Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Good to see you liked Miss May I and Diablo Swing Orchestra like I did but surprised you didn't care much for the new Coheed.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
Good to see you liked Miss May I and Diablo Swing Orchestra like I did but surprised you didn't care much for the new Coheed.
Really? I could have sworn my disdain for C&C has been known for a while.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Really? I could have sworn my disdain for C&C has been known for a while.
I thought you just didn't like one of their albums. Their newest album might be the one I like most.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 AM
That Guy

Thank you guys so much for checking out the thread so far. I promise I will get to reviewing more albums. Tragedy struck my family on Friday when my cousin (who was one of my best friends in high school) passed away from a overdose of Oxycontin. So I am letting everything take its course right now and letting time heal this tragedy. I'm hoping to get more reviews done in time I promise I will.

I'm also thinking of doing this for 2013 in the beginning of the year as I get new albums. Good idea or bad idea?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 AM
One who onions things

How about just a general MPF's album reviews thread? That way you're not limited to the year, you can just give us batches of reviews of current albums around the general time they release.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM
That Guy

And I'm back....

201.) Adrenaline Mob- Omerta

When I first heard the EP, I was severely disappointed, now I am overall very happy with Adrenaline Mob. I'm not sure what really changed from the EP to the album, but something did and it's a hell of a lot better than I could have imagined. The Mike Portnoy/Russell Allen lead band is yes a very straight Hard Rock band with influences from bands like Disturbed, Black Label Society, etc but I think it was needed. A lot of Hard Rock bands on the radio today suck, plain and simple, this does not, although it is not on the radio. This is a very solid Hard Rock album, there's nothing more you could really ask for.

8/10

202.) Panopticon- Kentucky

Black Metal, Folk Metal, and.....BLUEGRASS? Yes you read that right. This album is a very strange combination for sure. When you think of Black Folk Metal you don't think of North American Bluegrass as well, until now. This album is just plain awesome. It is very damn original and not what you would expect, again something that has needed to happen in the genre for a while now. For a new spin on the genre, pick this up, it is so very damn good!

9/10

203.) Nachtmystium- Silencing Machine

Nachmystium has been the leaders in experimental Black Metal for a long time now. Whether it be their Psychedelic Days, or their Electronic areas. This is not boring Black Metal. This album in particular is all across the board covering the areas of Black Metal that some have never dared to do. Like Panopticon above this review, pick this one up for a new spin on Black Metal.

8/10

204.) Car Bomb- w^w^^w^w

What the Hell is this? IF The Dillinger Escape Plan went more in a Grindcore route rather than their current more mainstream sound, this would be Car Bomb. It's not boring by any stretch of the imagination. Grindcore, Mathcore and some odd breaks of Melodic Metal. It's not for the faint of heart, this is a brutal album.

8/10

205.) Exumer- Fire & Domination

Very cool Thrash Metal. When if first got this promo, I read it wrong and thought it was the new album from Exhumed, then I realized they weren't putting out an album this year. Upon listening I heard very Testament and Exodus inspired Thrash Metal. While not reinventing the wheel, it is very solid all the way though and a good dose of heavy Thrash.

7/10

206.) Devil Sold His Soul- Empire Of Light

Ambient Progressive Post Hardcore. That's my best description of it. I really don't like the screams (like almost all Post Hardcore) but the music is so damn good. If they ever made an instrumental version of this album it would be one of my favorite albums of the year. The clean vocals are very good though, I will give it that. If you can withstand Post Hardcore screams, I HIGHLY recommend this one, the music is too good to ignore.

8/10

207.) Star Monarchy- Volume I

This is a Progressive Metal project featuring guest appearances from Rody of Protest The Hero, Dan formerly for TesseracT, and Speed from Soilwork amongst others. This album runs the gambit for Progressive Metal. I am really surprised NO ONE has talked about this album, because it is a fantastic album. It's a very damn heavy Progressive Metal album (with some Djent in it at times) but don't ignore this one if you like Soilwork, Protest The Hero and TesseracT.

9/10

208.) Pallbearer- Sorrow And Extinction

This is a band that I predict will be taking over the Doom Metal world next year when they get the main support slot for the upcoming Enslaved tour. This is one of the finest Doom Metal albums in quite some time. Unlike a lot of Dom Metal, this doesn't feel like it drags on, it all feels natural and enjoyable, amongst the dark despair. Also the inclusion of Clean vocals makes this one stand out. Pick this one up if you want to hear some damn good Doom Metal.

9/10

209.) What the Blood Revealed- Harbour Of Devils

Post Rock with a lot of Metal thrown in as well. It almost feels like an instrumental A Perfect Circle album in some ways. While most of the album does have this vibe, it all works and flows very well together. While I have heard a lot of Post Rock this year, this one was put in the way side for a long time, now a I regret it because this is fantastic.

8/10

210.) Nile- At the Gates of Sethu

The best Nile album since Annihilation Of The Wicked. It is actually quite diverse, something I've been wanting for a long time. Don't get me wrong, it is still Nile, and it is still Technical Death Metal, but there is a lot more dynamics in the band that haven't been there in a while. I would actually recommend this album for anyone who wants to get into the band, It is a great album to get someone into the band. I am pleasently surprised!

8/10

211.) Vision Of Disorder- The Cursed Remain Cursed

One of my favorite Hardcore bands is back. What I have always loved about Vision OF Disorder is that they have so many dynamics to the band. It's much more than a Hardcore band. Hardcore bands of today could learn a HUGE listen from VOD. They really, really need to. Pick this one up for very dynamic and awesome Hardcore.

8/10

212.) Effloresce- Coma Ghosts

If you made Opeth into a Female Fronted band, they would be Effloresce. It is a very damn good Progressive Death Metal album. I wish Female fronted Metal bands could sound like this rather than ripping off Nightwish every chance they get. This is how it should sound. Heavy Opeth inspired Progressive Death Metal. Just the way I like it.

9/10

213.) Beardfish- The Void

It puzzles me so much how Beardfish are not as big as Dream Theater. They have everything that people could want in a Prog band. Heavy when it calls for it, Frank Zappa style quirks, 99% clean vocals (some of the earlier albums have growls, as does this album, but very sparingly), and the music itself.....DAMN! the Void in particular, is a good heavy groovin' Prog Rock album that will go over a lot of people's heads, and that is just not fair. I love these guys and you should too. pick this up immediately!

9.5/10

214.) Elvenking- Era

Almost all of the Folk Metal is out of this band and it is almost pure Power Metal at this point. This is one of the first bands I got into for Folk Metal and Power Metal, so I will always have a soft spot for them. I will say though that the album sometimes drags, but it is made up for it by the surprisingly amount of killer songs on it. Nothing groundbreaking, just awesome Power Metal. I love it.

8/10

215.) Tyrant Of Death- Re Connect

One of the two albums that came out from this project this year. This album is the equivalent of Meshuggah making an Industrial album. It's another example of a band that's awesome to listen to in small doses. Its a chaotic, yet dynamic album, and don't forget brutal as all hell. Check it out!

6/10

216.) Tyrant Of Death- Cyanide

haha, what are the odds the other Tyrant Of Death album would come up right after? Cyanide is a bit closer to the sound I am more familiar with. Still brutal as all Hell, but a lot more proggy and diverse. a lot of Electronica influence amongst the chaos. Normally I wouldn't be a fan of this combination, but the way it is used here. it's awesome. A great band people don't know about.

7/10

217.) Alice Through The Windshield Glass

Technical Deathcore that is awesome. I should note that I don't like normal "Brocore" kinda Deathcore. Where the riffs are easy enough for me to play, everything is breakdowns and pig squeals, it's boring! Music like this is up my alley because there is actually substance behind it. While yes, like Deathcore itself, I can only take so much of it before I wanna hear something else, it is killer stuff.

7/10

218.) Jodis- Black Curtain

Anyone miss Isis as much as I do....well this won't tide you over for a return. Aaron Turner of Isis made this project to focus on the Ambient and Drone side to Isis, and well, I do love it sometimes, I wish there was more to it. REAL Drone fans will love this album to Death for me. I was hoping for a bit more. I'm hoping Aaron does some other projects besides this to keep me preoccupied over the loss of Isis.

4/10

219.) Kamelot- Silverthorn

Tommy from Seventh Wonder is now in Kamelot (and THANKFULLY still in Seventh Wonder). I never would have imagined he would sound so much like Roy Kahn, which is not a bad thing at all. I've never been a big Kamelot albums because I started with Ghost Opera and was let down after the first 2 songs and the albums after that kept that up that tradition. This album though I can actually enjoy all the way through (something that is a first for me....yes I know about the early Kamelot material, I have it). Tommy is the man for the job to make this band even better than before. Huge kudos!.....AND CHECK OUT SEVENTH WONDER DAMN IT!!!!

7/10

220.) Dying Fetus- Reign Supreme

Like every single Dying Fetus release. it's short, brutal, to the point, and awesome. I would even dare to say the best release of their career. Death Metal and Grindcore formed to make this Blasphemous band and I love it. And it's a great length (37 minutes) that makes me not want to change it half way through. Such killer *no pun intended* stuff!

8/10
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
That Guy

221.) High On Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis

Ah yes, Matt Mike and Co came back this year with a brand new album for all the Stoner Metal fans that want something faster then 90 BPM. For some reason everyone stopped talking about this album pretty much right after it came out. And that is a shame because it is a fantastic album. There is some great dynamics and songwriting that you expect from Matt Pike. Snakes For The Divine is probably my favorite HOF album, but this isn't far behind. Hopefully people will come back to this album and enjoy it because it's worth it. Every song is badass and of prime High On Fire quality.

8/10

222.) Sonata Arctica- Stones Grow Her Name

"I GOT A SHITLOAD OF MONEY!" What else do you need to know about this album? If you can stomach that, well you are a stronger person than I. This is in my top 5 for most disappointing albums of the year, event he last album was good, this is just....awful. Granted a couple songs are listenable and enjoyable, but still not worth hearing the whole album. This is the St. Anger of Sonata Arctica's career.

3/10

223.) Krallice- Years Point Matters

One of the best Black metal albums to ever be released. Krallice is an experimental Black Metal band that actually knows how to capture a person's interest. It's a long album, there is no denying that. also given that the song titles are ridiculous IIIIIIII is the shortest title and expands on that. Despite that, again like most things a band should be able to do, the music makes up for any shortcomings that make you skeptical. This is a pure Masterpiece of Experimental Black Metal.

9.5/10

224.) Bison B.C.- Lovelessness

One of the best bands no one ever talks about. Bison B.C. is carrying on in the tradition that Mastodon would have carried on with if they didn't go full on Prog (I'm not saying that in a bad way I love Mastodon). It's a very heavy and thought out Metal album with tons of dynamics. It's a sludgey album for sure, which can be a positive or negative thing if you like the style. but overall it's a nice, big Heavy Metal album that should be kicking your ass right now!

9/10

225.) NOFX- Self Titled

The best Punk album I have heard all year. Although in my defense, I don't listen to much Punk anymore, just the classic bands. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this album, it's a NOFX album, nothing you haven't heard before, but that's what makes Punk music Punk. It is fantastic. Basically if you know who they are, you know how this sounds.

7/10

226.) From Oceans To Autumn- Oath Of Eternals

Very Heavy, Metal influenced, Instrumental Post Rock. This is a fantastic album that I have yet to see ANYONE talk about. it has the dynamics of Post Rock with lots of Heavy moments that grab you and don't let go. If you dig Post Rock at all, you should fall in love with this album. It is quite fantastic all around.

8/10

227.) Bad Salad- Uncivilized

Honestly, I don't like the name at all and it kept me away from the band for a while. But that said once I gave it a shot, it is a killer Prog Metal album. I guess it is fair to say that Prog Metal bands don't usually have the best names, but it's not fair to judge them on band name alone. It's a big Dream theater influence in this band mixed with Porcupine tree as well.. They aren't Pyramid Theorem, but they are going to be a huge name int eh Prog Metal world if they keep up this quality of music.

8/10

228.) Sabaton- Carolus Rex

Easily, without question, Power Metal album of the year. Sabaton has been one of my favorite Power Metal bands for years and they just keep outdoing themselves every time. Even with losing 4/6ths of the band this year, they wrote a fantastic album that lives up to the Sabaton name. War Metal at it's finest, well besides Bolt Thrower, but that's Death Metal. If you like your Power Metal epic heavy and full of fun, get this album now.

9/10

229.) Rush- Clockwork Angels

I don't even think I have mentioned this album to anyone this year. Anywhere I go on the internet, my Facebook, etc. I just haven't talked about it. I have no clue why either. Clockwork Angels is easily the best Rush album since Signals, that's right, i said it! This masterpiece of a concept album took 30 years after signals to make (and several albums in between) but besides Snakes and Arrows (which I actually like a lot) nothing else since that time has Rush done anything that actually captured my interest and made me as big of a fan of the band. Rush, you have written your finest work in decades. I hope you can keep up this momentum for as long as you can. Prog Rock at its purest and finest form

9.5/10

230.) Goatwhore- Blood For The Master

Blackened Death Metal, you can't top this! Goatwhore is the finest band in Blackened Death Metal, and every album just gets better and better. This was in my Top 20 of the year for several months and it is still worthy of it to this day, although it's not in it. Like the name suggests, it is blasphemous Metal, and it's so damn good. If you're into this style of music, you will not find anything better to date, pick this up and hail satan!

9.5/10

231.) Sigh- In Somniphobia

One of the strangest albums I've heard in quite sometime that is so oddly catchy. Sigh is known for their Experimental blend of Metal. Avant Garde, Black Metal and Prog Metal all rolled into one. Japan is known for their better electronics, and usually better proficient bands, this is one shining example of how that is very, very true. pick this up for some oddly catchy experimental Progressive Black Metal.

9/10

232.) Suffer Well- Sorrows

A supergroup consisting of members of Anaal Nathrakh, 18Visions, Combichrist, Bleeding Through & Imperative Reaction. The best way to describe it is Blackened Metalcore. Kinda like what Bleeding Through has become. this is insane music that is awesomely good. A bit much to take if you are not familiar with any of the bands mentioned but worth checking out if it sounds like it can get your attention at all. So very damn impressive.

9/10

233.) Cannibal Corpse- Torture

This was and in a lot of ways still is, My Death Metal album of the year. Many older fans, and hipster young kids will disagree with me. but Kill is Cannibal Corpse's finest work. And I feel this album captures a lot of what was on that album in sheer brutality. There is no reinventing the wheel for Cannibal Corpse they have two speeds, killer fast, or brutally slow. Both equal out to some amazing Torture (pun intended). If you don't like this album, you are not a real Death Metal fan.

9.5/10

234.) Sybreed- God Is An Automation

Nothing from Sybreed will ever impress me as much as their debut album. It was the right mixture of Modern Metal at the time and it can't be touched. This gets kinda close, but it's still not the same to me. It's technically proficient and good songwriting, but it's just not for me. If you like the Modern Metal of the early to mid 2000's (Mnemic for example) then this is totally for you. It is a good album, there is no denying that, and many will argue this is their finest work to date. It might just take more listens for me to totally enjoy it as much as their first album. But it is worth the listen.

6/10

235.) Mombu- Zombi

What The bloody Hell is this? It's Improv Djenty Jazz Metal. You read that right. This was all improv like the great Jazz albums of yesteryear used to be. But it's as heavy as any Meshuggah album. for a lack of a better term, it's a complete and utter mindfuck For fans of John Zorn, Mike Patton and Meshuggah, this is for you. But to comprehend it, it will take a few weeks.

8/10

236.) The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet

This is most likely the best Mars Volta album in a decade. The dynamics on this album are awesome and something that has been missing over the last few albums. Either they have been pure chaos or over the top mellow. This is a mix of both, and that's what the fans really want. Dynamics are huge, even though most people don't think about that when it comes to music. TMV got it right this time around. While I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. I can totally appreciate this album and enjoy it. It's great stuff.

8/10

237.) Troglodyte- Don't Go In the Woods

One of the best things to ever come out of Kansas. It's pure unadulterated Death Metal that utters barbaric lyrical content (usually about Sasquatch) The fact these guys aren't doing support slots for Death Metal tours across the country yet is heart breaking to me. They deserve to be one of the biggest names in the new era of Death Metal. And maybe in 2013 theyw ill.

9/10

238.) Halestorm- the Strange Case Of...

Halestorm....actually as I am writing this up they are on stage at First Avenue in Minneapolis. I stayed home. I like the first album a lot. The Covers EP is fantastic as well, the new album...the music is fantastic, but I am sick of Lzzy Hale. She has great pipes and of course hot as all Hell. But her lyrics are god awful. "Look at me, I'm hot, I wanna singing about sex so you buy our albums." If they are not about cheating on a girl who will give you better sex, it's about missing being in an abusive relationship. It's annoying, and it takes a lot for me to say that an album is ruined because of the lyrical content. That's the one advantage to Female Fronted Symphonic Metal, all they need to do is be hot to sell albums, not have to write about sex in every song. I'm not giving up on Halestorm, their next album will be make or break for me, but right now. I don't need to hear about sex to buy an album, that's no better than Nickelback.

3/10

239.) Knives Out!- Black Mass Hysteria

When anyone that was a part of Dog Fashion Disco makes an album i have no choice but to check it out. Knives out features members of Dog Fashion Disco and Nothingface and it is basically the heavier side of Dog Fashion Disco. Its Poppy but very Metal. While I don't even think this album would be in my top 100 albums of the year, it's still good. just a bit one sided. It's very much worth the listen if you think you'd dig this.

6/10

240.) Rumpelstiltskin Grinder- Ghostmaker

These guys have drastically changed their sound from their debut album. They started off as a Thrash band with some Melodic Death Metal thrown in. They now sound a lot like a Blackened Death Metal band with an occasional Thrash riff in a song or two. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just very strange to me that a band can change that much. I haven't been able to give this album a lot of listens, but I absolutely love what I have heard. In a lot of ways it's as if testament stuck with the Demonic sound and added some Black Metal to it like Eric Peterson's side project Dragonlord has.

7/10
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

237.) Troglodyte- Don't Go In the Woods[/b]

One of the best things to ever come out of Kansas. It's pure unadulterated Death Metal that utters barbaric lyrical content (usually about Sasquatch) The fact these guys aren't doing support slots for Death Metal tours across the country yet is heart breaking to me. They deserve to be one of the biggest names in the new era of Death Metal. And maybe in 2013 theyw ill.
[b]
9/10
YEAH NIGGA!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
YEAH NIGGA!
You know them, and they wrote a song about Minnesota, tell them to get their asses up here!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
That Guy

So after 70 more albums, I've only had 2 people comment about the lists. Should I just take it that since everyone else is doing their own lists that people lost interest in mine?

I still have 11Gbs of music left and I do wanna share them, but only if people actually wanna see the rest. Otherwise I can do my top 20 and be done with it.