Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Anthrax -- Montreal, Quebec -- October 2nd, 2012

Venue: Metropolis

It had been a long time since I had not been to such a crowded metal gig not in a festival context and it was pretty cool. I met a lot of people I knew, including a friend from college and another one from high school who both rarely go to shows. I got there straight on time, but Death Angel had already starting and were blazing and screaming through the awesome "Mistress of Pain". Someone told me they opened with "I Chose the Sky", which they always do. Speaking of always doing something, this was my third time witnessing the San Francisco thrasher and it felt like I had seen the same show three times. They played the same songs as always and Mark made the same long speeches he always makes. Still, I have to admit they have some great energy going and that the pits were fun. That being said, the only thing that would make me go see them for a fourth time would be if they played the whole Ultra-Violence album, as they're going to do in the US next month. That would rock.

The concert really started with Death Angel's friends and Bay Area neighbors Testament. The band was spot on: Chuck's vocals were badass, the guitar duo was fantastic and Gene tighted it up. However, quality sound wasn't there to support them. The usual Metropolis sonic plague had hit them, which means everything was way too loud and buried in thick low frequency mud. Gene Hoglan's bass drums and fat snare and Greg Christian's bass were far louder than the guitars, making the complex melodies of the riffs to classic songs like "The New Order" difficult to understand. It must have sounded like total crap to the people who didn't know the songs already (if they really exist). The songs that shined the most throughout this muddy mix were the mid-tempo crushers like "Dark Roots of Earth" and "3 Days in Darkness", but my highlights were still the three songs they played from The New Order, which were absolutely pit-tastic. The pits were actually very violent (and fun) and the band seemed to be pleased by them and by the general insanity of the crowd on that tuesday night. Alex Skolnick and Chuck Billy especially looked like two happy campers.

Next was what I call an extremely memorable performance. The flag bearers of the New York thrash scene completely exceded my expectations. I would have thought that after all this intensive touring (the Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel tour is on its third leg and was preceded by the Big 4 one) Joey Belladonna would have trouble with his throat. If this was the case, it wasn't apparent at all. His screams in "Deathrider", which was dedicated to Denis Blanchette from the Metropolis staff who was recently killed by a crazy english francophobe, were bone chilling. The vocal interactions between him and the gutarists in the Among the Living tracks also brought a lot of dynamism to the show. The band was incredible and the sound was clearer than for Testament, but I have to say that the funnest thing was the moshing. As soon as the first chords to "Caught in a Mosh" echoed throughout the venue, the whole place turned into a war zone. During "Indians", Scott Ian did the regular stop before the "war dance" part, but this time he said something like "I usually stop this song because the crowd isn't moving enough, but you guys are fucking nuts. This time it because I wanted to thank you, Montreal" and it surely was not faked, because those circle pits were enormous. In moments like these, you feel extreme pride. The pits during "Madhouse" and the fast part of "I Am the Law" were pure nonsense too. If there were more concerts like this, I wouldn't have to exercise anymore to stay in shape. My only complaint would be about the exclusion of songs that they played on previous american dates like "Among the Living" and "A.I.R.". They really should have left out "Be All, End All" and played one of these instead. Maybe it was just that their fill-in drummer (who was really good by the way) didn't know them yet.

Death Angel

I Chose the Sky
Mistress of Pain
Truce
Claws in So Deep
Relentless Revolution
The Ultra-Violence/Thrown to the Wolves

Testament

Rise Up
The New Order
The Preacher
Native Blood
True American Hate
More Than Meets the Eye
Dark Roots of Earth
Into the Pit
Practice What You Preach
Over the Wall
D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
3 Days in Darkness

Anthrax

Worship (intro)
Fight 'Em Til You Can't
Caught in a Mosh
Antisocial (Trust cover)
Indians
Hymn 1 (intro)
In the End
The Devil You Know
Deathrider
In My World
Be All, End All

---------------------------------

Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
Got the Time (Joe Jackson cover)
Madhouse

---------------------------------

I Am the Law

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 10-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Fill in drummer was Jason Bittner, and he can play all those songs that were cut.

Apparently 13 songs is more than enough to Anthrax........
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Fill in drummer was Jason Bittner, and he can play all those songs that were cut.

Lame.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

I hope someday they will actually try when composing setlists...but I am skeptical.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

fucking crazy show, the 3 bands were on top form but really Anthrax destroyed the place. I was sad they N.F.L. was exchanged for Be All, End All lately so when they started the encores with it I went apeshit

great great show

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Wait, I thought 14 songs was the magic number? Usually an Anthrax headline set doesn't go beyond that. They can at least keep Earth On Hell as the opener, right? I guess the extra 3 mins and 10 seconds on stage would just kill them

Nice to see that In My World has been getting played at every show so far on this leg. I thought for sure after the second or third time they played it the song would've dropped completely and buried it for another ten years.

Their shows are very intense and draining, so in a way I understand why their sets have always been a little bit shorter than we would like.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 10-03-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Yeah, but it's bullshit that the opening shows got all those + AIR, Earth on Hell & Among the Living. They obviously can do it, Jason can do all those songs.

I was kinda disappointed when I saw this show in KC in January and Anthrax only did 12 songs. Even though it's understandable since Scott got sick, so he wasn't there and Eric Peterson, Alex Skolnick, Ted Aguilar & Rob Cavestany all had less than 24 hours to learn their songs.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
N00B

Jealous you guys got NFL and Madhouse. They didn't play those in Saskatoon.
Nov 23rd - Devin Townsend Project (?)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Wait, I thought 14 songs was the magic number? Usually an Anthrax headline set doesn't go beyond that. They can at least keep Earth On Hell as the opener, right? I guess the extra 3 mins and 10 seconds on stage would just kill them

Nice to see that In My World has been getting played at every show so far on this leg. I thought for sure after the second or third time they played it the song would've dropped completely and buried it for another ten years.

Their shows are very intense and draining, so in a way I understand why their sets have always been a little bit shorter than we would like.
I get your point but they don't go any harder than any other bands. What it really comes down to is its inexcusable to do 65-70 minute "headlining" sets. I love Anthrax but they are shit at picking setlists.

They are very active, but not an excuse. Overkill is just as active on stage & they manage to do a longer show.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Thrash to Kill

Fucken amazing.
My buddies, VoidFlame and I were banging to Long Live Rock n' Roll after the set, just made the night that much better

Tags
anthrax, death angel, testament