Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
The new Nile is just decent. Would have been completely mediocre if Karl Sanders wasn't such a fucking great guitar player. Easily the worst album of their career.
See, this is what I'm talking about. All these extreme comments. Jesus Fucking Christ.

To those who haven't listened yet (or who are waiting based on comments like these), don't be discouraged. It's a damn decent album - just maybe not their best.
I finally checked out the new Nile and I wanted to reply to this post specifically. I have to agree with mastodon421 here. That's not to say the album is bad, but it is the weakest link amongst Nile's discography. Now as much as I hoped that they would make another album on par with Those Whom the Gods Detest, I didn't expect it to happen. However, I also didn't expect to be let down like this. There are a lot of elements on this album that caused my disappointment, so I'll just highlight the main ones. Firstly, the lack of deep gutturals struck me as odd. That was really a staple of their sound, and while they are still there, they only pop up on occasion. But with that being said, the raspy mid-range vocals have grown on me a lot since I first listened to "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased."

Moving on, the second part that disappointed me was the production. Those Whom the Gods Detest was very clean, but it also retained that immensely heavy sound. In comparison, At the Gate of Sethu just sounds flat. It's not a huge issue, but it does effect the album quite a bit. Lastly, what disappointed me the most was the lack of great songs. There are a couple that stand out, but they don't come close to blowing me away. As a stand alone album, At the Gate of Sethu is still very good, but it doesn't reach the bar that Nile has set with their previous releases.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

My God, Aerosmith's Music From Another Dimension! is a big letdown for me.

Sounds like JPP with vaguely incorporated elements from Pump, way too many ballads, way too many songs with Love in the title and Beautiful is just wtf?

I do like Street Jesus, Oh Yeah (despite the terrible lyrics) Loveralot & Out Go The Lights.

Last edited by MetalIsArt; 11-06-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

And that's some great ass cover.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I finally checked out the new Nile and I wanted to reply to this post specifically. I have to agree with mastodon421 here. That's not to say the album is bad, but it is the weakest link amongst Nile's discography. Now as much as I hoped that they would make another album on par with Those Whom the Gods Detest, I didn't expect it to happen. However, I also didn't expect to be let down like this. There are a lot of elements on this album that caused my disappointment, so I'll just highlight the main ones. Firstly, the lack of deep gutturals struck me as odd. That was really a staple of their sound, and while they are still there, they only pop up on occasion. But with that being said, the raspy mid-range vocals have grown on me a lot since I first listened to "The Fiends Who Come to Steal the Magick of the Deceased."

Moving on, the second part that disappointed me was the production. Those Whom the Gods Detest was very clean, but it also retained that immensely heavy sound. In comparison, At the Gate of Sethu just sounds flat. It's not a huge issue, but it does effect the album quite a bit. Lastly, what disappointed me the most was the lack of great songs. There are a couple that stand out, but they don't come close to blowing me away. As a stand alone album, At the Gate of Sethu is still very good, but it doesn't reach the bar that Nile has set with their previous releases.
Probably the first time this sentenced has been uttered in the history of the board

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
N00B

Recently listened to the new Wintersun and have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's bloated, cheesy, and overproduced like I thought but it still puts a smile on my face. Disappointed in the absence of guitars but it's so damn catchy especially the title track. Only 30 minutes of material but that's probably just the right amount of Wintersun that should be listened to at one time at this point.

A few other albums I've heard and enjoyed recently include Daylight Dies, Evoken, Eis, Bison BC, Converge, and Neurosis.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Rats off to ya

Once I get power back i'm gonna check out the new Dragged Into Sunlight, maybe the new Bad Brains (though it will most likely be terrible), and the new Soundgarden once it leaks. Once I've heard those I think i'll be able to start finalizing my end of the year list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Probably the first time this sentenced has been uttered in the history of the board
Off the top of my head the only really ridiculous thing you've ever said on here was that the new Baroness sounded like Neutral Milk Hotel.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 AM
We're dying on the inside

I'll echo the "this Nile album is the worst Nile album but hey, it's still a Nile album" sentiment. It's probably in my top 20, but I do have huge gripes with it. Hoping the next one sounds more like Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest, which are goddamn all-time classics of death fucking metal.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I'll echo the "this Nile album is the worst Nile album but hey, it's still a Nile album" sentiment. It's probably in my top 20, but I do have huge gripes with it. Hoping the next one sounds more like Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest, which are goddamn all-time classics of death fucking metal.

I agree.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Off the top of my head the only really ridiculous thing you've ever said on here was that the new Baroness sounded like Neutral Milk Hotel.
To be fair, I thought Green had somewhat of a Bon Iver/Mumford and Sons vibe. But then again, I don't really listen to those bands that much. In any case, I do like Green a lot.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

New Green Day leaked.