Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Alice Cooper, Guns N' Roses, Scorpions and Van Halen are Glam Metal?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
Alice Cooper, Guns N' Roses, Scorpions and Van Halen are Glam Metal?
Not really,but who am I to determine how people interpret the music they like
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Not really,but who am I to determine how people interpret the music they like
When I think of bands with the glam metal label I think of Poison, Cinderella, Twisted Sister(they had the glam image not sure about sound I'm only familar with two songs), Warrant(DRFSR and Cherry Pie). I guess Motley Crue can be considered glam metal.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
When I think of bands with the glam metal label I think of Poison, Cinderella, Twisted Sister(they had the glam image not sure about sound I'm only familar with two songs), Warrant(DRFSR and Cherry Pie). I guess Motley Crue can be considered glam metal.
those are the bands I consider glam metal,Twisted Sister had some good early stuff,I highly suggest you check them out,Under The Blade and You Can't Stop Rock And Roll are great albums.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Have you forgotten that glam metal also has a distinct sound? All glam metal bands have some things in common,like huge,anthem-like choruses,and shredding guitars,but I'm definitely not saying all glam metal bands sound the same.Alice Cooper had the "sound" of glam metal on Trash,Def Leppard may not of had the look of glam metal,but on Hysteria and Adrenalize they definitely had the sound of glam metal.Early Bon Jovi was glam metal,anything after New Jersey isn't (but I like almost all their stuff).Skid Rows first album had glam metal elements in it,I use that as a excuse to put it in my top ten,but I agree their mostly straight up heavy metal to me.Guns 'n' Roses is in no way a glam metal band,they are the definition of a hard rock band (well they used to be at least).Motley Crue's early stuff (Too Fast For Love,Shout At The Devil) is more heavy metal with elements of glam,Theater of Pain and Girls,Girls,Girls are glam metal with elements of heavy metal,and Dr.Feelgood is really hard rock/glam metal.
If that's the glam metal sound then AC/DC is glam metal then, right? I mean they have huge, anthem-like choruses and shredding guitars I never considered Hysteria and Andrenalize as glam at all. They certainly went more mainstream sounding on those albums but it wasn't glam it was more pop rock. I'll defend until my dying breath that Def Leppard isn't glam. In fact, maybe i'll have that written on my tombstone

It's strange, I grew up in the 80s watching MTV all the time and seeing all these bands videos played. Yet, til this day i've never been clear on what exactly glam metal is supposed to be? I always thought it was a label for a band like Poison and others that were like them. In fact whenever I read the words glam metal, Poison is always the first band that pops in my head.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
If that's the glam metal sound then AC/DC is glam metal then, right? I mean they have huge, anthem-like choruses and shredding guitars I never considered Hysteria and Andrenalize as glam at all. They certainly went more mainstream sounding on those albums but it wasn't glam it was more pop rock. I'll defend until my dying breath that Def Leppard isn't glam. In fact, maybe i'll have that written on my tombstone

It's strange, I grew up in the 80s watching MTV all the time and seeing all these bands videos played. Yet, til this day i've never been clear on what exactly glam metal is supposed to be? I always thought it was a label for a band like Poison and others that were like them. In fact whenever I read the words glam metal, Poison is always the first band that pops in my head.
What I was saying is that most glam metal bands have those things in common,I didn't say that if you have those characteristics that you are a glam metal band,at least I didn't mean to say that.Poison is definitely what comes to my mind when I hear or see the word "glam" though.If you want a clearer definition on what glam metal is,I think you should look it up.