Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Yeah, but their pre-Cowboys albums still exist.

I don't really listen to glam much, but here it goes...

1. Motley Crue
2. Quiet Riot
3. Alice Cooper
4. Steel Panther (Kinda, I guess)
5. Def Leppard
6. Skid Row
7. Pantera
8. Poison
9. Bon Jovi
10. Ratt
I don't think Alice Cooper counts as glam unless you are only talking about Constrictor.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I don't think Alice Cooper counts as glam unless you are only talking about Constrictor.
I would think Trash would be his only glam album,not Constrictor
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
I would think Trash would be his only glam album,not Constrictor
I can't believe I forgot that. I guess it does count. Even so, 2/26 albums wouldn't really be a glam artist to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I can't believe I forgot that. I guess it does count. Even so, 2/26 albums wouldn't really be a glam artist to me.
I agree with you 100%,on a side note I think Alice Coopers best album is Hey Stoopid,such a underrated album
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Concert Veteran

Calling Alice Cooper glam might be the biggest insult i've ever seen on this board. He had some influence on the genre because of his look, but if you knew anything about his music, you would know it has very little in common with glam metal.

How exactly is Def Leppard glam? I've always considered them just a rock band. They never wore make up and Rick and Steve were the only ones with big hair so they didn't fit in to the whole Hair band label either. The same with Bon Jovi, Skid Row, GnR and Motley Crue, they're just rock bands. With Crue you could make an argument that they were glam on those first couple albums with all the makeup and looking like females thing they had going on. But starting with Girls, Girls, Girls they ditched that whole look and have never looked back since. Songwise, they're just a hard rock band

Van Halen sure as hell isn't one either.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Kiss
Scorpions
Van Halen
I've tolerated a few songs from these bands over the years. I also liked Cinderella for about five minutes back when I was a stupid teenager (i.e., the mid-to-late 80's).
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Calling Alice Cooper glam might be the biggest insult i've ever seen on this board. He had some influence on the genre because of his look, but if you knew anything about his music, you would know it has very little in common with glam metal.

How exactly is Def Leppard glam? I've always considered them just a rock band. They never wore make up and Rick and Steve were the only ones with big hair so they didn't fit in to the whole Hair band label either. The same with Bon Jovi, Skid Row, GnR and Motley Crue, they're just rock bands. With Crue you could make an argument that they were glam on those first couple albums with all the makeup and looking like females thing they had going on. But starting with Girls, Girls, Girls they ditched that whole look and have never looked back since. Songwise, they're just a hard rock band

Van Halen sure as hell isn't one either.
Have you forgotten that glam metal also has a distinct sound? All glam metal bands have some things in common,like huge,anthem-like choruses,and shredding guitars,but I'm definitely not saying all glam metal bands sound the same.Alice Cooper had the "sound" of glam metal on Trash,Def Leppard may not of had the look of glam metal,but on Hysteria and Adrenalize they definitely had the sound of glam metal.Early Bon Jovi was glam metal,anything after New Jersey isn't (but I like almost all their stuff).Skid Rows first album had glam metal elements in it,I use that as a excuse to put it in my top ten,but I agree their mostly straight up heavy metal to me.Guns 'n' Roses is in no way a glam metal band,they are the definition of a hard rock band (well they used to be at least).Motley Crue's early stuff (Too Fast For Love,Shout At The Devil) is more heavy metal with elements of glam,Theater of Pain and Girls,Girls,Girls are glam metal with elements of heavy metal,and Dr.Feelgood is really hard rock/glam metal.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Have you forgotten that glam metal also has a distinct sound? All glam metal bands have some things in common,like huge,anthem-like choruses,and shredding guitars,but I'm definitely not saying all glam metal bands sound the same.Alice Cooper had the "sound" of glam metal on Trash,Def Leppard may not of had the look of glam metal,but on Hysteria and Adrenalize they definitely had the sound of glam metal.Early Bon Jovi was glam metal,anything after New Jersey isn't (but I like almost all their stuff).Skid Rows first album had glam metal elements in it,I use that as a excuse to put it in my top ten,but I agree their mostly straight up heavy metal to me.Guns 'n' Roses is in no way a glam metal band,they are the definition of a hard rock band (well they used to be at least).Motley Crue's early stuff (Too Fast For Love,Shout At The Devil) is more heavy metal with elements of glam,Theater of Pain and Girls,Girls,Girls are glam metal with elements of heavy metal,and Dr.Feelgood is really hard rock/glam metal.

What? That doesn't make a band be considered glam because of that.

Also KISS are in no way shape or form glam in the tiniest bit.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I'm kind of embarassed to admit it, but I used to be a huge glam metal fan when I was like 13-14, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were my first couple concerts. I hardly ever listen to it anymore, as the whole genre was super cheesy with only a few good bands in a sea of cheap ripoff bands, but I still know all the bands and stuff. Plus, it was some of the stuff that got me into heavier bands. So, here it goes, in no order:

Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Dokken
Motley Crue
Ratt
Skid Row
Poison
Quiet Riot
Winger
Scorpions

Total nostalgia trip. I was just looking through a list of glam bands, and there were so many with just 1 or 2 good songs that could just never break through.
1/2 Forn
1/11 Mayhem/Revenge
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
What? That doesn't make a band be considered glam because of that.

Also KISS are in no way shape or form glam in the tiniest bit.
No,but glam bands tend to have those characteristics.And I agree that Kiss is not a glam metal band,but their stage show inspired many glam metal bands stage shows though.