Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
That's not a problem with the album, that's just your personal gripe with it.
Yep.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
That's not a problem with the album, that's just your personal gripe with it.
I'm with JRA here. It IS a problem. It's fucking boring. And I get the whole thing where some albums take a while to click with you, but I HATE having to TRY and like an album. It has happened to me before, but generally if I don't like an album after say, 2 listens, I'm done. On to the next one. There's too much music out there for me to listen to to spend time on stuff I don't like.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I'm with JRA here. It IS a problem. It's fucking boring. And I get the whole thing where some albums take a while to click with you, but I HATE having to TRY and like an album. It has happened to me before, but generally if I don't like an album after say, 2 listens, I'm done. On to the next one. There's too much music out there for me to listen to to spend time on stuff I don't like.
The album clicked with me on my first listen. I pretty sure Baroness made this album knowing that not everybody was gonna like it. If the new direction isn't your thing that's fine but I don't think it's fair to say they fucked up because it seems to me that they succeeded in exactly what they were trying to do.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
The album clicked with me on my first listen. I pretty sure Baroness made this album knowing that not everybody was gonna like it. If the new direction isn't your thing that's fine but I don't think it's fair to say they fucked up because it seems to me that they succeeded in exactly what they were trying to do.
I didn't say they fucked up. I said I don't like it and that it's boring. I'm sure they did expect that kind of reaction too, any time you have a metal band who is trying to break into a bit of a different genre, usually that means incorporating more mellow/acoustic/soft elements into the music, and when your fan base is made up of people who want heavy/fast/chaotic music, it's going to cause a divide. I, for one, know what I like. I don't like Yellow & Green. Does it mean I won't listen to another Baroness album? Nope. I just won't listen to this one very much if at all.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I, for one, know what I like.
I don't. I guess that's why I like it.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
The problem with the "mellow at first but gets heavy" tracks is Baroness are already spending way too much time being mellow to begin with. If you're rocking 6 tracks in a row, then you're allowed to switch it up like that. But the problem is, they're spending so much goddamn time being "beautiful" that by the time one of the "epic" tracks comes up, I'm too pissed off to care.
Oh no, I get it. That's why I posted the comments that I did - bacause I was once in your shoes.

However, after I accepted the fact that this was a completely different album from anything the band had done previously, then all I had to do was ask myself, "do you like this?" Plain and simple. Ask yourself - if it were an album by another band - would you like it? Once I freed myself of the expectations that had been built up by virtue of the band's previous work, it got a lot easier to appreciate Yellow & Green, because the fact is that there are some great moments on the album. Is it flawless? No. Is it chock full of awesomeness? No. Like I said, a few songs are awesome, several are good, a few are just OK. It also has some flat-out turds on it, but out of eighteen songs, I can handle a couple of warts.

I just think that if you're able to get to the point where you listen to it 100% independently of who made the album, you might find more to like.

Or maybe not. Yellow & Green ain't for everybody.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Like I said, a few songs are awesome, several are good, a few are just OK. It also has some flat-out turds on it, but out of eighteen songs, I can handle a couple of warts.
Yeah. I mean, in the history of rock you can probably count on one hand the number of double albums that are masterpieces from front to back. Being, like, 90% awesome is a success in my book.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Ask yourself - if it were an album by another band - would you like it? Once I freed myself of the expectations that had been built up by virtue of the band's previous work, it got a lot easier to appreciate Yellow & Green, because the fact is that there are some great moments on the album.
I will confess I do fall under that particular trap with certain bands, as some tend to succumb to weaknesses or trappings more than others. and that is a great idea about any other band.

However, I can for certain say, that if this was the new High on Fire or Van Halen album, I would still be fucking pissed. Probably even moreso than usual.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

If any band Matt Pike was in were to release an album that sounded like Yellow & Green, I would be instantly and irrevocably convinced that Matt had either lost his fucking mind or was being controlled by aliens from another dimension.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

My point exactly. and it's not even based on musical personality, no band daring to call themselves a rock band should ever release something with 60% acoustic fluff.

Christ, I'm sure even Mikael Akerfeldt is laughing at these guys.