Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
63.) Fear Factory- The Industrialist[/b]

As the name suggest, this is the most Industrial sounding Fear Factory album in quite some time. Its a good album. I'm quite bummed that there isn't real drums on this album. But I am glad they have a real drummer live, or else that would have been incredibly lame. Musically, I do like Mechanize a lot more, but The Industrialist. The one turn off on this album more then anything is the instrumental 9 minute final track that goes absolutely nowhere. Much like Strapping Young Lad's Alien where Info Dump was just synths and guitar distortion and feedback. Maybe I'm just missing out on something? But it is a good album sans those aspects, Fear factory fans should love this album!
5/10
REALLY!? Wow, I don't think I'll rush into checking this one out then.

On a different note, nice list!!!... even though I don't know a majority of these bands

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
REALLY!? Wow, I don't think I'll rush into checking this one out then.

On a different note, nice list!!!... even though I don't know a majority of these bands

Yeah I bummed about it. Instead of getting a session drummer, Burt and Dino just used a drum machine.

That is why I make this list every year, to show off bands people may not know about yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM
That Guy

71.) Towards Darkness- Barren

Funeral Death Metal...It's slow, it's heavy, it's depressing as all hell; but when it's done right its one of the most rewarding musical genres to enjoy. It's like watching Breaking Bad, there are parts of it that are quite slow, but it always builds up and the impact moments take your breath away. That's what Towards Darkness has done with barren. it's only 4 songs, 3/4th of them over the 10 minute mark. It's a hard genre to get into, especially if you have A.D.D. But that said if you take the time it is so rewarding, and that's how I feel about Barren. Give it a fair chance and ti will be worth it!

8/10

72.) Fornorst Arnor- The Death Of A Rose

If Opeth kept up in the style of Still Life, it would be this album. Its a very depressing Progressive Death Metal album with a major Opeth vibe. Along with acoustic passages, death inspired lyrics *as the album title suggests* and overall a hauntingly beautiful soundscape. It is a great album for fans of this style, which I know I am, and it should please anyone who misses this era of Opeth.

8/10

73.) Behold...The Arctopus- Horrorsension

With their 2nd full length, the masters of WTF? Metal are back. Every single song is utterly and baffling insane. Anyone who can cover a song off this album is definitely a master of their craft. The songs like a lot of Math Metal and Avant Garde Metal is quite hard to get into if you aren't already a fan of the genre, but if you can get into it.....WOAH! Again this is another album that's fits in the "Can't listen to it all in one sitting" category, but a couple songs here and there definitely fits the mood. Did I mention how insane this album is?

7/10

74.) Shadows Fall- Fire From The Sky

For the last couple Shadows Fall albums I was kinda lost. They aren't bad albums but not really my bag either. Shadows fall won me back over again with Fire From The Sky. It's back to being a pure Thrash/Metalcore album which is what made me a fan in the first place. Considering they are currently on a headlining tour for this album, I hope it will win them back some fans that have been gone for a while as they deserve to be playing to good size crowds and kicking ass everywhere in the country. Needless to say if you miss the days of The Art Of Balance, they are back and in greater numbers!

8/10

75.) Krisiun- Arise From Blackness

A very damn Raw and Groovin' Death Metal album from one of my favorite Death Metal bands. as much brutality is on this album it is balanced out with a lot of groove in the right spots, some flamenco guitars and even some speed punk vocals near the end. It is a fantastic fast and heavy album that any real Death metal fan will love. And once again it is very, very raw. Gotta love it.

9/10

76.) The Darkness- Hot Cakes

A not so guilty pleasure of mine is The Darkness. They write badass Rock And Roll. When I heard they got back together, I couldn't have been happier because I know they have it in them to keep writing badass Rock and Roll. Hot Cakes is no different. This is the current band from England that should be selling out arenas in the states, not Muse (I'll get to them later). Its very solid all the way through and every song just as catchy in a good way. When you need a break from Prog and Metal, check this one out! It fits the mood for any time you want a good time!

9/10

77.) Aborted- Global Flatline

Absolutely Brutal Death Metal and Grindcore. Aborted is definitely not a band for the faint of heart. This album in particular feels like a global assault from start to finish, just as the title implies. Amongst all the brutality shown, there is a lot of melodies as well, which is not something you'd normally expect from this genre. It fits the mood if you want some controlled chaos, while killing zombies and stuff. haha

7/10

78.) Meldrum- Lifer

The last album from guitarist, Michelle Meldrum. This was written all the way back in 2008 before she was sent to the hospital and found a cystic growth on her brain that inevitably killed her. Lifer was finally finished and released this year in tribute to her, and it is a fantastic female fronted band. Gene Hoglan, in one of his many albums he recorded this year, played on this doing a fantastic job as well. It is a very groovy Heavy Metal album, SYL meets Motorhead, more aligning with Motorhead. Make sure to give this album a good listen to hear that awesomeness that was Meldrum.

7/10

79.) Siamese Fighting Fish- Breathe: See: Move

Another great Alternative Prog band that HIGHLY deserves attention. Like another great band that will get mentioned soon enough, For The Imperium, Siamese Fighting Fish is the kind of bands that stays in a catchy, light hearted style while staying heavy and exploring new territories. I love it when a band can explore different genres while still having a core element (core as in a central sound, not "core" as in hardcore, deathcore, etc). THis is a very fun listen and deserves a lot of attention. Check this stuff out!

9/10

80.) My Dying Bride- A Map Of All Our Failures

One of the Masters of Doom Metal are back in My Dying Bride. As they do on every album, they prove they know how to write a dark, beautiful Doom Metal album. While with most Doom Metal there is no real diversity in the sound, it flows together quite nicely and always fits when you need some Dark depressing Metal playing through your speakers. Give it a spin, it feels very underrated already!

8/10
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM
That Guy

81.) Kristoffer Gildenlow- Rust

I had no idea that Kristoffer was going to keep going with music after he left Pain Of Salvation, which I am still very, very bummed about. This is about the most mellow album that I have enjoyed (outside Post Rock) in a very long time. Like his brother Daniel, Kristoffer has a very soothing voice, but unlike Pain Of Salvation, this is 100% laid back, Mellow, relaxing and Folky. Its the kind of album you put on just as you are about to head for bed. there are those that feel the dimension of POS changed after Kristoffer left, but this album proves that Daniel really was in charge the whole time and would have went into the direction they did anyways. Kristoffer pulled a Ritchie Blackmore on us, and that's totally cool with me.

7/10

82.) Lacuna Coil- Adrenaline

WHY DO I KEEP TRYING WITH THESE GUYS?!?!?!?! Every album I get suckered in a by a song or two that is ok, followed by such mediocrity/ It starts off good then just dies off very quickly, like every other Lacuna Coil album since they got recognition. It depresses the hell out of me because I know they are capable of so much more but choose not to. I will fall for it again on the next album again I'm sure. Oh well....

3/10

83.) Call Me No One- Last Parade

Who says good Hard Rock is dead? It's not, it just smells funny! haha Badass Radio hard Rock is out there but most stations choose not to accept it in favor of well...crap! Call me No One is a side project of Sevendust that is just so damn killer. It's very catchy, heavy, and simply awesome from start to finish. Its not groundbreaking Rock or anything of the likes its just solid Hard Rock that deserves to be heard check it out and keep good Radio Hard Rock alive.

9/10

84.) Dragony- Legends

Symphonic Power Metal is usually really one sided and has two speeds. Metal and Ballad. And that is the case here as well. If you are a symphonic Power Metal fan, there is nothing new here but it fits in with all Symphonic Power Metal that you love and enjoy. the epic symphony, the speed, the heroic vocals. It's got it all. I think once the band develops and releases more album there will be more imagination behind it, but this is good stuff.

6/10

85.) Vesperian Sorrow- Stormwinds Of Ages

Symphonic (Well Synth driven anyways) Death Metal This is surprisingly good stuff. It mainly focuses on the Symphonic side of Metal with Death Metal just a tad out of the foreground. There is also moments of Black Metal as well but I believe a lot of that has to do with the Symphonic moments I'm not too familiar with the combination presented before me, but it really fits well together. If you need the wild combination of Synth Driven Death Metal, go forth and check this out!

7/10

86.) The Pilgrim- Misery Wizard

Oh yes, another fantastic Doom Metal album. There is a very heavy Sleep vibe on this album and of course mixed with Sabbath. The one good feature on this album compared to most in the genre is that the vocals are for the most part clean and understandable, which makes it a lot more fun to listen to. I really advise checking this one out for some standout Stoner Doom Metal.

8/10

87.) Stolen Babies- Naught

Stolen Babies is one of the finest Avant Garde Metal bands going today. Naught definitely is more in the Metal vein while keeping all the Vaudeville and Circus styles they are known for. It is a fantastic album full of dynamics and great songwriting. Its very understandable why Devin Townsend wanted them on the DTP/Katatonia tour. Get it!

9/10

88.) Slash- Apocalyptic Love

Myles Kennedy has taken over for full vocal duties in Slash's live band and on this album. He is my favorite hard Rock singer currently going and I dare say one of my favorite singers ever. But this album is absolutely Cock Rock. It's not meant to be one of those albums that is meant to deep or though provoking. It's from the guitarist of Guns N Roses, its going to be a Cock Rock album full of cheese and 80's flavor. And that is ok. It does kinda knock it down for me in the rock rock category, but it is a good album none the less. Check it out for a fun Rock album.

7/10

89.) Pig Destroyer- Book Burner

What is there to say about Pig Destroyer that hasn't already been said? they are one of the finest Grindcore bands to ever exist. Book Burner is actually one of the more, if not the most accessible Pig Destroyer albums. There is a lot of dynamics for a Grindcore band that's not just random noise and blast beats. There are actually songs on this one! haha While not my favorite album of the genre to come out, its is very badass and deserves a good listen. If you wanted a reason to enjoy Grindcore, Book Burner should be able to help you out.

8/10

90.) Eye Empire- Impact

Simply Put I love these guys. it is a Hard Rock Supergroup featuring members of Sevendust and Submersed. Its very though provoking Hard Rock. My favorite thing about this album besides the over all hard Rock vibe is the life dynamics, it goes from depressing to happy and everything in between, and fires on all cylinders. It's a very impressive album and I can see these guys making far if they choose to pursue it more then just a side project.

8/10

91.) Prong- Carved Into Stone

Prong has been one of my favorite bands for quite some time. They are much more then Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. They are very badass Groove Metal and a very damn technical band at that. Carved into Stone is just a fun, killer album that hits very pinpoint you'd want from Prong, and I'd say one of their most well balanced albums to date. Enjoy this one, it's so very rare for a band to be around as long as Prong and write this damn good of an album!

9/10

92.) Grave- Endless Procession Of Souls

One of my favorite things about Grave is that they are not about being the fastest, or most technical, or the most brutal Death Metal band. They are about wring damn good Death metal songs, and that is why they have always been one of my favorite Death Metal bands. There is zero need for blast beats in Grave. Its Groovin' it's heavy, it's damn good songs. And it's exactly what I want in a death metal album. Great songwriting and Dynamics. While not my favorite Death Metal album of the year, it's super close.

9/10

93.) Naglfar- Teras

While this is an album in particular I haven't been able to give my full attention to, I do know this is one seriously killer Black Metal album. The production is nice and very tight, the musicality and songwriting is awesome and it should suit the needs of all Black Metal fans out there. it has the right atmosphere for all subgenres of Black Metal. Gotta love it!

7/10

94.) Suspyre- Suspyre

Prog Metal fans rejoice! Suspyre is back and kicking more ass than ever before. If Symphony X didn't just focus on the Metal side about them, they would be what Suspyre are now. It's an outstanding Prog Metal album that I don't get why it's not getting more praise. Maybe in due time...I Hope

8/10

95.) Bonded By Blood- The Aftermath

Int he Aftermath of yet another lineup change, I think BOB has finally found their sound. it's very much a Thrash Metal album, but it's a bit more as well. there are some slower paced songs and Mid-Tempo. its not just about speed and technicality, although that's in here as well. it's a dynamic Thrash album, and again, not my favorite Thrash album, but still very damn good.

7/10

96.) Dumbsaint- Something That You Feel Will Find Its Own Form

This is a very strange Post Rock album to me. In that there is not the typical HIGH LOW HIGH LOW, or LOW HIGH LOW HIGH Post Rock songwriting. It sometimes stays heavy all the way through, or soft all the way through. it's a much more aggressive Post Rock album than you would normally find. To me that is a great thing because it shows there can be even more dynamics in Post Rock than there already are. Definitely check this one out for some aggressive Post Rock, it will take you by surprise.

8/10

97.) Pepe Deluxe- Queen Of The Wave

I....I have no idea how to categorize this album. There is every single type of ROCK genre in this album, Hard Rock, Surf Pop, Blues, Hip Hop. This literally can please any music fan out there, especially those of you with an open mind. It does take a couple listens to really appreciate this album if you don't know what to expect from it, but once it clicks....OOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH. This is probably 3rd in my favorite non-metal albums of the year, but that said I rank it very damn high. GET IT, GET IT NOW!

9/10

98.) Swallow The Sun- Emerald Forest And The Blackbird

Oh yes, Folk Metal. This is an album i am once again surprised not to see more people drooling over. This may very well be their finest work and it feels as though it fell to the wayside. It has impeccable musicianship and songwriting and damn good production at that. The only downside I can see for some people is the length of the songs, but given that it is Swallow the Sun, what did you expect? Give this very underrated album a chance, it deserves it.

8/10

99.) Eluveitie- Halvetios

This album is at number 21 for me. It was in my Top 20 pretty much all year since it was released. The only reason it is at number twenty one and not in my top 20 is a few surprise albums that I never expected to make it that far. A fantastic Folk Metal concept album that hits all the right spots and draws you in and doesn't let you go. this is the best Eluveitie album, without a shadow of a doubt. it makes you wanna go into an epic battle and come out victorious!

9/10

100.) Aviyn- Aviyn

Given the description that was in the promo, I did not expect to like these guys much. Breakdowns, Djent and Post Hardcore style cleans. But I am actually pleasantly surprised by it. Not as much as I could have been but this is actually quite impressive for the genre. It's not something I would go back to all the time, but upon hearing it, I quite enjoy it and is one of the finer albums to come out of this style, also their cover of Deftones Diamond Eye is the best Deftones cover I've heard to date. If you can withstand breakdowns and Djent at all, check it out!

6/10

Ok that's 100 album down, which is about 90-75 more albums then most people I know will check out in a year. and I still have almost 27GBs of music left to go through. I hope you guys have found at least one album to check out and enjoy in this list, if you have, I have done my job so far. if not. I got a lot more to show you.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Thumbs up

This thread is a pretty fantastic effort.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
This thread is a pretty fantastic effort.

Thanks man!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
95.) Bonded By Blood- The Aftermath[/b]

Int he Aftermath of yet another lineup change, I think BOB has finally found their sound. it's very much a Thrash Metal album, but it's a bit more as well. there are some slower paced songs and Mid-Tempo. its not just about speed and technicality, although that's in here as well. it's a dynamic Thrash album, and again, not my favorite Thrash album, but still very damn good.

[b]7/10
It's nice to find someone else that actually likes this album. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck and I listen to it quite often. It's still my least favourite of theirs, but it's still pretty awesome.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM
with his arms outstretched

Quote:
61.) 63.) Fear Factory- The Industrialist

As the name suggest, this is the most Industrial sounding Fear Factory album in quite some time. Its a good album. I'm quite bummed that there isn't real drums on this album. But I am glad they have a real drummer live, or else that would have been incredibly lame. Musically, I do like Mechanize a lot more, but The Industrialist. The one turn off on this album more then anything is the instrumental 9 minute final track that goes absolutely nowhere. Much like Strapping Young Lad's Alien where Info Dump was just synths and guitar distortion and feedback. Maybe I'm just missing out on something? But it is a good album sans those aspects, Fear factory fans should love this album!
[b]
5/10
That's just a Fear Factory thing I've come to expect. They did it on Demanufacture and Archetype. I agree, the album was a five.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:

91.) Prong- Carved Into Stone[/b]

Prong has been one of my favorite bands for quite some time. They are much more then Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. They are very badass Groove Metal and a very damn technical band at that. Carved into Stone is just a fun, killer album that hits very pinpoint you'd want from Prong, and I'd say one of their most well balanced albums to date. Enjoy this one, it's so very rare for a band to be around as long as Prong and write this damn good of an album!
[b]
9/10
Right on point w/ this. Best they've done since Cleansing easily. Shame, I have a feeling this won't be on too many end of the year lists but it is such a great return album for them.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
It's nice to find someone else that actually likes this album. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck and I listen to it quite often. It's still my least favourite of theirs, but it's still pretty awesome.
Its my favorite of their vocally because the first couple I had a really hard time getting past the vocal style. Musically its my least favorite as well, but still awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
That's just a Fear Factory thing I've come to expect. They did it on Demanufacture and Archetype. I agree, the album was a five.
Yeah, that is true. Although my copy of Archetype ends with their cover of Nirvana's School. That is still my favorite FF album, although I'll never get to hear any songs from it live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Right on point w/ this. Best they've done since Cleansing easily. Shame, I have a feeling this won't be on too many end of the year lists but it is such a great return album for them.
Very much agreed. I think one of the biggest reasons it will not show up much on any Top Lists is because it was released so early. if it had come out in September/October it would be. But then again they wouldn't have been able to do the tours they have this year. it's a catch 22.