Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Buahahahahaha

Lethargy is another great band!
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Dormant - Beneath the Mighty Oak

Here's an album for all you atmospheric black/folk metal lovers out there. This album is a true display of dark, twisted, disturbing dissonance. One thing that I think is really cool about this album is that it gets even more creepy and fucked up as the album goes on. It begins with calm, soothing acoustic guitars, and begins morphing into a FAR more sinister beast. Everything just seems to creep up on you and throws you into a spiraling, nightmarish abyss. In between all of these frightening surges of dissonance, however, are some more gloomy, moody sections that almost feel like a calm between the storm. These calm sections seem to recall Agalloch, but Dormant present their style in a much more chaotic and dissonant fashion, almost like Gorguts did with Obscura, only Dormant do it through atmospheric black/folk metal rather than technical death metal. All of this ties together to create an insane, off-kilter work that stands out in their style of metal.

This album is definitely something that you will have to experience for yourself. Recommended for those of you who enjoy dark, disturbing, atmospheric black or folk metal.

Black Ashes
Ever More Darkening Earth
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony

Brutal Death Metal doesn't get much more intense than this. Hailing from Columbia, Amputated Genitals offer nothing more than skull crushing brutal death metal in the vein of bands like Disgorge, Cerebral Bore, and Gorgasm. This band may not be the most original, but they make up for it with the sheer intensity and songwriting. There are plenty of meaty, crunchy riffs scattered about this album, with a pinch of technicality for good measure. There's also a few slams scattered throughout the record, but they aren't as frequent as say, Devourment. The vocals are extremely brutal, consisting of grunts and inhales. This is all backed up by some of the most insane percussive battery you'll ever hear.

If you want your thirst for brutal death metal quenched, Amputated Genitals will be right up your alley.

Vaginal Skin Grind Vomit
Charred Neighborhood
Chessman Red Monday
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony

Brutal Death Metal doesn't get much more intense than this. Hailing from Columbia, Amputated Genitals offer nothing more than skull crushing brutal death metal in the vein of bands like Disgorge, Cerebral Bore, and Gorgasm. This band may not be the most original, but they make up for it with the sheer intensity and songwriting. There are plenty of meaty, crunchy riffs scattered about this album, with a pinch of technicality for good measure. There's also a few slams scattered throughout the record, but they aren't as frequent as say, Devourment. The vocals are extremely brutal, consisting of grunts and inhales. This is all backed up by some of the most insane percussive battery you'll ever hear.

If you want your thirst for brutal death metal quenched, Amputated Genitals will be right up your alley.

Vaginal Skin Grind Vomit
Charred Neighborhood
Chessman Red Monday
I dig this
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Aspid - Extravasation

Here's another great album in the progressive/technical thrash realm. It's almost like a German version of Sadus, or maybe what Kreator would sound like if they pursued a more technical sound. The songs tend to revolve around winding, jarring time signature, built on top of tons and tons of those things we all love: riffs. The songs are built around complex webs of riffing, and yet it never feels like they just threw the riffs together just to have a lot of riffs. Most of them are actually very catchy and headbang worthy, and are coupled with plenty of shredding, wailing solos. Another thing to note is the incredible skill of their bass player, which explains the Sadus comparison. This guy's playing is very audible throughout the whole record, boobing and weaving in between the riff assault and giving this album sort of a bouncy feel.

If you're into tech-thrash in the vein of Vektor or Sadus, you will find much to enjoy in this album.

Where the Night
Intro/It Came
Give Me (Play for A Ballet)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 AM

Dissonance In Design - Neurotransmitting an Epiphany

Dissonance In Design are a progressive/technical/melodic deathcore band from Colorado, and I can already see you guys blowing them off because of the deathcore tag. Let me assure you, these guys aren't like your typical deathcore band, because they actually keep the -core to a minimum . The breakdowns are actually short and sparse for a deathcore band. I almost would rather just call them technical death metal with a bit of -core influence. This album is chock full of catchy, melodic riffs and solos that are very technical, but they all seem to flow together and have a distinct groove (kind of like what Gorod does). There's even some 80's heavy metal parts that almost remind me of Arghoslent of all bands! The drumming is also very skillful, and does a great job of making all of the riffs stick together, but he also gets plenty of chances to shine as well. The vocals are competant growls and screams, nothing too out of the ordinary, but solid nonetheless. As I stated before, the songs seem to wind and flow, something you don't see a lot in deathcore bands who try to make their songs as tight and constricted as possible.

In a genre that is often hated for being generic and breakdown heavy, Dissonance in Design stand out above the heap with an original, creative twist on the genre.

Dreamstate
Dionysiac
The American Reality

Last edited by AnataFan4Life; 11-08-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

^They were fucking awesome!
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King

Here's one for you funeral doom lovers out there. Wormphlegm play, slow, dark, agonizing funeral death/doom with a black metal style production. Each lead rings like a cavernous scream. Each riff pulverizes you with its crushing tone. Every growl and scream sounds as if the singer was actually being tortured while they recorded this. Everything drones and lingers, making sure it hits you, and hits you hard. This album is truly the essence of pain, and by pain, i'm not talking about mental anguish that is expressed in a more sorrowful manner like with, say, Esoteric. By pain, I mean being kidnapped by a psychopath, locked in a dark basement, and beaten with a hammer while having your eyeballs slowly ripped out of their sockets kind of pain. This album was pulled out of the darkest, deepest abyss you could possibly think of, and the beast that was lurking within this album is unleashed as soon as you press play.

If you like bands such as Esoteric, Loss, Evoken, and Thergothon, you will enjoy this, but I don't even know if those bands will prepare you for what awaits you with this album.

Tomb of the Ancient King
Return of the Ice Age and the Tortyrant
Epejumalat Monet Tesse Muinen Palveltin Caucan ja Lesse
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM

NoMeansNo - Wrong

Now here's a true oxymoron: progressive punk! Like most people, I didn't hear about this band until Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters fame brought them up. Anyways, these guys manage to take complex, jazz-influenced musicianship, and blend it into raw, old-school punk rock. There's plenty of weird time signatures and jazzy chords interspersed with raw blasts of pure punk. Some of the songs are actually pretty long for punk rock (one song actually reaches the six minute mark!) As for the vocals, imagine what Mike Patton would sound like if he were in a punk band. Sounding awesome yet? One instrument that is really prevalent is the bass guitar. This guy has some serious skill on the bass, and gives the songs a nice, bouncy feel. Did I mention the songs on here are REALLY fucking catchy?

These guys have taken progressive rock and punk rock, two styles that normally wouldn't fit together at all, and mixed them seamlessly. If you are a fan of either of those two styles, or just good music in general, give this album a spin!

It's Catching Up
The End of All Things
All Lies
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Buahahahahaha

I recently discovered NoMeansNo. They're awesome!
10/30 KING DIAMOND