King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014
Ash Borer -- Birmingham, AL -- July 6th, 2014

Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM
brotuhl

Primus -- New York, NY -- October 19th, 2012

For a first time seeing Primus, this setlist was absolutely perfect. Perhaps next time, they'll bring back Wynona's Big Brown Beaver or Sgt Baker. Kinda surprised about there being no My Name is Mud. Tweakers, American Life, and Grapevine easily make up for it, though.

I know not many people are fans of the new album, but they chose the best tracks off of it. Lee Van Cleef and Eternal Consumption Engine being the highlights.

The 3D/RealD screen added a very interesting aspect to the live music, but it certainly wasn't where the audience's attention was, throughout the show. Monica Lewinsky could be performing a live 2 hour blowjob on Bill Clinton himself, if Les Claypool were playing his bass between our visage and that sight, he'd still win.

Larry, who Les described as "looking a lot like Roy Orbison, these days," has moved up in the world, since his time in Possessed. For a while, I thought he had the easiest job in the world, as a guitar player. Wrong. Very wrong. His leads and rhythms, from actual live renditions of the recordings up to the jam parts of each song, were all spot on.

Set 1:
American Life
Prelude to a Crawl/Last Salmon Man
Frizzle Fry
Over the Falls
Lee Van Cleef
Eyes of the Squirrel
Hamburger Train
Del Davis Tree Farm
Those Damned Blue Collar Tweakers

Set 2:
The Return of Sathington Wilhoughby
Moron TV
Southbound Pachyderm
Eternal Consumption Engine
Glass Sandwich
Jilly's on Smack
Big Rock Candy Mountain
Hat's Off
Over the Electric Grapevine
Hello Skinny (The Residents cover)
Jerry Was a Racecar Driver

Encore:
HOINFODAMAN
Tommy the Cat/The Awakening/Tommy the Cat

Also, is it just me, or is the breakdown in Jerry Was a Racecar Driver one of the heaviest sections in music, ever?
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
Also, is it just me, or is the breakdown in Jerry Was a Racecar Driver one of the heaviest sections in music, ever?
I'm with you on that one. That set is pretty good but nothing too spectacular.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
brotuhl

For a first time, it was all I could ask for.

It says on the 11th, you're going to go see Red Fang and Torche/Kveletak. Did Red Fang get added to the bill or are the playing somewhere else?
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
It says on the 11th, you're going to go see Red Fang and Torche/Kveletak. Did Red Fang get added to the bill or are the playing somewhere else?
Red Fang is doing an in store show/signing at Looney Tunes in West Babylon earlier in the day.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Professor Nutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I'm with you on that one. That set is pretty good but nothing too spectacular.
i really hope you are joking, as that set is fucking incredible, possibly one of the top 10 sets they have ever played.
if i can get a set like that this sat or sun. the only weak song for the entire show is squirrel.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Professor Nutbutter

Quote:
For a first time seeing Primus, this setlist was absolutely perfect. Perhaps next time, they'll bring back Wynona's Big Brown Beaver or Sgt Baker. Kinda surprised about there being no My Name is Mud. Tweakers, American Life, and Grapevine easily make up for it, though.

I know not many people are fans of the new album, but they chose the best tracks off of it. Lee Van Cleef and Eternal Consumption Engine being the highlights.
congrats to a phenomenal show for your first. on this tour, mud for the most part is being played every other show and beaver on about half the shows, but randomly. and i really like the new album.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Music? Yeah... it's my life.

I missed out on MNIM in Providence too... I love that song and have yet to see it live - for some reason they leave it out every time I see them!

I'll post the setlist for Providence in a seperate thread, but it seemed to be more "trippy" songs, rather than the heavier stuff I was hoping for.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
brotuhl

I think the oddest thing I've seen in their set for this tour is an instrumental version of Tommy the Cat. Not sure how I feel about that...
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Larry, who Les described as "looking a lot like Roy Orbison, these days," has moved up in the world, since his time in Possessed. For a while, I thought he had the easiest job in the world, as a guitar player. Wrong. Very wrong. His leads and rhythms, from actual live renditions of the recordings up to the jam parts of each song, were all spot on.
Larry has always been a very underrated guitarist. He does some really technical work, even on their earliest recordings. All three guys are phenominal musicians but the focus has always been on Les.

Quote:
I think the oddest thing I've seen in their set for this tour is an instrumental version of Tommy the Cat. Not sure how I feel about that...
I never liked it with Les' vocals. They're the polar opposite of Tom Waits.

Wicked setlits. Del Davis' Tree Farm, the Return of Sathington Wilhoughby and Glass Sandwich are three I never thought they'd play. You're lucky to see those.

Tags
primus