Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland - September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014

Old 11-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

SerpentineVIVIVI's 2012 Ranks

So after getting my hands on the last album of my 'Albums to Get' list, I'd say it's time for me to post up the finalized list. There is the slight chance that something can abruptly change in the list, given that two albums on the list were listened to recently due to MPF's Year-End Review list. It is plausible that I can find something I hadn't heard before, so if that's the case I'll adjust accordingly. This is most likely the case with MPF and Maiden33's posts, if the latter decides to do such a thing this time around. My musical taste correlates the most with these two, but as I said earlier, it's just a chance.

I have my candidates on an Excel spreadsheet that I will screenshot at the end of the list for those to see. I'm going to be doing a rundown starting from the worst album of the year down to the best, with rankings out of 10 for each. A little description for each will suffice. I will also include a link to the strongest track on the album for those who want to listen in. This is very much in the vein of what Maiden33 did, and I happened to like that style of representation. Feel free to present your own opinions, if not that's fine as well. Let's begin.

52. Firewind - Few Against Many
Ever since Gus G. went to Ozzy, there is something that hasn't clicked as much. He is still an incredible player of course, and this isn't downright awful, but it has to be one of the weakest Firewind releases to date. Firewind are in a sort of Sonata Arctica-like decline, and it's unfortunate given the potential creative force behind the band. Shame. However, on a positive note, Gus' solos are not surprisingly stellar. If anything he has gotten even more technical and profound in his compositions. My favorite track has Apocalyptica involved, which does not shock me in the slightest. Beautiful track. Overall though, that is not nearly enough to save the album from my dissatisfied "Worst of 2012". Better luck next time.

"Edge Of A Dream" feat. Apocalyptica - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW8vnUlqgxs

3/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM

51. Sunstorm - Emotional Fire

So we got Joe Lynn Turner and a couple of other talented folk on this album, and it's AOR (album oriented rock), which I am sort of a sucker for. Alas this potential gem shines in some moments and lacks in others, making it a pretty typical AOR album. It has its catchy moments, good hooks, the works. But it gets lost in itself at points, becoming mundane and more often than not, repetitive. I suppose that's the ultimate flaw in this album; there's not much to really talk about. If one is a fan of this sort of stuff, it's worth it to listen to a few times. Shame too, being a huge fan of Joe Lynn Turner and most of his projects.

"Emotional Fire" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMT8djlTRCw

3.5/10

Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM

50. Schoolboy - The Science Project
The first of a few electronic releases on the list. Schoolboy is fairly new, not many people have heard of him. In the world of electronic, one has to do a lot of hunting to find some real quality (then again, metal nearly parallels that concept). I happened to find him via Pandora, and I was surprised at the quality compared to most 'unheard of' EDM artists. While this is certainly good, it's not incredible by any means. Tons of Skrillex worship in the drops, which is never a bad thing, however it lacks the original flavor. Some of the beats get mundane as well, and that's never a good thing when it's a 7 song EP. Nevertheless, it's a solid release that is hopefully a precursor for stronger material later on.

"Zombies Ate My Neighbours" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylixkwKARU

4/10

Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
In the world of electronic, one has to do a lot of hunting to find some real quality (then again, metal nearly parallels that concept).
Not really, unless you're aimlessly listening to a bunch of random artist it's pretty easy to find good ones in just about any genre. When looking for music of a specific genre I usually just check the rym charts or look for an essentials list.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Not really, unless you're aimlessly listening to a bunch of random artist it's pretty easy to find good ones in just about any genre. When looking for music of a specific genre I usually just check the rym charts or look for an essentials list.
'Quality' is not that easy to come by, at least for me. Maybe for solidified artists with a solid following, different story. They have presence and can be found more often. But relatively unknown artists? Much more likely to find a needle in a haystack, the haystack being the majority of crap found in most genres. Statistically speaking, the average time I spend looking for new bands, I get about 1 out of 15-20. That's a pretty bad percentage. But I'm totally fine with that, because if I have the will to instantly get the discography of a band I have listened to for a cumulative 3 minutes, there's definite quality in there. But that's me.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
That Guy

Well first I would like to say thank you for checking out my list and that my list has inspired at least two of the albums you are posting in this thread (I say at least in case there happens to me more, as I still have a fuckload of album to go through, not including my coveted Top 20).

And so far so good!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM

49. Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name

It doesn't need to be repeated that this band has been notoriously going on a down hill for quite a while now. To be frank, this album doesn't really change that trend. However, I wouldn't say that it made that trend worse. In simpler terms, it's about what I would have expected given Sonata Arctica's track record. There are some catchy songs, such as the single, and even a few others. Some ballads on there, notably "Alone In Heaven", are very well constructed and quite good. However, there are obviously weak tracks that just shouldn't be there (Shitload of Money?...) All in all, people give this too much shit because they haven't listened to it fully and expect another Ecliptica or Silence. Once the dust settles, this album is nowhere near as bad as people are saying although still leaves much to be desired. Not worth more than one or two listens, at best.

"I Have A Right" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49JbOKrPFAI

4/10
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 AM

48. Arthemis - We Fight

As the follow up to 2010's 'Heroes', I was expecting a strong album with the same catchy parts that got me hooked before. Unfortunately, this album was a big downer in that sense. Sure it's more of the fast, power/thrash metal, but it didn't have the same hook as the last album did, especially with the quality of the songwriting on the last album. There are decent tracks on here for sure, although it didn't leave a strong overall impression on me. The terrible lyrics, while not a defining factor by itself, never helps either. We will fight, we will fall? Grow up guys. Best track for me would have to be the ballad of the album. It just so happened to be the only track the lived up to my expectations of memorable melodies. Apparently it's not on YouTube, so the title track will have to do...

"We Fight" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7vboNP89o

4/10
Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

47. Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth

This is easily one of my biggest surprises of the year. Formation was a tank of an album, and I didn't even think twice of this album being even stronger than its predecessor. And with an album cover like that, how could you think otherwise? When Native Blood was released, I was mildly disappointed, but I've had plenty bad single releases followed by killer albums. However, this was a double whammy in that sense. This album just lacked the killer songs this time around. The opening track, which to be is the most important track on the album symbolically, wasn't anything like what I thought. The lyrics were abysmal. The music was uninspired and re-hashed. Arguably the most shocking finding for me was Sckolnick's 'meh' solos. On Formation, he hit gold with catchy yet technical solos. On this one, he obviously still brings his game, but not A game. This album is not to be completely discarded, namely due to "Cold Embrace" and "Throne Of Thorns". All in all though, I was left wanting a lot more. I'm well aware my opinion is in the minority, but it is what it is. Maybe next time.

"Throne of Thorns" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giOJU3SxH_s

4.5/10

Last edited by SerpentineVIVIVI; 11-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Cold Embrace and Throne of Thorns are awesome but so is the rest of the album. It's funny because for me this album is far superior to Formation. Do you like the title track?
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac