downset. -- Albany, NY -- July 24th 2014
Megadeth -- Metaldays Festival, Slovenia -- July 25th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Tinley Park, IL-- July 24th, 2014
Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014

Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Disney buys Lucasfilm

So, what are the opinions here? I can see good and bad.

Good:
-obviously, more movies will get made. And I've been of the opinion for years that George Lucas is an absolute moron (see. 1997 extended editions, Jar Jar Binks) so hopefully someone decent will get put in charge and make a really good movie. You can say what you want about it being Disney, but haven't they made some really stellar movies with the Marvel license?

Bad:
-the product will get watered down, big time. New movies will be great, but new movies every two or three years will get real old fast.
-my biggest problem is the merchandising. There was already so much Star Wars crap out there, but now there's just going to be overload. Cross promotion stuff is especially going to make me sick. I'm prepared to see a LOT of Mickey Mouse dressed as Han Solo, Donald Duck as Darth Vader, and Goofy with a lightsaber. That cow is going to get MILKED.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Well, being someone who goes to Disneyland a lot, I've seen a LOT of Disney related Star Wars merch. They have a whole set of vinyl Mickey versions of characters. I think this is going to be a great thing. George Lucas is no longer in control of the movies. I think that is a good thing because he really didn't do the best job on Episodes 1 - 3. They were good, but could have been a lot better. I think people are overly freaking out just cause its Disney. Do they not realize Disney put out The Avengers? That was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen. Disney know's the people have high expectations for the new trilogy, so they are going to put out an amazing movie. If they put out something lame, then not many people will buy it or the merch that goes with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I read they are already planning on 6 more movies.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I'm not worried...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Do they not realize Disney put out The Avengers? That was seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Primarily for this reason.

I'm fucking glad it's out of Lucas's hands. He's been the prime example of what happens when an artist has too much control over his work, and the fact that such a thing has even come to exist is even more offensive.

Disney needs to get the most bitter, jaded, antisocial George Lucas haters there are and have them be advisors on future projects. After all, George thinks Empire Strikes Back is the weakest of the original trilogy. Therefore every decision made by disney he decries will likely be a step in the right direction.

Also, Disney seems to have figured out that a franchise will sell, but a well-written, well-directed project will sell bigtime. Avengers proved that more than anything.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

This is the best fucking thing that's ever happened to the Star Wars franchise. And I'll just say this once: Disney, if you put out the original, unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray, I will give you ALL OF MY FUCKING MONEY.

The most interesting thing I've heard about the new movies is that they'll be entirely new stories. Interesting because there's an absolute shit-ton of (canon) expanded universe Star Wars stuff out there that they could pick from if they wanted.

As for the "cross-promotional merchandise," I think you're letting your imagination get the best of you. It's not like they started putting Mickey Mouse ears on Captain America when they bought Marvel.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Hey, I hope you're right. I haven't read anything about what they plan to do aside from making more movies. But if they plan to use totally different characters and whatnot, that's great. One of the things I love about Knights of the Old Republic was their ability to use the technology and lore but not be tied down by characters that were already established. That's what I hope for with any new movies.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
This is the best fucking thing that's ever happened to the Star Wars franchise. And I'll just say this once: Disney, if you put out the original, unaltered trilogy on Blu-Ray, I will give you ALL OF MY FUCKING MONEY.
Everyone's begging for this, honestly, why are you people even asking? It's business suicide for Disney NOT to do it. When they put it out, I wouldn't be surprised if they make over a billion dollars from it. Even if all of George's alterations were universally loved by the fans to the point where they made the unaltered films look inferior from an artistic perspective, they'd still do it. If I was head of Disney and George put some kind of "you will not 'un-alter' the trilogy" clause in the sale contract, I'd tell him to go fuck himself, or at least hack a billion off the deal.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 PM

I actually sort of saw something coming a few months ago. When they started releasing the movies in 3D in February it reminded me of an interview or artical or something I read in 1999 from Lucas (or someone, it doesn't matter) that said that the rereleased the original trilogy in 1997 was a way to test the waters and see if the intrest in Star Wars was still there. It was so that factored into the decision to make the prequel trilogy. I'm sure rereleasing them in 3D played a small part in seeing if the intrest in Star Wars is still there, because the intrest hasn't wained as much now as it had fifteen years ago.

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I'm not really sure what to think of this, tbh.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Star Wars Battlefront 3? Maybe???????