Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM
That Guy

151.) Flying Colors- Flying Colors

I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner, but hey it's here now. This is the best Mike Portnoy release of 2012. It has everything a Prog fan could want and a stellar lineup at that. 5 Excellent songwriters writing Prog, ah yeah! There is some heavy moments like All Falls Down, there is some very Alt Rock moments like Kayla and The Storm, and some epic Prog like Infinite Fire and Blue Ocean. It has it all and Real Prog fans, how could you not have this already?

9.5/10

152.) PostHumanBigBang- PostHumanBigBang

This is a great example of a band who will only get bigger and better from this point out. Another fantastic debut album from an unknown source, those are usually the best ones. This is a super unknown Progressive Metal Masterpiece that many people will not hear simply because no one knows about it. There are moments of Opeth, Periphery, Dream Theater, Faith No More, Fates Warning (Almost all clean vocals by the way). Give this one a shot, I know this is one I know I will feel responsible for you liking.

9.5/10

153.) God Seed- I begin

Remember when Gaahl quit Metal to be with his male Fashion designer companion? Well apparently he felt the need to be evil again with God Seed, his post Gorgoroth band. Its Black Metal for sure. a bit more Traditional Black Metal but still kinda brutal. I think if nothing else it is worth a novelty listen, I can't take the man seriously but the music is not bad.

6/10

154.) Tenacious D- Rize Of The Fenix

Let's be honest here, nothing beats the self titled debut from these guys. No matter how good they are, that album can't be topped. That said this has some of their best written songs, only some people will truly know about this as Tenacious D isn't as well accepted as they once were. Its a very funny album that again like the album above deserves at least a novelty listen. Many people have already forgotten about it, but it should be heard and enjoyed.

7/10

155.) Dragonforce- The Power Within

The most diverse Dragonforce album to date, if you listen real closely you can actually hear notes being played and possibly even be able to tell what riffs are being played. haha But seriously. This is a damn good album for as much as I make fun of Dragonforce, they are a fun band. About half the album is mid tempo and slower ballads, the rest of the album has them playing faster than ever before. They aren't reinventing the wheel, just reinventing how they use a metronome. haha But again I digress, its a fun killer album chalk full of fun Power Metal, check it out!

8/10

156.) Hurt- The Crux

One of my favorite Radio bands that never got the recognition they deserve. Well they were popular for about 6 weeks then dropped off the face of the mainstream Earth, and there is no reason for that, as they are a fantastic band. In my humble Opinion, if Pain Of Salvation came from America, they would be Hurt. My one complaint about this album is a bit heavy on the pop side instead of the Rock side, but they make up for it in other sections of them being very heavy and rockin'. Hurt is basically what I wish Pain Of Salvation would return to be, heavy, poppy and epic. I don't think Hurt will ever reach top 40 standards again sadly, but they deserve it and this album while not their best, is a great example of why.

8/10

157.) Ancients- Star Showers On The Euphrates

Here comes more Post Rock, although except for the final track, it's shorter more to the point Post Rock. The album increases in length as the album goes on (The final track is 23 minutes long) but it is quite an awesome adventure. Another album I never would have discovered if it wasn't for the radio show. It makes me so happy to hear bands like this kicking ass. Give this a listen, it is very damn good. If you want Godspeed You! Black Emperor, there's a tack for you, If you want God Is An Astronaut, there is a song for you, if you want Explosions In The Sky, again, there is a song for you.. If you ever wondered.....what the hell is Post Rock? This is the album for you. Get this and enjoy it now.

9.5/10

158.) Beyond Terror Beyond Grace- Nadir

This is another album that is really hard to categorize. It's Djenty but its very doomy. If Cloudkicker added Doom Metal and screams, I think that could be a fair assessment. While it does take a bit to make it though the album, it is quite good with some good songs. for a different apporach to Djent, check this out.

7/10

159.) Maserati- Maserati VII

This is an album I was not expecting to come out at all, hell I thought the band was over. in 2009, Drummer Jerry Fuchs fell to his death from a broken elevator. They released Pyramid Of The sun in 2010 with his final recordings, after that, I thought they were done. Low and behold, this year they have a new album, it sounds like nothing happened at all. It is classic Post Rock and Space Rock that they are known for, and they are still at their prime. Support this band and check this album out. It's awesome.

8/10

160.) Hammer Horde- Vinlander

There is Viking Metal like Amon Amarth. There is Viking Metal like Enslaved, and then there is Viking Metal like Hammer Horde. This is still very much heavy and Viking inspired, but there is much more of a pure Heavy Metal influence on this album. As if Iron Maiden started writing like Enslaved. while the production isn't the best, the songs more than make up for it. Its like you are caught int eh middle of a Nordic Viking War against their enemies. get some brew and some wenches and enjoy Hammer Horde!

8/10
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
154.) Tenacious D- Rize Of The Fenix[/b]

Let's be honest here, nothing beats the self titled debut from these guys. No matter how good they are, that album can't be topped. That said this has some of their best written songs, only some people will truly know about this as Tenacious D isn't as well accepted as they once were. Its a very funny album that again like the album above deserves at least a novelty listen. Many people have already forgotten about it, but it should be heard and enjoyed.
[b]
7/10
I would agree with this. It's ok but nothing special. I like the first two albums better.

Quote:
155.) Dragonforce- The Power Within

The most diverse Dragonforce album to date, if you listen real closely you can actually hear notes being played and possibly even be able to tell what riffs are being played. haha But seriously. This is a damn good album for as much as I make fun of Dragonforce, they are a fun band. About half the album is mid tempo and slower ballads, the rest of the album has them playing faster than ever before. They aren't reinventing the wheel, just reinventing how they use a metronome. haha But again I digress, its a fun killer album chalk full of fun Power Metal, check it out!

8/10
I'm happy people who weren't huge Dragonforce fans before are enjoying it, but I think this record is a masterpiece. After Valley of the Damned it is my favourite of theirs. The band sounds totally energized again and Marc Hudson did a great job replacing ZP.
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
N00B

Good to see you liked Ancients album. I still have to check it out but I'm sure it will be great if the dudes in *shels released it and say that it is good.

Not to be a genre nazi but I definitely wouldn't say Ides of Gemini sound remotely sludge. Probably more black influenced than sludge.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

God Seed released a real album and not a live one!? DAH-FUG!? Man... I am so out of the "New Releases" loop

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I would agree with this. It's ok but nothing special. I like the first two albums better.

I'm happy people who weren't huge Dragonforce fans before are enjoying it, but I think this record is a masterpiece. After Valley of the Damned it is my favourite of theirs. The band sounds totally energized again and Marc Hudson did a great job replacing ZP.
Agreed.

The best thing Dragonforce could have done is replace ZP and get some new energy into the band and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco44 View Post
Good to see you liked Ancients album. I still have to check it out but I'm sure it will be great if the dudes in *shels released it and say that it is good.

Not to be a genre nazi but I definitely wouldn't say Ides of Gemini sound remotely sludge. Probably more black influenced than sludge.
Yeah when you get the chance to check out the new Ancients, go for it.

I hear lots of Sludge in Ides Of Gemini, but I also hear Black Metal as well. Kinda combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
God Seed released a real album and not a live one!? DAH-FUG!? Man... I am so out of the "New Releases" loop

I'm just as surprised as you. haha
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
That Guy

161.) Worm Ouroboros- Come The Thaw

This is the thing when it comes to Post Rock that almost comes off as Funeral Doom Metal. it takes a loooooooooooong time for songs to kick in, if they ever do. This album (and really every album they have) while very good, is the kind of album that you put on when you need some music to fall asleep to at night. It doesn't kick in much at all, but its an oddly soothing experience. There is very little dynamics or variety on this album, but when you need a break from traditional Rock or Metal or Post music. Put this on. It puts you to sleep.....in a good way not because its boring way.

7/10

162.) Huntress- Spell Eater

Female Fronted Power Metal that incorporates a lot of thrash and black metal. Having seen them twice this year, once for Paganfest, the other opening for Dragonforce....They are either a hit or a big miss. the first time it was a big miss, during Dragonforce it was better. Much like Seven Kingdoms mentioned earlier in this thread, great on the album, not so much live. And having heard them live first, it kinda takes things away for me on the album, although it is quite good. Had I heard the album first I may feel differently. But don't avoid this album because of that, check it out, it's a fun listen.

7/10

163.) Master- The New Elite

Ah yes, Master. One of the Masters of Death Metal are back and as strong as ever. This has all you need in old school Death Metal. Hast heavy, thrashy Death Metal. Not the most original music of course but it fits the need for any real Death Metal fan. Old School Metal Fans, get this and enjoy it.

8/10

164.) Whitechapel- Whitechapel

This is one of the albums that caused one of my favorite bad quotes of 2012. "I want my ignorant Deathcore back." Whitechapel has been the one real Deathcore band that I have never hated. IS till think to this day This Is Exile is a fantastic album. This album is also very, very damn good. it's not just breakdowns and squeals. There is actually substance behind this album and where can you hear that in Deathcore otherwise? This is more of a Death METAL album more than anything and I'm totally cool with that. The br00tal kids hate this album from what I can tell, guys like me that care more of music than just breakdowns and squeals will enjoy this album much more. This is some good stuff.

7/10

165.) The Levitation Hex- The Levitation Hex

This is another album that is hard to categorize. It contains some Proggy passages, but it contains a lot of Death Metal and Hardcore style vocals over Thrash Metal. So let's go with that....Progressive Hardcore Death Thrash. haha. Its not an album that is easy to comprehend at first but if you give it a chance it is indeed worth it. it's nowhere near for everyone, but for those that are willing to give it a chance, You'll dig it.

6/10

166.) Cattle Decapitation- Monolith of Inumanity

Oh yes, the Death Metal and Grindcore band for the Ages, Cattle Decapitation. I dare say one of the best albums of the genre for the year. The album is very well produced and mix and the songs are top notched. everything else about them is well......well just look them up if you really wanna know more about them. the name alone should give you an idea. It's not an album for the faint of heart. It's brutal as all hell and the lyrics and even more specifically the song titles will show you that. If you need brutal, this is your album.

8/10

167.) In This Moment- Blood

Oh I have been waiting for this album to pop up.....It sucks so much! This is an example of a band that had so much potential that went out of their way to sell out with tits and singing about being a whore and not just taking away what made them good (a good mix of Thrash and Metalcore with female vocals) they added fucking electronics and autotune to the album. Not just on the single which has it the most, but the whole damn album. The only reason you should hear this album is if your girlfriend wants to bang to this album, even then she should be nice and give you some ear plugs. They turned into Five Finger Death Punch.....with titties.

2/10 (the two is only for 1 for one each boobie, because they are nice)

168.) Muse- The 2nd Law

And what are the odds this one would be next. I caught a lot of crap for this because I could only make it through the first half of the album before I gave up on it. And even after getting all that crap I went back and gave it m\one more full listen. It's like watching the transformers movies. When you watch the original cartoon movie, you think awesome, this is how it should sound. Then someone decides they need to be redesigned and remade 4 times (including the upcoming movie) and with each album you keep getting more and more depressed, the first movie breaks your heart, the second album steps on it, the third movie takes a hot steamy dump on it....you get my point. This is how I feel about Muse withe very album after Absolution. Why mess with success? that's what they did again and it gets progressively worse. The electronics involved this time are even more annoying than before. The lyrics are even more pretentious (and those usually never bother me) and the songs are just....eww no. So give me crap if you really have to about this one. i will disagree. Muse sucks now!

1/10

169.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth

BEST DAMN THRASH METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR! I know there are some people are disappointed in this album compared to The Formation Of Damnation. To me, this is the album I wanted. It was in my Top 20 for a good long time and its in my top 25 without question. Chuck Billy and Co. are again at the top of their game. I love it so much. Pure unadulterated Thrash!

9.5/10

170.) Jazzkamikaze- The Return of Jazzkamikaze

Jazz, Alternative Rock, Math Rock and a bit of Post Rock. In sense kinda like The Reign Of Kindo, although done differently. Unlike their last album this one is purely instrumental, which alienated some fans. for me, I love it just the same because it focuses on the music more. And it's great stuff. Jazz fans will love it, Prog fans would love it, Rock fans in general with an open mind can appreciate it. If you are in need for something completely different, please check this out. its so well worth your listen.

9.5/10
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 PM
N00B

Quote:
In This Moment- Blood

Oh I have been waiting for this album to pop up.....It sucks so much! This is an example of a band that had so much potential that went out of their way to sell out with tits and singing about being a whore and not just taking away what made them good (a good mix of Thrash and Metalcore with female vocals) they added fucking electronics and autotune to the album. Not just on the single which has it the most, but the whole damn album. The only reason you should hear this album is if your girlfriend wants to bang to this album, even then she should be nice and give you some ear plugs.

2/10 (the two is only for 1 for one each boobie, because they are nice)
Agreed I hated this album I listened to it only once and deleted it. and their last album was very good.

Also glad to see I am not the only who likes the new whitechapel.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Your thoughts on the new Whitechapel mirror mine exactly I would give it an 8 instead of a 7. That album is by far their best imo. They have progressed so much as a band (especially in the songwriting department) since Somatic Defilement it's almost mind-boggling.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:

162.) Huntress- Spell Eater[/b]

Female Fronted Power Metal that incorporates a lot of thrash and black metal. Having seen them twice this year, once for Paganfest, the other opening for Dragonforce....They are either a hit or a big miss. the first time it was a big miss, during Dragonforce it was better. Much like Seven Kingdoms mentioned earlier in this thread, great on the album, not so much live. And having heard them live first, it kinda takes things away for me on the album, although it is quite good. Had I heard the album first I may feel differently. But don't avoid this album because of that, check it out, it's a fun listen.

7/10
It's refreshing to hear somebody not bash this. Because of their image (ie: Jill Janus) it seems like a lot of people hate them for the sake of hating them. I don't think they are particularly brillant, but Jill is a good vocalist and the black metal influences are pretty cool. The real problem with the album is that the songwriting isn't that consistent. There are a few killer songs and then quite a few average ones.

Quote:
169.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth[/b]

BEST DAMN THRASH METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR! I know there are some people are disappointed in this album compared to The Formation Of Damnation. To me, this is the album I wanted. It was in my Top 20 for a good long time and its in my top 25 without question. Chuck Billy and Co. are again at the top of their game. I love it so much. Pure unadulterated Thrash!

[b]9.5/10
This is another surprise to me. I actually really enjoyed this one and would give it somewhere between 8.5-9, but this is a pretty big statement. I would say there's at least 1 better thrash album, maybe 2 depending on how much you like thrash. I won't reveal them though, because I'll be doing my list in about a month.
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

The Testament album rules.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac