The Ballad of Lanky Rae
Beekeeper
Shelter
Bloodhound
Veil of the Forgotten
Wing of the Lord
-----
Never Know

I arrived at Red 7 about an hour after doors and a few minutes before the first local opener started. Unmothered kicked off the night and set the tone for a great show. They blew me away with how tight they sounded. There was something about the vocal delivery reminded me of Joe Duplantier, but that is not to say that they sound like Gojira. Metal Archives has Unmothered classified as atmospheric sludge metal, which is an apt description, but there are elements of black and doom metal in there as well. They proved themselves to be a killer local opener and I look forward to seeing Unmothered again, hopefully soon.

The next local opener band was originally supposed to be Skycrawler, but they had to drop at the last minute and Destroyer of Light stepped in to fill their place. As a sludge/doom band that just formed this year Destroyer of Light sound like theyíve been playing together for a while. The vocals were so-so, but the riffs carried the whole thing forward.

Next was San Francisco doom trio Castle. Their female bass player, Elizabeth Blackwell, handles the primary vocal duties with guitarist Mat Davis backing her up. There is definitely a traditional metal or classic rock influence that you can hear in Castleís song structure and hooks. I thought they sounded great and had lots of heads banging, mine included. I wasnít intimately familiar with their material before the show, so I donít have a setlist. But if other live reports Iíve read are correct Castle has been playing their most recent album Blacklands in itís entirety on this tour.

Finally the night closed out with Portlandís Witch Mountain. Theyíve gained quite a lot of buzz with the releases of last yearís South of Salem followed by the excellent Cauldron of the Wild this year. Witch Mountain was signed to Profound Lore for their most recent record and their doom with female vocals fit right in with the Canadian labelís roster. The excellent music is made even more powerful with vocalist Uta Plotkinís voice and lyrics. I had never seen them before, so I was a little concerned as to how well her vocals would hold up in a live setting and I was totally blown away. She sounded spot on like the record. Their set focused mainly on songs from Cauldron of the Wild, with one off of South of Salem and another from their self-titled EP that Scion put out last month. It may look like a short set, but it came to a solid 50 minutes and for a band at their level with the amount of material they have I didnít feel short changed one bit by Witch Mountainís strong performance. There arenít many dates left on this tour, but if you are a fan of doom Castle and Witch Mountain together is a great package not to be missed.
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Old 11-11-2012, 06:34 PM
N00B

Yeah Uta's vocals are just perfect live, it's amazing! And those riffs!

I saw Castle and Witch Mountain in June and two weeks ago and they were fantastic both times. The June show was particularly special since there only was about 8 to 10 people in attendance in a small bar so it really felt as if it was some kind of a small party with everyone hanging around after the show. Both bands are fun and nice people and I hope I get to see them again soon.

Also, Blacklands and Cauldron of the Wild are definitely in my top albums for 2012!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM
N00B

Seeing them tonight with Ides Of Gemini for free. Should be a good time.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

@ smear - Nice review. I had to miss this tour when it came through my neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago. The fact that moobys37 from this forum came to Clevetown all the way from Pittsburgh for the show made it even more disappointing that I couldn't be there. This review makes it even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Seeing them tonight with Ides Of Gemini for free. Should be a good time.
...and you. You are just a straight up fucking asshole.

These bands plus IoG for zero dollars? You suck.

Tags
castle, witch mountain