbid Saint
10.20 Raven
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,849
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 PM
daimonos's Avatar
daimonos daimonos is offline
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,598
Absolute pile of shit list.
__________________
I've lost track of just about everything.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
BloodoftheKings's Avatar
BloodoftheKings BloodoftheKings is offline
Rats off to ya
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Strong Island
Posts: 5,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.
Well fine if that's the way you feel but my point still stands.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
moobys37's Avatar
moobys37 moobys37 is offline
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh/California
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I know, especially since Killing Joke and Swans are on that list. and Converge are #1! Is it 2001 again?
That Killing Joke record is ace.
__________________
Ben Frost: 10/18
Moon Duo: 10/24
Slowdive: 10/25
Pallbearer: 10/28
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Relevance is a completely horseshit term made up by critics to slander a band that they never liked anyway. Hey, I always thought this band sucked, but now that the young people, who have shit taste anyway, don't like them anymore, I can just say they're irrelevant. I don't want bands to sound new. "Modern" sounds are what have been ruining music for the past however many years.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,577
Bigger surprise is Converge winning no. 2 best song of 2012 from Kerrang!. I thought they were definitely off the beating track for Kerrang!.
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008