Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM
N00B

Napalm Death -- Portland, OR -- November 11th, 2012

Venue: Hawthorne Theater
Souce: Me

The venue was packed tonight, I had been here once before for Overkill back in ’08 but the place looked like it was filled to capacity for this show. Same setlist as was reported earlier except several songs were cut, I guess because Napalm Death was not the closing act. Can’t Pay Won’t Play, Unchallenged Hate, Breed To Breathe, Human Garbage and inexcusably Instinct to Survival were not played. Pretty lame since I thought co-headliners kept the same set length and just changed up who closed the show.

The word that best sums up this concert is disappointing. It pains me to say it for a group that I have listened to for over 20 years but this concert was bad on two levels.

Item #1: the setlist - I realize I’m an old man who mostly wants to hear the old stuff but the lack of old songs was inexcusable. Not counting the 5 second songs, there were only three songs in the set from the classic first three albums, one of which was under a minute (Deceiver). I might be more than a little angry that I have seen Napalm Death twice live now and haven’t seen Instinct of Survival either time.

Item #2: 4 piece – It took me half the concert to realize that even the new material didn’t sound as good as I remembered. I finally realized that there weren’t enough people on the stage. ND needs to be a 5 piece, just compare the 1989 Nottingham and 1990 classic Live Corruption video to compare. I don’t know when they lost a member but this just didn’t measure up to the last time I saw ND on the Smear Campaign tour a few years back. That was an outstanding concert, this just wasn’t.

Since I had already paid for my ticket, I stuck around to see Municipal Waste, which I think I enjoyed more despite never hearing any of their music. This was the first of three concerts in three days for me, hopefully the next two (Epica and Rush) will be better.
11-21 Judas Priest

Last edited by Wrecking Crew; 11-12-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added tags
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
...the dead are among us!

They became a 4 piece when Jesse Pintado (RIP) left to reform Terrorizer. In like 04 maybe?

It would be so good if they did like a 2 set evening with tour spanning their career, but that just doesn't seem like a grind thing to do.
8/25 - BAT / Shitfucker ?
8/30 - Morbid Saint / Vektor
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
They became a 4 piece when Jesse Pintado (RIP) left to reform Terrorizer. In like 04 maybe?

It would be so good if they did like a 2 set evening with tour spanning their career, but that just doesn't seem like a grind thing to do.
They did something like that at MDF this year, where they played at least one song off every album. In all honesty, they were better there than in Chicago. Louder sound, better set, crazier crowd, plus it was outside.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

If those songs get cut off from my show ill be so devastated.
10/31-King Diamond
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
#Controversial

They don't need another member, they need to rehearse more and get a drummer who doesn't rely on triggers while still failing

I've never liked how the current lineup plays the old songs but I at least expected the new ones to sound good. Their set was still fun but it was sloppy as fuck, grind or not. There's a difference between being sloppy because of the sheer energy you're putting into the music (see FETO lineup) and just being off.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
They did something like that at MDF this year, where they played at least one song off every album. In all honesty, they were better there than in Chicago. Louder sound, better set, crazier crowd, plus it was outside.
I hear you there man.

The Seattle date was a bit of a disappointment too. The sound was TERRIBLE, the triggers kept double hitting, and they played an insanely short set since our show was combined with the GWAR show. I was super bummed and left the venue very unhappy since they were the main band I went to see.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
I hear you there man.

The Seattle date was a bit of a disappointment too. The sound was TERRIBLE, the triggers kept double hitting, and they played an insanely short set since our show was combined with the GWAR show. I was super bummed and left the venue very unhappy since they were the main band I went to see.
10/31-King Diamond

Tags
napalm death